Thread: Honeymoon Help

• Done waiting!!

Honeymoon Help

I'm sure this has been posted a gazillion times here but my fiancee and I were thinking about honeymooning at WDW after our summer wedding. We've never been to Orlando but we visit the DLR at least once a month and want to spend about a week at WDW, doing each park in no more than a day each. I'd like to avoid renting a car so I figure we'd stay at one of the resort hotels. What advice can you all give me on any and all aspects of a trip like this? We really want to keep it as reasonably priced as well. Thanks for your help!
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Honeymoon Help

The Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans French Quarter I would say are the 2 best bets for a romantic, honeymooning couple. Both are less expensive than the deluxe hotels, but are quite romantic and secluded. Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge might also be a great romantic dinner. I would also suggest at least a trip to the Polynesian for some more tropical romance.

Whatever you do, just enjoy your time together! Congratulations!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    I'm sure this has been posted a gazillion times here but my fiancee and I were thinking about honeymooning at WDW after our summer wedding. We've never been to Orlando but we visit the DLR at least once a month and want to spend about a week at WDW, doing each park in no more than a day each. I'd like to avoid renting a car so I figure we'd stay at one of the resort hotels. What advice can you all give me on any and all aspects of a trip like this? We really want to keep it as reasonably priced as well. Thanks for your help!
    Hi & good luck to both of you. I would suggest at the least, stay at one of the moderates where you can get a king bedded room. I can't imagine newlyweds sleeping in double beds, which is what you will find at the value resorts. You can request a king bed at a value but there is no guarantee. Most of the king bedded rooms at the values are handicap accessable rooms and they will always get first crack at them. You pay a little extra at the moderates for a king bedded room but at least it is guaranteed. Go with park hopper passes as that will give you the advantage of doing more than one park a day. You don't say when in the summer you are travelling but keep in mind,usually towards the end of the summer, Disney offers the FREE dining program which would be great for you.

• We'll hold them at bay

If you do spend time at POFQ, a good choice I might add, make sure you take the boat ride to Downtown Disney. The ride for Old Key West (another good choice) is good too.

Eat at the San Angel Inn, its dark and romantic

Spend a night walking the Boardwalk

I would also have a few drinks at the Adventurer's Club, a good couples thing.

Also, eat at Bomas and then take in the Savannah and the beauty of the resort
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post

Also, eat at Bomas and then take in the Savannah and the beauty of the resort
    The resort is the Animal Kingdom Lodge, in case you weren't sure.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Why can't you tune a fish

What I would do, if I was honeymooning at WDW, are some non-park romantic activites.

A spa day at any of the resort spas.

If you like fine dining and can swing the cost, dinner at V&A

Maybe rent a boat on SSL or along the Sassagoula

Share a hammock at Poly or Carribbean Beach

Rent a surrey - not my cup of tea, but if you or your wife think it sounds cool, go for it.

At this point you are supposed to be enjoying each other as much as you are enjoying WDW. You can go play golf while she hits DTD when you have been married 20 years

Of course you may both enjoy going commando in the parks for a day (yeah, that's a straight line if anybody wants to pick up on it ) You know each other better than anybody else.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Former CM

My wife and I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for our honeymoon. Try to take more then a week if you can. Try relaxing and not to rush through any of the parks. Also make dining reserverations asap.

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort on our honeymoon and we loved it. I liked that each building was like it's own smaller resort secluded from the others (sort of). I agree with the drinks at the Adventurers Club, see a show in the library and you will remember it for years.

We had a nice romantic dinner at the restaurant in the little building on the water at the Grand Floridian (obviously, I can't remember the name). With all the restaurants at WDW, I'm sure you can find plenty for a romantic dinner.

And yes, skip the rent-a-car. We rented one (we flew into Miami and drove up) but once we got to WDW, it sat parked for days.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by daffodilklown View Post
    We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort on our honeymoon and we loved it. I liked that each building was like it's own smaller resort secluded from the others (sort of).
    I did as well. I liked Aruba, which is right across the lake from the Custom House and easy, pleasant walk
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Figment-a-holic

I will be having a short Disney Honeymoon too in a few months!

One thing that I've done is the Disney Honeymoon registry which I think is really great because I don't really need much more stuff for my kitchen (but I always need more Disney stuff). This will really keep your price down as well.

It's great because you can register for hotel nights, for dinners for restaurants, and for merchandise, even pins (if that's your thing)! It's free for you and your guests to use if you're staying at a Disney Hotel. For all of the info you could ever want, look here: http://honeymoonregistry.disney.go.c...stryPageRender

If you do decide to go with the registry, one thing you might want to do is get dinner at Victoria and Albert's at the Grand Floridan Hotel (which is on the monorail right by the Magic Kingdom). It is considered the best restaurant to eat at in WDW. She sat at the Chef's table and they had a 7 course dinner with a personalized menu which took several hours to eat.
    It costs and arm and a leg to get in, but my friend who just honeymooned there said it's totally worth it with the registry!

If you don't want to do the registry, this is what I suggest in short:
    Park Ticket: Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper Option, but not “No expiration” – 7 days = $281.16 If you want to go to the water parks, it will cost more.
    Park tickets for how long: A day less than you’ll be there (you probably don’t want the tickets for the day you’re leaving)
    Transportation to/from hotel: Disney’s Magical Express (it’s free with Disney Hotel Stay)
    Transportation to/from park to Disney hotel: free bus to and from parks from hotels on Disney property
    Food: Don’t do the dining plan, you get a lot of food, but you can get cheap, but tasty food elsewhere

• Disneyholic

Well When My wife and I got married we did our honeymoon at WDW (wow almost 11 years ago... and she still puts up with me... ) and have made it back practically every year since, I personally recommend the Polynesian for the most romantic hotel on property as thats where we stayed and it was wonderful in every respect, Second choice would be the Wilderness lodge.

Some Do's to add to the list:

• Do get the buttons at town hall or your resort showing your on your honeymoon (not hard to figure you guys out but hey) and you may get some special treatment. We received a free cake and champaign at the rose and crown after lunch one day since we where on our honeymoon and our waitress was also a red head.
    • Do get the dorky mouse ear top hat and bridal veils. Same reason as above.
    • Do try to visit Pleasure Island and the adventurers club and other "adult" things like the world showcase in Epcot, once you have little ones it may be a while before you can go back...
    • Plan it out and relax and have fun... remember after the honeymoon's over well you'll find out
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

One of the things we loved doing on our 2nd honeymoon was the Around the World Segway Tour. It was probably one of the highlights of the trip. The best special treatment we received was at our anniversary lunch at Le Cellier.

Try finding a quiet place to watch Illuminations or Wishes. We never watched either from in front of the Castle. It was much more special.

POFQ is a really nice moderate hotel. It has a cozy feeling, plus it isn't spread out like some of the other moderates.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Chickles View Post
    She sat at the Chef's table and they had a 7 course dinner with a personalized menu which took several hours to eat. It costs and arm and a leg to get in, but my friend who just honeymooned there said it's totally worth it with the registry!

I don't think I would do the Chef's table on a honeymoon for the following reasons.

1) It's a big ol' wooden table in the kitchen. You are watching the chef's cook. You see the hot, noisy kitchen - not particulary romantic

2) The chef cooks for you. He (or she) comes over, talks to you, makes suggestions, cooks dishes, brings them to you, talks to you about what is in them, etc. Again, not particulary romantic.

3) If you want to book it for a particluar date, do it now. I don't care what date you want - it's not available. Seriously, the Chef's table at V&A requires very advanced booking.

I think it's a great thing, and I would love to eat a meal at the Chef's Table in V&A. However, for a romantic, quiet, "looking into each others eyes" type of meal, I would go with a normal table out on the floor, maybe request one in the room with the harpist.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Disneyholic

I have to concur with Dave, V&A Chef's table is not romantic but if you are a foodie or looking for a once in a lifetime dining experience I say go for it.

Now for romance nothing says I love you like sharing a plate full of spaghetti and meatball's at Tony's and rolling the last meatball over to your lovely bride with your nose... I have it on good authority the Lady's love it.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...