Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worst closure nightmare.

So, I just found out that Pirates will be closed when I am at WDW. It's closing June 5-18 and we will be there June 9-18, so there's a slight chance I might get to ride it my last day. Anyway last year Mansion was closed for our trip and it was truly heart-breaking. So, I just wanted to ask everyone what would be your worst closure nightmare for an upcoming trip.

Actually, I think if Philharmagic was closed I would cry and perhaps handcuff myself to the building and demand it reopen. But Pirates is pretty nightmarish as well.

What do you all think?

• For You!

Re: Worst closure nightmare.

We missed Haunted Mansion last year - frankly, I wouldn't have missed WDW pirates. I would probably be a little sad if any of the "big" rides were down, but since my trips aren't once in a lifetime things, I know that I'll be able to ride them again eventually.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

I wouldn't cry over WDW's Pirates being closed, after riding DL's version it is like a bad joke. I couldn't live without Haunted Mansion, BTM, Splash, and Tower of Terror though.

I agree that Dl's Pirates is far superior, but WDW's will do in a pinch, better a second-best Pirates than no Pirates at all. My sister disagrees with me though. She far prefers DL's, so I don't think she's to terribly heart-broken. My friend Briana and I are quite bummed.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I feel your pain. I went in 2000 and POTC was the only ride closed. After going on it last week I wasn't impressed but very happy I got to experience it.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I think that would be my family's BIG nightmare....Pirate's being closed...it's our family favorite.

We each have our favorite ride....but, nobody turns down POTC. We're pirate addicts

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

The only thing I like better about WDW Pirates is the queue and entrance to the ride. Other than that the ride itself doesn't even compare to DLR.

The ride I would freak out about is Space Mountain at DLR or WDW (although I kind of like WDW ride better because of the smaller cars feel like you could fall out, which adds to the thrill).

OK ... you asked ... and you put yourself out there.

So what do I think?

I think you need to think about what's really important in life. What makes a true nightmare (war in Iraq, healthcare, our economy etc).

An attraction being closed on a WDW visit shouldn't even be considered an inconvenience. Maybe a small disappointment.

But, frankly, it's these type of 'you can't close down my favorite attraction(s) when I'm taking my magical WDW vacation' that has helped enable a gunshy management to allow great attractions to fall into decay.

If PoC being open is that important to you, then you should plan a trip around when it will be open. But also understand that it could still close because it's mechancical and well ... life happens.

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post

An attraction being closed on a WDW visit shouldn't even be considered an inconvenience. Maybe a small disappointment.
    I would say that is all a matter of perspective. IF it was your first trip to Disney World AND you had never experienced Pirates before AND Pirates just happened to be your favorite DLR ride well that would be a HUGE disappointment to find out it would be closed while you are there. I'm not saying that it would ruin the entire trip but if that was the ride you were looking forward to the most and then you find out you can't ride it? To put it bluntly: THAT SUCKS!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I think you need to think about what's really important in life. What makes a true nightmare (war in Iraq, healthcare, our economy etc).
    Normally I'd recommend voicing your concerns about this in a different forum. Seeing this is a WDW forum, voicing disappointment in a ride being closed is perfectly fine.

But hey, don't let me ruin anyone's fun in here. We all have our whole life to worry about starvation, disease and other maladies.

I can see people being disappointed when rides are closed. I mean, I travel all over the world to ride roller coasters and sometimes rides are closed that I want to go on. Plus, I won't be going back to those parks again to ride when it's open because the park is in a different country or whatever. But, I'm sad when I'm looking at the closed ride, then get over it when I'm having fun on the rest of the rides. If I was traveling to a park for JUST one ride, I'd be certain to plan the trip around the ride being open. But, like someone else said, rides can break at any time. So, you just never know.

Especially at WDW, there are four parks and TONS of other things to do. So, it should be pretty difficult to not have fun during your visit. Splash has been closed on my last visit to Disneyland (still never been on it) and during my last visit to WDW (friend hadn't ridden it yet). But, besides walking by the dried rides and saying, "awwwww, I wish it was open", that was the extent of our sadness.
    -Tim

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

My worst closure would be Splash Mountain, i would be so disappointed as it's my fave ride. Luckily it's never happened during any of my trips so far. I can't imagine going on a trip to WDW and not being able to ride it.

• Too far from Disney World

Mickey's Philharmagic
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Master Gracey's Bane

I'd have to say the worst would have to be the buses. If there was no buses, we'd have to walk from our resort to the parks, which is somethign I'm NOT willing to do on a daily basis.

If we're talking rides, I'd hate to miss the HM!
    Do NOT pull down on the safety bar, please...I will lower it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfan View Post
    I would say that is all a matter of perspective. IF it was your first trip to Disney World AND you had never experienced Pirates before AND Pirates just happened to be your favorite DLR ride well that would be a HUGE disappointment to find out it would be closed while you are there. I'm not saying that it would ruin the entire trip but if that was the ride you were looking forward to the most and then you find out you can't ride it? To put it bluntly: THAT SUCKS!
    Uhm ... perspective was my whole point.

Sometimes people get a bit dramatic over really inane things.

If it were that important to me that PoC were open, then I'd make sure my trip was planned around announced closures. Simple as that.

But huge disappointment?

I think that's pouring it on a bit thick. Besides, the MK's version of Pirates is going to be disappointing to 98% of people who have experienced any of the other versions. It's by far the shortest, the weakest from a narrative standpoint, and the most poorly maintained. It's also the only one where you can't sit and have a meal and immerse yourself in the experience.

I just get a kick out of the 'tude of so many people of DCIWIGTBT (Don't Close It When I'm Going To Be There) that's prevalent on fan sites whether it was Mansion last summer, Small World a few years ago, SSE this past year or, now, Pirates.

This is why they allow attractions at WDW to fall into decay ... you'll literally get whining people at City Hall demanding a refund of their magical $5,000 WDW vacations because they only came for ONE attraction and Disney had the nerve to close it ... imagine that.

I remember being a kid and going to the MK when it was the only park at WDW. It was a holiday weekend in January and Space Mountain, 20,000 Leagues, Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan were all closed for rehabs ... I still had a great time.

Now, you have four parks and so many options yet people are worse now about complaining when one or two attractions are closed.

I can't wait to hear the bitchfest that's going to take place when Space Mountain closes for 18 months!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast