Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyholic

Will all new Disney/Pixar films going DD 3D how will this impact the attactions?

Ok for those who have not heard, Disney is releasing all new animated flicks and some old ones in Disney Digital 3D. Check out the article here.

Question is what impact if any do you think this will have on the in-park 3D offerings? Are Muppets, Philharmagic, Honey I shrunk the Audience and It's tough to be a bug's days numbered as the technology becomes more pervasive outside the parks? What do you think?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Will all new Disney/Pixar films going DD 3D how will this impact the attactions?

I believe all the non-movie attractions at the parks are already in 3D.

A list of the upcoming Disney/Pixar animated films through 2012 is in the News forum. There are a number of 3D releases noted:
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ted-94210.html

The challenge for Disney and other park operators is to stay ahead of the curve as far as technology is concerned. As 3D becomes more common at your neighborhood multiplex, Disney's 3D in the parks (and whatever special effects come with it) will need to be a little better, a little bolder, a little more immersive, otherwise it won't be so special anymore.

I think the days are already numbered for most of the 3D attractions you mentioned. It will be interesting to see how Disney replaces them, whether with other 3D movies, or with attractions that are entirely different.

• Minion

Re: Will all new Disney/Pixar films going DD 3D how will this impact the attactions?

I can gurantee that experiences like BTM, POTC, and the Haunted Mansion will never be available at your local multiplexes. Perhaps, this could force Disney into building more AA based attractions.

I have my doubts that 3D will ever become that big at the movies. I can understand wanting to see a Friday the 13th movie in 3D, but story based fare, like that which comes out of PIXAR does not need any 3D.

• Disneyholic

Hmm I dunno GH I admit I was impressed with what I saw when I took my daughter to see the Hanna Montana concert in Disney digital 3D, the effects in the previews as well as the show itself where very impressive, almost made up for the music and screaming tweens in the theater.

Do they need it? Probably not if the story and animation can stand on it's own, but not all the newer Disney animated movies have had the same storytelling hold over audiences as they once did, and well I found the animation in the more recent non-pixar Disney animated releases kinda bland. I don't mind using computers to animate movies what I mind is movies that look like they where done on a computer and lack all the nuances and heart of the hand drawn classics. Overall I think that Disney may see this as a way they can get back out in front of Dreamworks and others that are chipping away at that end of the business by pushing the 3D technology.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Hmm I dunno GH I admit I was impressed with what I saw when I took my daughter to see the Hanna Montana concert in Disney digital 3D, the effects in the previews as well as the show itself where very impressive, almost made up for the music and screaming tweens in the theater.

Do they need it? Probably not if the story and animation can stand on it's own, but not all the newer Disney animated movies have had the same storytelling hold over audiences as they once did, and well I found the animation in the more recent non-pixar Disney animated releases kinda bland. I don't mind using computers to animate movies what I mind is movies that look like they where done on a computer and lack all the nuances and heart of the hand drawn classics. Overall I think that Disney may see this as a way they can get back out in front of Dreamworks and others that are chipping away at that end of the business by pushing the 3D technology.
    Well Dreamworks will also be using the 3D technology for all their animated features. I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D, and the 3D didn't really add anything. It was more of a nuance than anything else, having to wear the glasses over my other pair of glasses. I rather NBC have been re-released to the big screens in 2D.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post

I really agree with you. Personally I think 3-D movies ADD to the immersiveness of the story.

When you think about what you need for good story, you don't need surround sound, you don't need color, all you need is a moving picture, and basic sound.

However color, surround sound, and 3-D really help to draw you into a carefully crafted world!

I personally felt like I was seeing NBC for the first time again, when I saw it in 3-D! It was AMAZING. I felt as if my eye was the camera, and I was gliding above those carefully crafted sets!

I think for the movie theatre industry to survive with the ever shortening DVD window, great in home theatre that are becoming cheaper and cheaper to obtain, you have to have a product that cannot be duplicated.

The EXACT same logic goes for 3-D theme park attractions!

So I think overall moving to 3-D is GREAT for consumers because it will in the end give us more immersive films and experiences!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I think for the movie theatre industry to survive with the ever shortening DVD window, great in home theatre that are becoming cheaper and cheaper to obtain, you have to have a product that cannot be duplicated.

The EXACT same logic goes for 3-D theme park attractions!

So I think overall moving to 3-D is GREAT for consumers because it will in the end give us more immersive films and experiences!

agreed, youknow this is one of those things I always point to when theaters blame movie pirating, if pirating is cutting back on theater tickets then why the heck are DVD sales so ridiculously high? why own a copy legally if you've already downloaded a bootleg or maybe they think everyone watches the extras?

and yeah attractions are going to need some change and it looks like Disney's already doing that. Most of their 3D attractions are technically 4D so I suppose that kinda gives them an edge for a while but lets face it they all mostly rely on quick "gotcha" moments that only work the first time around but things like Midway Mania are the most likely future from here on out where parks are concerned

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Hopefuly someday soon, we will have a glassless 3-D

• We'll hold them at bay

Hopefuly someday soon, we will have a glassless 3-D
    that would be nice
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    that would be nice
    There is a kid who developed it, but it only works for one person per screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

• We'll hold them at bay

There is a kid who developed it, but it only works for one person per screen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
    well then, all future attractions can be designed just for me
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

•   
    • Seasick

I think that 3D attractions in the park will continue to have their place, as long as the additional effects continue to evolve and play a bigger part in the shows. Even as 3D movies become more commonplace in general theaters, something like Philharmagic has enough added bells & whistles that I consider it a different type of attraction. Muppet Vision 3D, not so much.

Can we please reduce the amount of water effects in 3D theater shows? I hate having to wipe the glasses off multiple times during a given show.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    well then, all future attractions can be designed just for me

I personally think a 3-D technology like that would work WONDERS on Mission Space for instance, or another attraction where you would have 1 viewing portal per person.

I personally think a 3-D technology like that would work WONDERS on Mission Space for instance, or another attraction where you would have 1 viewing portal per person.

very true though it'd be interesting to see how you could convert the basic premise of the software away from something you'd have to physically wear, bet you could use face mapping software somehow?

Youknow when I was there at New Years the images they showed you in Mission space looked pretty rough I mean I know it's mostly rendered but is it rendered in real time or something? The Graphics really aren't all that great (maybe they should use the CryEngine2 for their rendering ) but fortunately the ride system really carries the tech and I loved the ride overall

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    very true though it'd be interesting to see how you could convert the basic premise of the software away from something you'd have to physically wear, bet you could use face mapping software somehow?

Youknow when I was there at New Years the images they showed you in Mission space looked pretty rough I mean I know it's mostly rendered but is it rendered in real time or something? The Graphics really aren't all that great (maybe they should use the CryEngine2 for their rendering ) but fortunately the ride system really carries the tech and I loved the ride overall
    I noticed that too, more so when I rode the no-spin side with my daughter, I think it has more to do with the fact that the rides take a long time to develop and when they debuted MS with the spinning and all most people didn't notice that the 3d rendering was probably a year or two obsolete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast