Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: 5th Park for WDW

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Guess what... Walt is no longer living. I really dislike when people make the argument "It's not what Walt wanted."

In my opinion, he had some of the most radical, and unrealistic ideas for his Florida Project. I'm glad that his vision for the area never came to life.
    BLASPHEMY!

You shall be called to answer to the elders for this.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Drunk On Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    This might just be 'Night Kingdom' which will be a night time zoo that runs around 300 bucks a person per night.
    ...Lame

There are several things going on at WDW now wich all point to a 'night' type park. I would say that there is a very strong possibility of the park/section actually being built.
    Please god no!

Quote Originally Posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
    actually, flynn. I remember hearing about definite plans being made. But even so, I do think that it's really ok if the tag is iffy. I can't speak for everyone here, but I know I never pay attention to tags, though I realize they are there for organizational purposes.

The New park is Night Kingdom, open 4pm to midnight with no actual rides, but two cast members for each guest for a very intimate, mono-a-mono experience. It's essentially a zoo with very special nocturnal experiences and adventures.

And all that excitement can be all yours for the low low price of 15 easy payments of $19.99!!! and no, I'm not kidding about the cost (but I am about the separate payments). It's about $300 a pop.
    wow....I hate this idea.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Just to show the potential for growth within the current parks lets look at the yearly attendence with the average daily attendence and a guesstimated max capacity.

I hope this makes sense.

Magic Kingdom
    Yearly attendence: 17,060,000
    Average daily attendence: 46,739
    Maximum Capacity: 70,000

EPCOT
    Yearly attendence: 10,930,000
    Average daily attendence: 29,945
    Maximum Capacity: 85,000

Disney Hollywood Studios
    Yearly attendence: 9,510,000
    Average daily attendence: 26,045
    Maximum Capacity: 45,000

Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Yearly attendence: 9,490,000
    Average daily attendence: 26,000
    Maximum Capacity: 38,000

So you can see that there is a lot of room for growth with the theme parks. Of course you don't want it running a capacity every day (well as a business owner you do) but you want to increase the crowd levels and ability to accept form guests.

Clearly if you are looking at it from a percentage of occupancy point of view EPCOT is the biggest failure!

But with DAK and DHS you would want to open space, so that you could increase the potential for more guests.

Anyways just fun with numbers.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    Just to show the potential for growth within the current parks lets look at the yearly attendence with the average daily attendence and a guesstimated max capacity.

I hope this makes sense.

Magic Kingdom

EPCOT

Disney Hollywood Studios

Disney's Animal Kingdom

So you can see that there is a lot of room for growth with the theme parks. Of course you don't want it running a capacity every day (well as a business owner you do) but you want to increase the crowd levels and ability to accept form guests.

Clearly if you are looking at it from a percentage of occupancy point of view EPCOT is the biggest failure!

But with DAK and DHS you would want to open space, so that you could increase the potential for more guests.

where did you get those figures? For some reason, I though Epcot was a bit higher
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Progressive Disneylander

As much as I'd love to see Disney build a 5th park, there is SOOOO much that could and should be done with the existing parks first.

It boggled my mind why the Magic Kingdom has not had a significant attraction built inside of it since Splash Mountain. MGM could sure use HUGE amounts of love in order to make it an all-day park. The Animal Kingdom needs another land and lots more to do. Epcot is in the best shape, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't use another attraction or two.

I just wouldn't want another half-day park. That would make 3 out of 5.

I think the main problem is that things are going so good down there that there is no incentive for them to make a huge investment into the existing parks. If they do nothing to the parks, people are still going to come. That shouldn't be the mentality concerning WDW, but it seems to be what it is. Most of the investment in WDW seems to be in things like shopping and hotels. Booooor-ing.

Lakeland Florida......40 minutes from WDW.

The figures Eric posted on the 4 parks' attendance are very telling. Until average attendance is much closer to maximum capacity, a "traditional" 5th gate park makes no sense at all. But a 5th gate boutique park does. It would be very unlikely a 5th gate boutique park would cannabilize any of the attendance at the other 4 parks. It would be a complement and an extra excursion for those with deep enough pockets to afford it. Those that could afford it would likely still spend as many vacation days in the 4 main parks and either stay an extra day for the 5th gate experience or just cut one of their regular park days short for it. As to adding to the existing parks, unless their studies and surveys show proof the addition of more attractions will positively boost overall WDW attendance, we're unlikely to see too many additions. Just a few spaced here and there to keep guests coming back for whatever is new and give marketing something to "promo". And those strategically timed new additions are typically timed with removal of something else that's not cranking the visitor numbers. That frees up personnel and maintenance dollars for operation of whatever's new.

Despite the emotional attachment that many/most of us here have with Disney, it is first and foremost a business and seeks to squeeze the most dollars out of every investment it makes. It's not going to invest money unless it sees a strong potential for significant returns on the investment either in the form of overall WDW attendance boosts or direct returns in the form of more per-guest spending, regardless of how much us fans might want something.....i.e. Beastly Kingdomme, DisneySea-type 5th gate, etc.
    Rod

.....a dawn for new awareness........(S.B. Anthony, American Adventure, Epcot)

• We'll hold them at bay

I stand by my earlier statement. There will never be a true 5th gate
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post

I hope this makes sense.

Magic Kingdom

EPCOT

Disney Hollywood Studios

Disney's Animal Kingdom

MK's capacity is actually 72,000
    and EPCOT's is 78,000
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by WDWLakelandFL View Post
    The figures Eric posted on the 4 parks' attendance are very telling. Until average attendance is much closer to maximum capacity, a "traditional" 5th gate park makes no sense at all. But a 5th gate boutique park does. It would be very unlikely a 5th gate boutique park would cannabilize any of the attendance at the other 4 parks. It would be a complement and an extra excursion for those with deep enough pockets to afford it. Those that could afford it would likely still spend as many vacation days in the 4 main parks and either stay an extra day for the 5th gate experience or just cut one of their regular park days short for it. As to adding to the existing parks, unless their studies and surveys show proof the addition of more attractions will positively boost overall WDW attendance, we're unlikely to see too many additions. Just a few spaced here and there to keep guests coming back for whatever is new and give marketing something to "promo". And those strategically timed new additions are typically timed with removal of something else that's not cranking the visitor numbers. That frees up personnel and maintenance dollars for operation of whatever's new.

Despite the emotional attachment that many/most of us here have with Disney, it is first and foremost a business and seeks to squeeze the most dollars out of every investment it makes. It's not going to invest money unless it sees a strong potential for significant returns on the investment either in the form of overall WDW attendance boosts or direct returns in the form of more per-guest spending, regardless of how much us fans might want something.....i.e. Beastly Kingdomme, DisneySea-type 5th gate, etc.
    Really hit the nail on the head! As you can see with the numbers DAK is in really good shape attendence wise, but the park with the most potential for growth is EPCOT.

Now if you look at those numbers it is clear why they haven't added a major E-Ticket to MK in the past 20 years.

But drawing new visitors to WDW and having them experience the non-MK parks is essential.

That is also why we will start seeing more 'festivals' and 'events' at the other parks.

While I agree that a boutique park isn't for me...there are a couple of economic facts that we all are missing here.

The fact is, that while some of the population are struggling to hold onto their homes, there is a growing segment that is getting richer all the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/business/15rich.html

Fact is that while there is still money out there to be had, it is in the hands of a small set of people. So, Disney has to start taking advantage of these people. That's why we have the new Deluxe Dining Plan. That's why I can't reserve a deluxe resort on short notice.

Honestly, if they truly make this a premium park, it should not take away from the other parks it should be value-added and pay for itself (in terms of ticket price and merchandise).

They have to make money from the people who have it, right?

• Mrs. J. Depp

Guess what... Walt is no longer living. I really dislike when people make the argument "It's not what Walt wanted."

In my opinion, he had some of the most radical, and unrealistic ideas for his Florida Project. I'm glad that his vision for the area never came to life.
    It's called WALT DISNEY WORLD for a reason. Figure it out!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by perfectparanoia View Post
    While I agree that a boutique park isn't for me...there are a couple of economic facts that we all are missing here.

The fact is, that while some of the population are struggling to hold onto their homes, there is a growing segment that is getting richer all the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/business/15rich.html

Fact is that while there is still money out there to be had, it is in the hands of a small set of people. So, Disney has to start taking advantage of these people. That's why we have the new Deluxe Dining Plan. That's why I can't reserve a deluxe resort on short notice.

Honestly, if they truly make this a premium park, it should not take away from the other parks it should be value-added and pay for itself (in terms of ticket price and merchandise).

They have to make money from the people who have it, right?
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    I stand by my earlier statement. There will never be a true 5th gate
    I stand by that as well.

especially since I've been saying it for years ... and so has anyone in power at Disney if you ask.

(but that leaves out the all-knowing busdrivers!)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I stand by that as well.

especially since I've been saying it for years ... and so has anyone in power at Disney if you ask.

Ok but what do you have to say about a boutique park?

lol

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Sports-themed park my bus driver told me about
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast