Question DDP Tipping / gratuity question (sorry!)

Hi everyone,
    I was voted "captain" of a hastily arranged trip for NEXT week so you can expect a bunch of postings from me

First off, I am still confused about the DDP and the 18% gratuity - is this ONLY for parties of 6 or more? If your group is 5 or less is the tip up to you?

Could this be any more confusing? It seems like I have seen it explained both ways.

Thanks everyone!
    Cliff

• Disneyholic

Re: DDP Tipping / gratuity question (sorry!)

Quote Originally Posted by roubaix View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was voted "captain" of a hastily arranged trip for NEXT week so you can expect a bunch of postings from me

First off, I am still confused about the DDP and the 18% gratuity - is this ONLY for parties of 6 or more? If your group is 5 or less is the tip up to you?

Could this be any more confusing? It seems like I have seen it explained both ways.

Thanks everyone!
    Cliff

No it used to be like that but they changed it to the flat 18% even if you dine alone. If I recall correctly this was a concession to the Unions for no longer including the tip in the meal plans you purchase with your resort stay this year. There was a big outcry on the boards at the time as most folks prefer to set the tip amount based on service received, many of us tipping more than 18% for good service less if service was bad.

I believe you can always try to fight it if service was really lousy but you'll have to pull the manager in and maybee make a scene, I'm guessing most people won't do that and thats what Disney is betting on.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Thanks Jerren - here is what Disney has posted on its WDW page:
    -------------
    "Gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An automatic 18% gratuity charge will be added to your bill for parties of 6 or more. An automatic gratuity charge may also be added to your bill for items you order that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g., alcoholic beverages). Merchandise or photo-imaging products that may be offered at Character Dining Experiences are not included, except at Cinderella's Royal Table."

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    No it used to be like that but they changed it to the flat 18% even if you dine alone. If I recall correctly this was a concession to the Unions for no longer including the tip in the meal plans you purchase with your resort stay this year. There was a big outcry on the boards at the time as most folks prefer to set the tip amount based on service received, many of us tipping more than 18% for good service less if service was bad.

I believe you can always try to fight it if service was really lousy but you'll have to pull the manager in and maybee make a scene, I'm guessing most people won't do that and thats what Disney is betting on.

Slightly off topic (but not by much)

I can see the reason with the unions for the forced tip on the DDP.

However, what is the reason for adding it to the DDE. I ate lunch alone at the Brown Derby a few weeks ago and used my DDE. They stuck 18% right on the bill.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

DDP - no gratuity added unless 6 or more people
    ALL groups of 6 or more - tip
    DDE - 18% added
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

They implemented the DDE 18% thing in January. I wasn't a very happy camper about that. But, then again, I almost always tip 20% unless they were awful. I'd rather just put it on myself, not be told I have to pay it. Besides, they're losing 2% of tip now - at least from me.
    -Tim

• Disneyholic

I stand corrected, my dyslexia strikes again I thought he was asking about the DDE

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    They implemented the DDE 18% thing in January. I wasn't a very happy camper about that. But, then again, I almost always tip 20% unless they were awful. I'd rather just put it on myself, not be told I have to pay it. Besides, they're losing 2% of tip now - at least from me.
    I figure I can always say something if the service is very bad (which it rarely is).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I figure I can always say something if the service is very bad (which it rarely is).
    I that's correct however it amazes me how many folks won't stand up for themselves in that sort of situation... Out of fear of confrontation or embarrassment or what have you. Just channel Sharpe and tell them 'I want fabulous!"

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I agree. I usualy tip 20%, but I like to be the one to make that decision.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I that's correct however it amazes me how many folks won't stand up for themselves in that sort of situation... Out of fear of confrontation or embarrassment or what have you. Just channel Sharpe and tell them 'I want fabulous!"
    I used to be very skittish about speaking up - but if I had really bad service, I would now say something. Not if a server makes a few mistakes, etc. - but horrible service like I've had on only a few occasions. Serving tables is a hard job, and I feel so bad when I see waiters get ripped for an accident (like at Boma, a server dropped a drink on a woman - the husband was very, very angry).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.