Block Party Bash Expectations

This is my blog from my newsletter about Disney's Hollywood Studios newest parade. I would love to hear your thoughts if you have seen it.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently imported a new afternoon “parade” called the Block Party Bash from Disneyland in California. This “parade” replaced the Stars and Motorcars Parade at Disney-MGM Studios.

OK you may be wondering why I placed the term “parade” in quotes…well this event isn’t a true “parade”. To me, a Disney parade is something that has music, floats, characters, and other performers, all of which Disney’s Block Party Bash has. The major difference though is that Disney’s other parades are for the most part constantly moving throughout their route from beginning to end.

Disney’s Block Party Bash is a bit different. What it does is move along a bit and then stop. The characters and other performers will sing and dance in front of you for about 10 minutes and then the “parade” moves further along the route and they will perform the same show again for the next set of guests. This is great because it allows you a longer period of time to see some of your favorite Toy Story characters, instead of the traditional “drive by and wave” parades.

I have found one potential flaw though with the route. The old parade, Stars and Motorcars, began in the back of the park near Star Tours and moved to the front. Disney’s Block Party Bash begins at the front of the park and moves to the back. If you look at Disney’s Hollywood Studios map and follow the parade route, it looks like the parade will run all the way to Star Tours. This is not correct. The actual parade ENDS right in front of Sounds Dangerous. Then the performers and characters move toward the exit by Star Tours, but they DO NOT perform, they just walk by.

If you look on the map, the route makes you think that they will perform all the way back to Star Tours. If you are trying to find a place to sit for the parade in advance make sure that you do not set up camp past Sounds Dangerous.

The Block Party Bash is a nice change of pace for Disney’s traditional parades. Kids will love the bright colors of the outfits, characters, and floats. Kudos to Disney for trying something different!

• We'll hold them at bay

Re: Block Party Bash Expectations

Thanks for the info, we're hitting this in May
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• I'm A

I enjoyed it when I watched it but I sat directly in front of the hat along the route and that meant that the parade stopped 10 yds. away and then it moved and I ended up with last car on the second show stop. Other than that I really enjoyed what they did with all of the different props.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This was a problem I had with it as well. What's disappointing is that you're stuck with the same float the entire show. Which could be good or bad depending on where you are. It eventually grew on me and I did enjoy it but it's certainly not a parade.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Uust a quick correction -- Block Party Bash came from Disney's California Adventure and not from Disneyland.

Don't they mark on the map where the parade will stop to perform? They did that at DCA.

• Banned User

As long as they keep shooting the little nerf balls out, i'm ok. Also, They didn't dumb down the choreography much, it's barely noticeable. The florida cast does seem a little less energetic, but i'll let them slide because of their pay scale.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Are there colored party zones like at DCA? (Red=Sunshine Plaza, Blue=Golden Dreams/Paradise Pier) I really miss being able to see BPB at DCA.

• Banned User

I love your current TDL 25th signature Imagineerthat.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Newsletter View Post
    I have found one potential flaw though with the route. The old parade, Stars and Motorcars, began in the back of the park near Star Tours and moved to the front. Disney’s Block Party Bash begins at the front of the park and moves to the back. If you look at Disney’s Hollywood Studios map and follow the parade route, it looks like the parade will run all the way to Star Tours. This is not correct. The actual parade ENDS right in front of Sounds Dangerous. Then the performers and characters move toward the exit by Star Tours, but they DO NOT perform, they just walk by.
    Actually it is the same her in California. It starts at the front of the park and ends in the back of the park. In my opinion, I liked it. It's so energetic. Maybe it's because the performers in CA are more energetic in CA then FL. I sure do miss the parade.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I sure do miss the parade.
    Amen. PPP just seems to be missing something BPB had. I can't tell what, but it's missing something. I never really got to appreciate BPB until the rumor popped up that it was closing, so when I saw it in October, it was my first and last time seeing it. It's too bad Florida's doesn't seem as energetic though.

• RCMC BlackSmith

If anyone goes and comes back with a video, I would luv to see it!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• Twice Charmed

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    As long as they keep shooting the little nerf balls out, i'm ok. Also, They didn't dumb down the choreography much, it's barely noticeable. The florida cast does seem a little less energetic, but i'll let them slide because of their pay scale.
    Just to clarify, payscale has nothing to do with it. DL and WDW operate on different unions, and Equity (WDW's union) has stricter rules on what a performer is and is not allowed to perform on cement, and also on what level of difficulty a "parade performer" is allowed to be performing to still be considered a "parade performer" (as opposed to a higher-scaled "dancer" position). It's more likely than not that any changes in choreography are due to these restrictions imposed by unions. AGVA (DL's union) is a notoriously lax and lenient union that has little actual power...though in recent years Equity is following not too far behind.