Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Block Party Bash

G-Fan and I went to see the Block Party bash at DHS yesterday. Made a special trip for that one little thing.
    In short, I will have to say that I enjoyed the performance a lot. The performers are quite energetic and get into the spirit of things by reving up the guests into silly little things like shouting and jumping etc etc. Many of them were also very pretty and in great physical shape, which prompts me to believe most of them came here from CA's DCA? We don't see than many good looking kids around town on a regular basis I tell you.

I did see this show back during DL's 50th anniversary week at DCA, and didn't think much of it, nor do I recall most of it. I suppose these floats were the same they used at DCA?
    Still, after being stuck for years with that mediocre Motorcade parade, it's nice to see something energetic parading down Hollywood Blvd at WDW's DHS, not to mention..something that requires a big cast to perform. This is in fact the closest we have ever come to DL-like streetaculars here in Orlando, and I am greatful for it. I however fear that some aspects of this parade will begin to be deleted or cut off in the coming weeks... just an educated guess on my part folks... but when the summer weather begins to heat up, I can see many of these performers challenged to their physical core.

Some surprises... the parade started at the front of the park and made it's way towards Star Tours, unlike it's predecesor. I was told there were three show stops, but to my knowledge, there were two. Those closest to Indy Jones Show and Star Tours missed on that. I was surprised to see several characters I have never seen before at a WDW park, especially during the Monster's portion of the show. I loved the Mr. Potato walk around. Clever use of this suit. I had forgotten the show uses common non-Disney music..
    (Celebrate good times C'MON!! by Cool and the Gang is totally UNcool.) So that was a negative aspect for me, even though the music was well chosen to create a sense of "party-ing" and "participation". I like original music with my parades.

All in all, it's a cool show. Guests react positively to it, and are left pumped up after it! I sure was, and that is the bottom line. Plus, many kids get to do hoola hoops before the parade which is probably the only excersice they will get in their lifetimes, and that's a good thing.

TDLFAN rates it a B. Go check it out.

Re: Block Party Bash

Nice report. I can't wait to see it later this year in it's new home.

Yes, they are the same exact floats from DCA. However, it was already reduced in size during it's DCA-life before being shipped off to DHS

• Minion

Is there any particular reason it starts at the front of the park? That sounds kinda odd.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

It probably starts at the front because it is a greater distance from the break area and performers need to stay in full costume. Having step down at Star Tours gives the performers a much shorter distance to removing their costume and cooling down with some water!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Is there any particular reason it starts at the front of the park? That sounds kinda odd.
    Honestly, this is not as odd to me as it may be to others. Parades at the MK always started at Town Square and traveled to Frontierland from 1971 until 1991. At DHS (ex-MGM) they have done parades that traveled in that direction as well... like the Aladdin parade in the early 90s, if I recall better. Personally, I prefer it this way since many who would like to leave the park after the parade can do so without getting in the way of those who are still seeing the parade further down the route.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

TDLFAN, thanks for the review of Block Party Bash. I was big fan of BPB here on the West Coast and definitely miss it. But at the same time, I think it's great it got sent over to Orlando, since it gave us a new parade over here. I'll be looking forward to enjoying BPB whenever I visit WDW next.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    G-Fan and I went to see the Block Party bash at DHS yesterday.

I suppose these floats were the same they used at DCA?
    From what I read in all the BPB threads after it's last performance at DCA, all the current floats were shipped out to DHS. So yes, they are the same. The parade itself was scaled down in the Fall of 2006 from the original version that premiered for the 50th Anniversary. I'm guessing it's this configuration that is currently at DHS. The biggest element that was removed was the "Dim" unit that was part of the bug's life float. Thanks again for the review!!!

• Banned User

I hate it when they scale things down at the US parks. Rarely do we see this at TDR, except after an initial re-adjustment period, to improve the flow of the show like they did for BraviSEAmo, or in "Moving On"s case, after a float malfunction which required the unplanned removal of some units.. Is this done because of budget cuts in putting on the show daily or what?

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    TDLFAN, thanks for the review of Block Party Bash. I was big fan of BPB here on the West Coast and definitely miss it. But at the same time, I think it's great it got sent over to Orlando, since it gave us a new parade over here. I'll be looking forward to enjoying BPB whenever I visit WDW next.
    I, too, miss it from DCA. It's the things that go that you will miss greatly. Maybe one day in the future, I will made it to FL and watch it again for old time sake.

•   
    • Seasick

I wasn't too impressed with it at DCA. I think having a larger crowd cheering it on will enhance the experience. I agree 100% that the music was disappointing.

I didn't really feel BPB was long enough to be called a parade. I saw no point in watching it unless at a show stop location. I wonder how this aspect of it will translate to the Studios?

• Banned User

It translated just fine. They did two show stops. One within Hollywood Blvd and the other from the Hat, all the way to Indy's show.

I would not call this a parade. It's a "streetacular".

And if the show didn't thrill you ar DCA, then it won't make much difference at DHS. I would recommend skipping if that is the case. Me? I gave it a decent review because the Motorcade parade was so cheap and unimpressive, this is quite an improvement. But I enjoyed the presentation and appreciated the performers' hard work throughout the entire performance.

• Yes?

I would completely agree with this. It is not really a parade, more of an interactive moving dance party. We saw it on Monday as well. Woody picked my 3 year old daughter to dance with during one of the segments, no one else seemed to get the idea that you could get up and interact at that point so he just pulled her out of her stroller and they went to town dancing. She loved it, and the little balls that shoot out at the end. The only thing I didn't like that makes it almost necessary to see it more than once is depending on where you are on the route you only get one section. We had the Toy Story section, so I would like to see more of the other sections in action but would have to go see it at least 2 more times and sit at different areas of the route each time. Too bad I didn't know you were there TDL or I would have liked to have said "Hi!"
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

•   
    • Seasick

It translated just fine. They did two show stops. One within Hollywood Blvd and the other from the Hat, all the way to Indy's show.

I just wonder if guests at WDW, not used to this type of "parade", line up along the parade route only to be disappointed when a mere two floats roll by?

BC_DisneyGeek well the point of it is that it's more of a show that rolls to a certain spot. And there are certainly more than two mere floats that roll by. The floats are huge and impressive and the main part of the show is the 11 minute show stop you see, so it's a little more than two mere floats rolling by.

This is probably a stupid question, but this didn't replace HSM2 did it? They still have both, right?
    -Tim

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but this didn't replace HSM2 did it? They still have both, right?
    Yes. HSM2 has a permanant spot by RRC/TOT now. It replaced the old Stars and Motors Cars parade.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast