Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help plan our first trip, please.

Hello all, we live in Northern California and take many trips a year to Disneyland. We are now preparing for our first trip to Disney world. I feel like we have Disneyland down cold but I am completely lost about the size of Disney.

We are a family of 4 our little ones are 4 & 7. We typically go to Disneyland in January, February, October & November. Hubby does not like heat or crowds.
    Our youngest has some medical issues and gets tired easily. e always stay close by at Disneyland so that we can take her back for nap.

So what time of year should we come and what Hotel?
    To me the size of Disney is overwhelming right now.

Any tips would be great. Thank you!
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Please help plan our first trip, please.

if you're going for value....Pop century is my favorite. I have a 5 year old and there are 3 pools there...so, no matter what time of day, we can find one less crowded for her to enjoy. The meals there are terrific too. It's more of a food court, and that means there's something for the grown ups and the picky little ones. The decorations are large and colorful...perfect for little ones.

As for time....we have enjoyed it the most in Sept and Nov. The crowds were tiny and the weather was cool and tolerable.

• Gawrsh!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    if you're going for value....Pop century is my favorite. I have a 5 year old and there are 3 pools there...so, no matter what time of day, we can find one less crowded for her to enjoy. The meals there are terrific too. It's more of a food court, and that means there's something for the grown ups and the picky little ones. The decorations are large and colorful...perfect for little ones.

As for time....we have enjoyed it the most in Sept and Nov. The crowds were tiny and the weather was cool and tolerable.

I must agree with Stitchy! My favorite time of year is Sept - Nov. While Sept can still be hot, the crowds are less....it is also Value season so you can get a good rate. The Food and Wine festival at Epcot is going on and of course MNSSHP begins in Oct.

The Value Resorts are great for kids also...they get a kick out of the big icons!

Try not to let the size overwhelm you! If you plan your days out before you leave, you will be just fine. With little ones, it's nice to go to the parks early enough so you can go back to the hotel for a mid-day break - take a swim or a nap - then head out late afternoon again.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Another vote for Pop Century. I've stayed there twice and I'm staying there again in May. Love it.

I stayed at Pop Century last year and it was perfect. We are moving up to Port Orleans this year, it just seems like the moderates are the right balance of price and quality.

I like February for weather but had great weather last trip which was in April, crowds were pretty reasonable as well, must have misses most of the spring break crowds.

It is big, our first familiy trip we spent 9 days (One was a drive out to the ocean beaches, everyone really enjoyed a day of relaxing AWAY from the parks). If you do not have enough days there then you might feel rushed to try and do everything, having the extra time relieves this stress.

Number one planning item is to call and make dining reservations as soon as you can (180 days ahead if possible) to insure you are able to eat at the places you want. It sucks to have to be so locked in but there is no way to go to the popular spots without reservations. This trip I finally will be able to experience Ohana and Coral Reef, these have always been booked on previous trips.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Seasick

I liked Pop Century as well. I went in early October and it wasn't too busy. The best perk was the free dining plan. Don't book a trip counting on this, but get a travel agent who will keep an eye open and will be able to make changes to your trip quickly, when deals arise.

How long are you going for? The DLR can be done in three days. You can spend weeks at WDW and feel like you've barely scratched the surface.

• We'll hold them at bay

I like January, its cooler and quiter

I like the Boardwalk for its easy access to Epcot and DHS

There are some good books and websites such as this one
    http://www.diz-abled.com/ that deal with any sort of disability or healt related issue from allergies to phobias to debilitating injuries.

My wife and I have written a number articles for Mouse Extra on traveling with toddlers and preschoolers. They are under the Touring Tip section linked here
    http://www.mouseextra.com/category/t...trip-planning/

You can find them easily enough.

I hope I helped

And have fun
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Wow you guys are so helpful. I was also debating length of the trip, I would say at least 7 days.
    I am not someone who has to plan out every minute of our trip, but with our youngest we do need to generally map things out.
    A close location is key for us but honestly with so many parks I think that with the Disney hotels you are always close to something.
    Thanks again for all of your tips, any more?

• Seasick

If there are any restaurants you really want to eat at, book those well in advance. Especially with young kids who may not tolerate a long wait if you try the walk-up approach.

• Banned User

My advise is to rent a car and use it to get around WDW.

Time: sept or oct.
    Hotel: Wilderness Lodge.
    Skip: DTD, and most Pixar attractions at the MK park.
    Must do: either water park.
    Try: Kitchen Sink ice cream sundae at the Beach Club Resort.
    Outside of Disney: Islands of Adventure at Universal.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I say, plan at least 3 days just for MK. For your first trip. With two little ones, they (and you) might get tuckered out and need a nap half way through the day. With 3 days...you can get there early in the morning, and leave when it starts getting hot....then go back. AK and DHS only take a day...sometimes Epcot can take two depends on what you wanna see/do.

*don't miss Figment in Epcot. He is STILL my daughter's favorite. After 3 separate trips to Epcot!

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Cool Re: Please help plan our first trip, please.

Your right the Pop Century is your best bet. Hope your trip is enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I say, plan at least 3 days just for MK. For your first trip. With two little ones, they (and you) might get tuckered out and need a nap half way through the day. With 3 days...you can get there early in the morning, and leave when it starts getting hot....then go back. AK and DHS only take a day...sometimes Epcot can take two depends on what you wanna see/do.

*don't miss Figment in Epcot. He is STILL my daughter's favorite. After 3 separate trips to Epcot!
    There's no way you'll need 3 days for MK. However long it takes you to do DL, half that and you'll have the amount of time needed for MK.

DHS and DAK are 1/2 to 1-day parks, depending on how much time you want to stroll around DAK. If it's summer, I wouldn't want to be outside any longer than necessary. DHS is really a 1/2 day park for the rides (mainly for TOT and RNRC and Great Movie Ride).

Epcot is a full-day, but it's also the least interesting to kids. Especially the back-half of the park. Plan accordingly.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

No matter where you stay or where you go in WDW, your trip will NOT be complete unless you eat at Ohana's at the Polynesian resort...

If you do not eat there, your first trip to WDW will be an EPIC FAIL!!!!

1-407-wdw-dine

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    No matter where you stay or where you go in WDW, your trip will NOT be complete unless you eat at Ohana's at the Polynesian resort...

If you do not eat there, your first trip to WDW will be an EPIC FAIL!!!!

1-407-wdw-dine
    we will, we will, I promise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast