Disney Transport

I just got back from visiting WDW with my brother and sister in law for an extended weekend. First off, I've been visiting every year since I was born I used to live in Ohio. Living in Florida is a relatively new thing for me. So, the transport system at the parks used to be something we enjoyed. Now, not so much.

Anyways, the last three trips I've made with my family, we've realized the bus system is getting worse and worse. I'm not sure if it's because the resort is getting bigger or they're running buses less often. But, it's becoming quite ridiculous actually. We stay at Fort Wilderness more than any other resort, and their buses are by far the absolute worst.

First you have to wait for an internal bus, then you have to wait for the external bus which takes you to the parks. Many times, these external buses are shared with other resorts. When we first got to the campground on Thursday, we went to the Magic Kingdom. Well, the internal bus took FORTY FIVE minutes to show up. The boats are almost always on time and frequent, so there was no issue there. But, on the way back, it took us an hour and a half to get back to our cabin from the Magic Kingdom.

After that, we drove everywhere and it was so much less stressful. While driving, we noticed there were always a TON of people waiting at the bus stops, both in the campground and at the parks. This wasn't just for us either. It seemed like all the resort stops were packed with people.

I know the buses are "free", but how many other people think the transportation system is beyond abysmal at this point? How many of you drive and don't even bother with Disney Transport anymore?
    Last edited by halltd; 04-20-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    -Tim

• Banned User

Re: Disney Transport

ok, I was going to ask about this system. I am staying at pop century ( maybe port orleans) can the bus go directly to the parks, or do I have to get off then take a shuttle?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I drive to Walt Disney World so I drive from place to place. The buses suck, period.

• World Traveler

I've taken Disney transport and it's usually pretty good. There was once a bus from the Animal Kingdom to Pop Century that must have taken about an hour to arrive. I did notice that the deluxe resorts have better service than the value resorts. It's a shame this has gotten so bad.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I did notice that the deluxe resorts have better service than the value resorts. It's a shame this has gotten so bad.
    I can agree with that, we noticed that there was at least 4 Deluxe resort buses to our one All-Star. One time we waited for at least 30 minutes to have the bus show up and the driver jump out and walk away for her shift change. I was a little upset about that, mostly cause I was carting around 2 worn out kids...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Can't get enough!

We ALWAYS rent a car because we HATE the buses. Like you said coastierox, if you are carrying tired/sleeping kids it's very difficult!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Disneyholic

First off Haltd I have also noticed a decline in bus service over the past 10-12 years or so but to be honest its always been hit or miss on catching the bus at WDW. In the past few years the timing between buses seems to have increased by quite a bit but I think its more an issue of them not coordinating their routes as well anymore because I have noticed that when waiting at the bus stop for my wife last trip we saw multiple buses every 5-10 mins for the same park then long gaps before they returned, I think they are simply getting bunched up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    ok, I was going to ask about this system. I am staying at pop century ( maybe port orleans) can the bus go directly to the parks, or do I have to get off then take a shuttle?
    No the internal shuttle buses he is referring to are at the campgrounds, and I always found them way too confusing myself when we resort hopped to there or tried to get to the Hoop De Doo Review. The resorts you mentioned have multiple bus stops but in theory the resprt buses come direct to you and stop at each stop in your resort.

You may be sharing a bus in one way or another depending on the time of day, destination etc. So for example you might have to make a stop at Downtown Disney efore going to Typhoon Lagoon for example.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I've taken Disney transport and it's usually pretty good. There was once a bus from the Animal Kingdom to Pop Century that must have taken about an hour to arrive. I did notice that the deluxe resorts have better service than the value resorts. It's a shame this has gotten so bad.
    Well I guess you get what you pay for... I think its more a matter of volume. The Deluxe Disney resorts have fewer rooms than the all star or pop century resorts. So at park closing you typically see HUGE lines for the all star resorts and may have to wait for a few buses to arrive before you can cram into one. On the other hand the Deluxe lines may be shorter by comparison but the buses come less frequently sometimes so your still stuck in line and still have to cram into a standing room only bus for the trip home. But the perception is smaller lines = more buses but trust me when I say those of us in the lines for the Poly or Contemporary resorts are all complaining about all the value resort buses coming through while we wait for ours...

Now what I have seen in terms of better service has been at the GF, they have covered bus waiting area with fans and TV's but more importantly when we arrived from another resort last trip they had a CM with a two way radio who waved the bus on and called for an empty bus since there where no seats available. So yes in that case it does appear to be true...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

I love the Disney Transport buses. I think it works great.

Now, that being said, I would probably hate it if I was staying at Fort Wilderness Campground and had to wait for an internal shuttle to then get me to the "real" bus. But then again, if you stay there often, you KNOW that that's part of the deal.

There are no other resorts that work that way, however. There are no other resorts where you must take an internal bus to then get to a bus stop to wait for a bus to the parks.

As to the Deluxe resorts having better bus service ... all I can say is that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. Keep in mind that almost all of the Deluxe resorts share buses with other Deluxe resorts, meaning you will have to waste time driving to other resorts and picking up/dropping off passengers at other resorts before getting to yours.

Pop Century doesn't share buses. If you are at the bus stop at Pop and get on a Magic Kingdom bus, the next place the bus will stop will be MK itself.

Technically, POFQ shares buses with POR, but it's not as bad as it sounds. POFQ has one stop, POR has 4, so even if the bus goes to all of the stops, it's 5 stops in a relatively small area (unlike multiple stops at the various Deluxe resorts). However, during my week at POFQ, when taking a bus in the morning we went to POR only twice out of 7 times ... all the rest of the times we went right from the POFQ bus stop to the park we were heading to. Also, at Magic Kingdom, POFQ and POR have separate buses after 3:00 p.m.

The reason I say that the POFQ/POR bus-sharing is no big deal is that the other Moderates have multiple INTERNAL stops, as well. CSR has 4 stops and CBR has 7. But again, these are rather close together and therefore easier to take than stopping at several Deluxe resorts.

As to the comment about the bus stop located at Grand Floridian ... this is the only situation where, with the buses, you get what you pay for. I don't know much about the Deluxe resorts, but I can compare Moderates and Values. The bus stops at the Moderates are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun), and the bus stops at Values are not covered. Moderates have numerous bus stops within the grounds of the resort, which means that no one has a far walk to a bus. Values can have grounds just as large as the Moderates' grounds, yet they only have one bus stop at the front of the reosrt, meaning a lot of people have a longer walk. So like I said, bus stops at the resorts are the only instance in Disney Transport where you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    But then again, if you stay there often, you KNOW that that's part of the deal.
    We've always accepted it because it wasn't really all that bad. But, they just changed the internal bus routes which directly affects the cabin loops. Plus, I've never seen so many people just walking to the front or back of the campground as I have this time. We talked to several of the people walking and they said they were tired of waiting 45 minutes for a bus, so they just walked. If you've ever been to the campground before, you know it's QUITE the trek to the lake if you're staying in the cabins.

When the bus finally does arrive, you then have to go pick up people at the Wilderness Lodge too and sometimes the Grand Floridian. On the return trip, they get dropped off first too. The cabins are a lot more expensive than the value resorts too, so I don't think the "you get what you pay for" rule applies here.

My group theorized that they changed the frequency of the buses and the actual routes to encourage people to purchase the electric carts inside the campground. It seems to be working too because I've never seen as many carts as I did this trip. They were everywhere.
    -Tim

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    We've always accepted it because it wasn't really all that bad. But, they just changed the internal bus routes which directly affects the cabin loops. Plus, I've never seen so many people just walking to the front or back of the campground as I have this time. We talked to several of the people walking and they said they were tired of waiting 45 minutes for a bus, so they just walked. If you've ever been to the campground before, you know it's QUITE the trek to the lake if you're staying in the cabins.

When the bus finally does arrive, you then have to go pick up people at the Wilderness Lodge too and sometimes the Grand Floridian. On the return trip, they get dropped off first too. The cabins are a lot more expensive than the value resorts too, so I don't think the "you get what you pay for" rule applies here.

My group theorized that they changed the frequency of the buses and the actual routes to encourage people to purchase the electric carts inside the campground. It seems to be working too because I've never seen as many carts as I did this trip. They were everywhere.
    Don't they also have the option of renting a electric golf cart for use on property? Last time I was there I remember seeing quite a few near the boat dock/general store area. Yes its not free but might be an option for the next trip if you don't want to drive...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    The Pop Century (and Port Orleans) busses take you directly to the parks and Downtown Disney. I've stayed at both hotels so I know this is a fact. Just make sure you're at the right bus stop for the park you want to go to (but the busses say on the front what park they're going to when they pull up to the stop).

• SpitSpot!

We prefer to rent a car than take Disney transportation with the exception of going to Magic Kingdom. I takes longer to park at the TTC catch the monorail or boat then walk to the gate. Much faster taking a resort bus to MK - but that is only beacuse we stay at POP when we go. One day I am going to save enough money to stay at a resort on the monorail line.

We have only ever been at Christmas time so crowds are peak and wait times are long. But the convenice of your own car is awesome!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I usually prefer to drive my own car, but after driving an hour & a half to get to WDW, I get lazy and just let the busses take it from there. Saves gas too.