Red Face Slate contributer does 5-day trip report.....thoughts? (Merged)

I happened across this article that Seth Stevenson is writing for the website Slate. He is in the midst of a five day trip report of the Walt Disney World Resort. It is written in the style of Slate, not one we would read on this site, but I thought it was an interesting read. What are your thoughts?

http://www.slate.com/id/2187177/entry/2187178/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Slate contributer does 5-day trip report.....thoughts?

I heard that his report was very negative and written like he didn't even want to be there in the first place (but it ended in an up note)
    Enough people didn't like it that I decided not to even bother reading it. (And I do like Slate and their style.)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Some people value "authenticity." Disney's elaborate fakeness just irks them. They'd rather visit a Six Flags park (provide it's clean and the rides well maintained) because it isn't pretending to be anything other than a bunch of rides plopped down somewhere.

His reaction to the audio-animatronics was interesting. He didn't like them and they seemed to creep him out. I'm guessing it was an uncanny-valley problem for him.

• and too all a good fright

"It hints at Disney's core philosophy. If I had to choose a single word to describe the Disney theme parks, that word would be inorganic. Or, as a cultural studies post-doc might put it: "Blah blah simulacra blah blah Baudrillard."

I am all for Disney criticism. During my master's program I took a course on Disney that was full of the cultural studies rhetoric/criticism he describes above. The difference being that it was well informed and analytical. This writer wants to pass off gut reaction as academic criticism to poor result. He comes off like a dilettante and is much better when relying on pure observation without the pseudo-intellectuallism. He also criticizes one aspect of the parks then turnsaround and praises them for the exact thing that was just critiqued.

Uneven with very little new insight. This seems much more like a vanity peice than anything else.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Article on MSN.com

Hate to be a complainer about the "nonbelievers" but I just want to post this "article" about Walt Disney World from MSN.com

http://www.slate.com/id/2187177/entr...178/?GT1=38000

Can someone please tell me why this unhappy person went looking for mistakes? And brought an Imagineering guide and still made a mess of details that a 5 year old would understand?

This is one of those articles that proves to me that the world has turned into no place for Disney and Disney lovers. we now live in a world of looking for the wrongs in good intentions and the masterminds manipulating the dumb masses (which usually are dumb, but that's not the point).

for every good point this author makes, he says something that perpetuates the negative "big brother corporation with hypnotic for the use of evil" image of Disney.

Thank you. I jsut wanted to share with those who would understand.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Sock Puppet

Re: Slate contributer does 5-day trip report.....thoughts? (Merged)

This trip report was great and very well written. It was a great read; I even chuckled a few times at some things that were written (specifically comments made about AK's parking lot and Pleasure Island).
    Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    Hate to be a complainer about the "nonbelievers" but I just want to post this "article" about Walt Disney World from MSN.com

http://www.slate.com/id/2187177/entr...178/?GT1=38000

Can someone please tell me why this unhappy person went looking for mistakes? And brought an Imagineering guide and still made a mess of details that a 5 year old would understand?

This is one of those articles that proves to me that the world has turned into no place for Disney and Disney lovers. we now live in a world of looking for the wrongs in good intentions and the masterminds manipulating the dumb masses (which usually are dumb, but that's not the point).

for every good point this author makes, he says something that perpetuates the negative "big brother corporation with hypnotic for the use of evil" image of Disney.

Thank you. I jsut wanted to share with those who would understand.
    I don’t understand why people are so upset that someone is being critical of their "perfect" Disney world. I'm not sure if you all know this, but not everybody likes WDW. EPCOT is not the best park to take your children to. SpaceShip Earth is boring. Innoventions is a joke. World Showcase is an embarrassment if you've actually traveled to any of the countries represented. The list goes on...and I can list these complaints and still be a big fan with a huge respect for Disney. Nobody's perfect, not even Disney. It doesn’t take any previous knowledge to realize these things and write critiques about it.

Although he discussed the negative, he also talked about the positive aspects, the "Disney difference" that draws millions of visitors to make the pilgrimage to the resort every year verses your average Six Flags amusement park.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.
    Last edited by WDWizard; 03-28-2008 at 10:25 PM.

It's amazing. The author seemed to miss all of the interesting things at Walt Disney World.

I get the feeling that if he visited Studio 54 in 1978, his review would have consisted of pseudo-fascinating blurbs about the water fountains and the restroom decor and not getting why everybody wanted to dance.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Disney World is by no means perfect. I tihnk a lot of what he said is what is wrong with this world. My goddaughter was 3 when she went to disney world and she loved EPCOT. I tihnk we are teaching children the wrong way to experience the parks, especially one as misunderstood as Epcot. When I first was planning on my first trip to Florida, I honestly thought I wouldn't like Epcot either. But the more I learned, the more I appreciated it. While he does submit to it a touch, he doesn't understand that theme parks are not jsut about dumb thrill and go-go-go.

What I didn't like was his idea of "indoctrination" and that the disney philosophy teaches children to be vacuous morons.

To me, this author's voice is that of the cynical world we live in, where Disney is losing it's place and trying to keep up by creating worse images in mediocre Hannah Montana and rewarding bad behavior with Vanessa Hudgens. He represents why the classic Disney is, in its own sense, hanging by a thread.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 07:16 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

http://gridskipper.com/374844/adult-...ulous-they-are

Adult Disney Fans Have No Idea How Ridiculous They Are

Slate has gotten a ton of reader feedback following their trip to Disney World last month. Most of the angry readers are pissed off that Slate would dare disrespect the "Disney Experience." One Disney zealot chimed in to say that they felt Slate piece was a major injustice on the order of the Iraq War: "Disney without advanced planning compares to, I don't know ... attending a sporting event without knowing the rules? ordering an invasion of another country without being sure of the objective?" Amazingly, the Slate feature turned up lots of other folks who feel questioning the Disney ethos is pure evil, so we've got plenty more crazy cultish quotes after the jump.

One woman who posted to Slate's messageboards said that Disney helped her cope with her job and asked: "Does it hurt to be a child for a few days even when I am actually 55 years old?" Actually yes, that can be very unhealthy! Another lady exemplified the sentiment felt by the indignant Disney fans when she dismissed the Slate piece, saying: "If a guest has a bad or boring time [at Disney World], it is pretty much their own darn fault."

However, there was another person whose reasons for Disney devotion make perfect sense to me. He began his response to Slate with: "As a gay man..." Say no more honey, of course you love Cinderella's magical kingdom. What queen doesn't want to be a princess? For gays guys and children Disney is paradise, and for many parents it's a necessary evil, but the whining at Slate only has me more convinced than ever that adults who obsess over Disney World are out of their minds.
    Once again, I can't understand the people who think a trip to WDW should be like planning a wedding party for the Royal Family. The madness behind ADRs, FPs, etc only serves to confuse the common man and the company's cheerleaders are sometimes so blind that they don't realize the number of hoops they are made to jump through by a company that promotes relaxation and leisure, let alone how much less they're getting in value than they did not too long ago.