Thread: Motion Sickness

Motion Sickness

Do you get sick on the rides? I love speed but spin kills me. Before they added the non-spinning side to Mission Space the CM's would always notice my green pallor and check-up on me to see if I was OK. I can do ToT and RnR a couple times each but if I go much more than that at once then I will certainly be sick (Not throwing up, just sick).

In preparation for this trip I got a prescription for Scopace (Same drug as in the Scopalmine patches but in a pill form), I did not want a patch when I was going to be sweaty (Seattleites don't see the 80's until August). I'm not going to press my luck but if it works well on the first day then maybe I'll be up for teacups or astro-orbiter on day 2!
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Motion Sickness

If you can do Mission:Space at all, you are doing much better than I ever will!

I have just done it once per trip, no need to press my luck. Of course everyone else loves it so I harass my relatives with emails of me from space while waiting for them to go 2-3 times each
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?

I can't handle jerkiness, spinning, or going backwards. I can handle spinning if it's an indoor thing that has no visual cues that I'm moving, if that makes sense.

• Minion

I guess it varies by individual because I can handle all types of spinning, shaking, rolling, rotating etc. rides (visual cues or not) without any ill effects. My wife, on the other hand, cannot handle any of the spinning rides, including slow ones like ferris wheels and carousels. Edit: She can't handle spinning rides or any rides that fool your senses, like Soarin, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    I guess it varies by individual because I can handle all types of spinning, shaking, rolling, rotating etc. rides (visual cues or not) without any ill effects. My wife, on the other hand, cannot handle any of the spinning rides, including slow ones like ferris wheels and carousels. Edit: She can't handle spinning rides or any rides that fool your senses, like Soarin, for example.
    Maybe we should coordinate our trips so you and my girlfriend can do the crazy rides, while your wife and I do tamer stuff.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by MouseHipster View Post
    Maybe we should coordinate our trips so you and my girlfriend can do the crazy rides, while your wife and I do tamer stuff.
    Like 'Wife Swap'...minus the arguments and breakups.

Last edited by EPCOT; 03-27-2008 at 10:34 AM.

• That's a lot of look.

I've heard that ginger helps with motion sickness. I'm NOT a medical practitioner of any sort nor do I suffer from motion sickness. However, I do get all of my medical advice from "Mythbusters" (hee!), where Grant and Adam were helped by consuming ginger before getting on a vomit-inducing spinning chair.

A search in the forums for their show says that they used ginger pills. Another poster says something called Preggie Pops helps pregnant women with morning sickness and is also effective for the non-pregnant suffering from nausea.

Hope this helps.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

primevil Whirl made me sick. I should have known better than to ride something I can't pronounce properly

• Sailing Away

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    A search in the forums for their show says that they used ginger pills. Another poster says something called Preggie Pops helps pregnant women with morning sickness and is also effective for the non-pregnant suffering from nausea.
    Very interesting. Good to know!

I can spin without a lot of problems, but can't deal with coasters or vertical drops (ToT was fun.....not).
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

It's pretty interesting to how different motions affect different people. I am planning to do orange mission space as the test for me as it hits me the hardest. If I am sick after MS then I will maintain my cautious approach.

It's not really that bad for me except that once I feel sick then every ride from then on that day adds just a bit to it. Not every ride of course, I can handle the spinning in Carousel of Progress just fine, thanks.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Luckily, I have very very few issues with this type of thing! (knock on wood!!)
    I hope the meds work for you
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Star Tours made me sick the first (and only) time I rode it. I can do Soarin no problem, but I'll never climb aboard Star Tours again. My friend and I usually avoid the Teacups as well. We're sort of lame when it comes to adventurous rides, but I think that this is the beauty of WDW. There is something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldduck675 View Post
    Star Tours made me sick the first (and only) time I rode it.
    I had totally forgotten how sick Body Wars made me but I have been on Star Tours at least a dozen times with no problem. I guess that shows you that it is not really the motion itself that makes me sick, must be something about flying through fluids rather than space