Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    • World Traveler
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aventura, FL
    Posts
    4,013

    Power Outage at Epcot

    According to the Orlando Sentinel, Epcot lost power for a few hours this morning.

    Here's a link to the report. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,5829433.story

    I'm sure glad TDLFAN was not stuck on the monorail for this. We'd never hear the end of it.


  2. #2

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I'm sure glad TDLFAN was not stuck on the monorail for this. We'd never hear the end of it.
    I hope not I paid the CM's to offer him an exclusive ride on "a secret new and improved bodywars" lock him in the chair, seal it shut and then pull the circuit breaker... um never mind...


    Seriously though it's sad that Disney has not been able to upgrade their electrical generation capacity, before EPCOT they had enough extra juice to run the entire WDW resort plus sell some back to the grid...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  3. #3

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I hope not I paid the CM's to offer him an exclusive ride on "a secret new and improved bodywars" lock him in the chair, seal it shut and then pull the circuit breaker... um never mind...


    Seriously though it's sad that Disney has not been able to upgrade their electrical generation capacity, before EPCOT they had enough extra juice to run the entire WDW resort plus sell some back to the grid...
    While energy is still generated by the Reedy Creek Energy Service, WDW needs to purchase a good amount of power from TECO.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    If the problem was a circuit breaker, I don't think the source of the power would have made any difference.
    -Tim

  5. #5

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    If the problem was a circuit breaker, I don't think the source of the power would have made any difference.
    Depends on the type and location of the breaker in question, the article was a bit vague on that point.

    Just based on my limited electrical engineering experiences* supporting large data centers I have seen where an under voltage from a substation (aka a will cause a subsequent spike in demand which if you do not have sufficient switching or backup capacity will trip the big ol breakers at your local substation. (of which I'm sure EPCOT has several) Thats why most Data Centers have multiple redundant power feeds and multiple redundant generators all feed into a big switching center and then into a large building based UPS battery supply which in turn powers the systems in the data center.

    So in theory if Disney had sufficient capacity on site as well as the off site feed AND the breaker was far enough upstream AND it didn't trip the locals it might have been avoided entirely... or not.


    * Note My expertise is in Enterprise Systems engineering and architecture not commercial electrical engineering I just get pulled in on the design and review process with the EE's but have been doing it for almost 20 years
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    I knew this would happen... All those new TV sets on Spaceship earth's vehicles were bound to dry up the power for the rest of the park.

    And Jerren.. that Body Wars comment was not funny.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    278

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    - Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.

  8. #8

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    I have been told that minor issues have happened in the past but they have been able to over-ride them. Today maintenance was very quick to react and respond to all of this. I do find this interesting that this happens on a day when Bob Iger is visiting Ep-ity-cot (as a "guest".)

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    526

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    They just did the "Earth Hour" blackout a day or so early

  10. #10

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I knew this would happen... All those new TV sets on Spaceship earth's vehicles were bound to dry up the power for the rest of the park.

    And Jerren.. that Body Wars comment was not funny.
    I apologize then, but it was the only one I could think of in EPCOT besides the monorail that you could potentially get locked into in that situation... and I can relate I was once stuck on Its a small world for over an hour... and no they do not turn the music off.... explains a lot don't it?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  11. #11

    • Rear Window=Best Movie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fantasyland Utilidoor
    Posts
    417

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    HA-HA!! Walt Disney World not only runs off of their own energy service but they use solar panels. If you look closely at vending carts, the tops of show buildings, etc. you will see small solar panels. It's a common practice all over the resort. The energy collected is used the most during the Peak seasons, or whenever more energy is needed then usual. Just thought I would add my two cents.
    ~~WDWImagineer

  12. #12

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    HA-HA!! Walt Disney World not only runs off of their own energy service but they use solar panels. If you look closely at vending carts, the tops of show buildings, etc. you will see small solar panels. It's a common practice all over the resort. The energy collected is used the most during the Peak seasons, or whenever more energy is needed then usual. Just thought I would add my two cents.
    ~~WDWImagineer
    As I stated on another board, the panels attached to the roof of Energy, do not generate enoough power to run a hair dryer. I'd be surprised if any of them work anymore.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

  13. #13

    • Rear Window=Best Movie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fantasyland Utilidoor
    Posts
    417

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    As I stated on another board, the panels attached to the roof of Energy, do not generate enoough power to run a hair dryer. I'd be surprised if any of them work anymore.
    I wasn't talking about "Energy" but you do make a good point. I was talking about the panels that camoflaughed into the environment that you don't notice.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    I don't know how accurate THIS SITE is, but it says the solar array on the energy pavilion was put back into service in 1998. It was also capable of producing enough energy to power 15 average homes (way more than a single hair dryer).
    -Tim

  15. #15

    • враг народа
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,025
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Power Outage at Epcot

    Quote Originally Posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    HA-HA!! Walt Disney World not only runs off of their own energy service but they use solar panels. If you look closely at vending carts, the tops of show buildings, etc. you will see small solar panels. It's a common practice all over the resort. The energy collected is used the most during the Peak seasons, or whenever more energy is needed then usual. Just thought I would add my two cents.
    ~~WDWImagineer
    Reedy Creek Energy Service has not generated enough juice to power Walt Disney World for years now. A simple look on Google Earth will also show that there are no arrays of solar panels except at the Universe of Energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Power Outage At The Adventures Club
    By HV10N90 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 07:44 AM
  2. Power Outage
    By doombuggy driver in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
  3. MiceChat Outage
    By Dustysage in forum The Forums
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 10:44 PM
  4. MiceChat Outage Today
    By Gemini Cricket in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 11:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •