Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: 5th Park for WDW

Quote Originally Posted by PortieOwner View Post
    WDW does need either a 5th gate or some other way to soak up the guests. I had an opportunity to go to WDW this Spring and didn't because I don't like waiting in lines for 2 hours. Remember when October was a "quiet" time of the year to visit? Put enough parks in, or enough attractions and lands in each park, and the crowding and lines won't be quite as bad. And I am willing to pay more to avoid some line-waiting, and some crowds.
    The park market is too saturated at Disney. The best way to add capacity is to the add to the existing parks.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The park market is too saturated at Disney. The best way to add capacity is to the add to the existing parks.
    I agree. They will not build a full complete 5th park. Maybe ever
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
    lol yea, Hipster, you probably made an enemy for life. XD
    How?

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by PortieOwner View Post
    WDW does need either a 5th gate or some other way to soak up the guests. I had an opportunity to go to WDW this Spring and didn't because I don't like waiting in lines for 2 hours. Remember when October was a "quiet" time of the year to visit? Put enough parks in, or enough attractions and lands in each park, and the crowding and lines won't be quite as bad. And I am willing to pay more to avoid some line-waiting, and some crowds.
    Careful Disney already has some patents on the concept of Gold fast passes for cash and all. But you do have a good point, only 7-8 years back you could go in October and literally walk on to almost any attraction. However with the addition of AK I cannot recall ever hearing that more than one or two parks ever being closed at one time due to overcrowding, I think that would be the point when they open another gate.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Careful Disney already has some patents on the concept of Gold fast passes for cash and all. But you do have a good point, only 7-8 years back you could go in October and literally walk on to almost any attraction. However with the addition of AK I cannot recall ever hearing that more than one or two parks ever being closed at one time due to overcrowding, I think that would be the point when they open another gate.
    The point of the additional gates, specifically the Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, was to get people to extend their vacations longer. When the Disney-MGM Studios opened, people stayed at Walt Disney World longer in order to see all three parks. When Disney's Animal Kingdom opened, people just cut time from the other parks or just did not visit the new park. A new park would have to be justified by one of two things: 1) a major demographic shift where most guests are Europeans on longer vacations or 2) a major American cultural shift where we start taking longer vacations. There are also all of the issues that a new park requires, such as staffing and infrastructure. A new park just would not make financial sense, without cutting more corners at the existing properties, unless people start or can start spending significantly larger amounts of money and time at Walt Disney World.

The boutique park is a different story. The night hours mean that it does not compete with the existing attractions. The high price point and exclusivity also points the park at a different demographic, an economic group that will be hit last or the least by any economic slowdown.

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

According to David Koenig's book "Realityland," before the reign of Michael Eisner, Disney had a much more affectionate attitude toward competition.
    At that point (1984) WDW consisted of 2 theme parks and 2 luxury hotels (Con. and Poly) so they viewed other businesses in Orlando as other ways to get people down to Orlando to visit WDW.
    But when Eisner came, he started building things to monopolize the attractions in Orlando under the name of Disney.
    And he built MGM to combat Universal and AK for Busch Gardens and All Star resorts for all cheap hotels in Orlando and so forth.
    So is it the style of the current post-Eisner management to trump anything that the competition throws out?
    Let's hope not because Disney is not at it's best when it is competing with someone but rather inventing new ideas and attractions.
    But only time will tell.
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I have stated this in other threads, but to understand why a 5th gate really is not in the best interest of Disney, the Guest, the Central Florida area as of right now.

In order to make a 5th gate work you so that it was not canibalizing your current product you would have to increase attendence to the Walt Disney World Resort by 20% meaning that you would have to draw an additional 7-8 million people on property.

Now with the current infrastructer that Central Florida has, also with the current load that MCO (Orlando International) is carrying, and with the current layout of WDW it would be very much stressed, and getting to the point of collapse. Orlando currently sees around 38 MILLION visitors a year, now add 7-8 million more and we begin to hit a real critical breaking point.

Also you would look at an even higher increase in the overall hopping ticket price, with 5 park hopping options you would begin to price people out of any sort of park hopping.

Staffing would be a big issue as WDW already has thousands of vacant positions it currently cannot fill.

NOW lets look at the boutique park. The Four Seasons is being built, the Waldorf Astoria is being built, the JW Marriot and Ritz Carlton are doing phenominal business, The Omni at Champions gate is doing well, There is going to be W hotel, and there are other plans for some more upscale condo developments, Disney is building a community for people who have millions of disposible dollars for a vacation home in WDW.

Now that all being said building an experience park that only holds 2,000 people a day, and is extremly focused on the guest experience, and unique one of a kind expereinces done the Disney way, begins to look like the smartest and best way to extend your brand.

If you are going to be attracting people with hotels and resorts catering to people who are used to a certain level of service, and attention it only makes logical sense that you would build a park that would do exactly that, and price it accordingly.

We will all see soon enough if this comes to fruition.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I do think that increasing the capacity in the current parks is the easiest and best way to add attractions, increase attendence and get people to want to have repeat visits, as they have more to explore in the worlds presented to them...

• Mrs. J. Depp

That 5th park idea mentioned at the beginning just sounds like Animal Kingdom at night. And while building a 5th park that would accommodate the "wealthier bunch" seems like a grand idea, that just doesn't seem fair as Walts vision was for "everyone" to be able to enjoy his parks, not just the rich ones.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    That 5th park idea mentioned at the beginning just sounds like Animal Kingdom at night. And while building a 5th park that would accommodate the "wealthier bunch" seems like a grand idea, that just doesn't seem fair as Walts vision was for "everyone" to be able to enjoy his parks, not just the rich ones.
    Walt did build Club 33 that was very exclusive and expensive. Just a thought.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Club 33 was built with the intention of entertaining clientele and special guests to Walt Disney. Not until later was it made an exclusive and expensive dining club.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The vast majority of Walt Disney World has nothing to with Walt's vision for the property and it seems there are plenty in the company who just wish he never existed.

LOL I was making a humorous comment that in some cultures is reffered to as a joke, hipster XD
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• May the F=ma be with you

Guess what... Walt is no longer living. I really dislike when people make the argument "It's not what Walt wanted."

In my opinion, he had some of the most radical, and unrealistic ideas for his Florida Project. I'm glad that his vision for the area never came to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I do think that increasing the capacity in the current parks is the easiest and best way to add attractions, increase attendence and get people to want to have repeat visits, as they have more to explore in the worlds presented to them...

I agree they've got plenty of themed spaces that arn't even fleshed out in alot of their current parks

Epcot and Magic Kingdom both have large expansion areas that could be built into (ESPECIALLY Epcot) which would also ease up the lines and could possibly make some better traffic flow

MGM is just begging for a ride or two more to counterbalance out the sides of the park and make things better

AK could grow even though I really like it as the more layed back park

it'd just be a poor decision all around to add a fifth park with all the parks being so deluded (at least in my opinion and you seem to have quite a few facts to back it up)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast