Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney

What if the Magic Kingdom had a parking lot...

During a recent trip at an Epcot resort I started to really feel that the Magic Kingdom is really not very convient because of the whole Ticket and Transportation Center.

I understand what they were trying to do (make the Magic Kingdom seem secluded etc.)

I had a rental car, but for the sake of convience I took the bus. And the bus drops you off at the door so most resort guests don't get the monorail or boat ride.

Let's pretend that they decided to knock down the trees to the left of the Magic Kingdom, drained a small section of the lake and built a parking lot.

Would you be for it? Or would something 'magical' be lost?

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• I'm A

Re: What if the Magic Kingdom had a parking lot...

Honestly the only reason the bus stations are there is because so many resort guests complained. About it. Those bus stations are a relatively recent addition. And I believe that the TTC should reclaim its former glory as the center for Transport for the Resort.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Sorvian View Post
    Honestly the only reason the bus stations are there is because so many resort guests complained. About it. Those bus stations are a relatively recent addition. And I believe that the TTC should reclaim its former glory as the center for Transport for the Resort.
    I want to echo this. I think there should be a TTC, but not the current one.

I am a big fan of a centralized parking structure that has people mover like vehicles that take people to their destinations, i.e. downtown disney, magic kingdom, epcot, animal kingdom, disney hollywood studios, resorts and so on.

I think it would be cost effective, and improve the overall guest experience.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I actually wish the current MK parking lot was removed (as well as Epcot's, Hollywood Studios' and Animal Kingdom's). Like Eric said, I wish there was a centralized parking lot/structure that had a REAL TTC at it. Then all resorts and parks would be connected by some type of EFFICIENT transportation system.

I'm probably one of the few people that think the parking lots at the other parks (Epcot, DHS, DAK) take away from the experience, not Magic Kingdom's.

Just think about how much they could expand the Poly and how many trees they could plant around that stupid race track if they moved the MK's parking lot somewhere else!

But, removing trees next to the MK and putting a parking lot there is something I hope NEVER happens. That quite possibly would be worse than the Kingdom Tower.

On the subject of parking, who thinks they're going to build a parking structure at the Contemporary? They don't have enough parking as it is. I can't imagine how short they're going to be once the Kingdom Tower opens.
    -Tim

• RCMC BlackSmith

We dont rent Cars or bring our cars. Why rent a Car... You have free Transportation!!! (well, if youre in the world) We dont like to rent a car because it wastes money, and ever since my first trip, we have always used the monorail and buses. Without those, it just wouldnt be as fun!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• World Traveler

A parking lot adjacent to the Magic Kingdom would be a really bad idea. I do forsee someday Disney building parking structures somewhere to better use the land they have though.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

I feel that if they were for some reason to build a parking lot next to the Magic Kingdom a lot of the magic would be gone. But, I don't see them building a centralized parking "garage". I have been to WDW at different times of the year and never see a parking lot fill to capacity. Once, I did see the MK lot come close but it was the day of the taping of the WDW Christmas Day Parade. And, don't even start avout the other parks. DHS, Epcot, and DAK NEVER fill their parking lots. Why would Disney waste their money??? But, then again they have wasted money on some stupid attractions. (Stitch's Great Escape) So, who knows?

• Disneyholic

The whole reason for the separation at MK from the lot and the park was to isolate it from the "real world" and also build the anticipation of "the show" which is the MK. I agree that the bus stations should removed and go back to the TTC hub, I quite frankly liked it when the TTC was a real hub and you could hop a but to anywhere from there, especially when staying at the Polynesian.

Now why would they build a new larger expanded TTC/parking facility? Well I can think of a few reasons why it might be a good idea for us and Disney:
    • it makes it a lot less confusing for first time drivers entering the World if there's one central location to park for all day visitors.
    • It opens the potential to expand the parks into areas where the parking lots currently stand, MGM in particular could use the space if they plan to add new attractions.
    • It removes a lot f the traffic and pollution from the parks and resorts, clean air is always a good thing.
    • A true TTC hub for the world opens the door to additional retail space for the day trippers, I'd be surprised if we didn't see a world of Disney or mini marketplace built in there...
    • It would allow Disney to shift jobs from non revenue generating positions (tram drivers, parking attendants) to other positions (retail as described above) and eliminate some toll booth worker overhead.
    • It would allow for more anticipation and build up for the show, much like the original layout of the MK, for the other parks. It also gives them an opportunity for more sales and advertising spiels like there is on the monorail today.
    • By centralizing and using people mover, monorail or similar mass transit technology Disney would save a fortune on fuel and maintenance costs for the buses, and more importantly decrease the total number of transportation employees. This could in the long run save a lot of money.
    • If all traffic is moving to and from a central location it makes it easier to manage and optimize buses etc which means more reliable or at least predictable transportation for most visitors.
    • As already stated they can use the space to expand and improve the existing resorts land maybe add a new one or two in the MK area.
    • Finally it would dramatically reduce the rental cars on property, if you can't just drive to the parks directly to avoid the hassle of the bus there's less of a reason for most people to rent one...
    Now would this be fast cheap and easy? Heck no! But nothing worthwhile ever is, except maybe hugging your kids... It probably won't happen but I do think it has its merits and is not a dumb idea. Eventually with oil prices rising at the rate they are Disney will have to start transitioning away from the bus model and fewer people will want to drive any more than they need to, add the potential carbon banking of consolidation and adding more green spaces around the parks might become a necessity to stay in business in this eco conscious world. (Not that Disney is not already very progressive in this area already compared to others....)
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

^ I like the concept of a revised TTC being more like Downtown Disney. That's a really interesting concept.

I think they should've kept the original concept going. I mean, they already group resorts by theme park. Like, there are DAK resorts, Epcot resorts, etc... I can envision each group of resorts being linked by a monorail/light rail/people mover. So, Epcot would be tied with the Epcot resorts just like the MK resorts are now. Have those four (or five if you count Downtown Disney) loops all connect at the "TTC" and people only have to transfer once. And, for one park, they don't have to transfer at all.

If the loop transport is efficient, even with one transfer, the entire trip would take less time than it does now. The problem with buses is that they have to stop at traffic lights, stop signs, parking toll plazas, etc.... So, they take forever. Plus, they can be involved in auto accidents (which I've seen many of).

Make the transport fun and people will enjoy it. Make it "meh" like the buses, and people will hate it.
    -Tim

i like the idea of a centralized hub, for transportation. I've only gone to WDW twice but i know the layout. If the TTC was more centralized then it is now, i can picture monorails extending outward in different directions, such as (not limited to these only) the existing MK area, the Animal Kingdom and resorts, Epcot and resorts, and others like Downtown disney, maybe the water parks and the wide world of sports, who knows, if disney is willing to spend the money, anything is possible.

Orginally when Walt was creating the "Florida property" as it was called, the center was named EPCOT (different from the park for thoser who don't know) and there were peoplemovers that extended out to different areas and neighborhoods. (EPCOT was a city not a theme park). With this new system of monorails for the present day, it would be like resurrecting Walt's ideas that never became reality. It would be great.

I like when I get to take the monorail to the magic kingdom, but I dont think I would want to add the travel time to park on part of property and have to transport to the park of my choice that day. It would be very crowded if not only resort guests but all day guests as well were travelling on WDW transport everywhere. And frankly, I'd rather Disney keep the parking the way it is and spend the billions it would take to implement these parking/transport ideas and put that money into new attractions, parks, refurbs, etc....

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    The whole reason for the separation at MK from the lot and the park was to isolate it from the "real world" and also build the anticipation of "the show" which is the MK. I agree that the bus stations should removed and go back to the TTC hub, I quite frankly liked it when the TTC was a real hub and you could hop a but to anywhere from there, especially when staying at the Polynesian.

Now why would they build a new larger expanded TTC/parking facility? Well I can think of a few reasons why it might be a good idea for us and Disney:
    • it makes it a lot less confusing for first time drivers entering the World if there's one central location to park for all day visitors.
    • It opens the potential to expand the parks into areas where the parking lots currently stand, MGM in particular could use the space if they plan to add new attractions.
    • It removes a lot f the traffic and pollution from the parks and resorts, clean air is always a good thing.
    • A true TTC hub for the world opens the door to additional retail space for the day trippers, I'd be surprised if we didn't see a world of Disney or mini marketplace built in there...
    • It would allow Disney to shift jobs from non revenue generating positions (tram drivers, parking attendants) to other positions (retail as described above) and eliminate some toll booth worker overhead.
    • It would allow for more anticipation and build up for the show, much like the original layout of the MK, for the other parks. It also gives them an opportunity for more sales and advertising spiels like there is on the monorail today.
    • By centralizing and using people mover, monorail or similar mass transit technology Disney would save a fortune on fuel and maintenance costs for the buses, and more importantly decrease the total number of transportation employees. This could in the long run save a lot of money.
    • If all traffic is moving to and from a central location it makes it easier to manage and optimize buses etc which means more reliable or at least predictable transportation for most visitors.
    • As already stated they can use the space to expand and improve the existing resorts land maybe add a new one or two in the MK area.
    • Finally it would dramatically reduce the rental cars on property, if you can't just drive to the parks directly to avoid the hassle of the bus there's less of a reason for most people to rent one...
    Now would this be fast cheap and easy? Heck no! But nothing worthwhile ever is, except maybe hugging your kids... It probably won't happen but I do think it has its merits and is not a dumb idea. Eventually with oil prices rising at the rate they are Disney will have to start transitioning away from the bus model and fewer people will want to drive any more than they need to, add the potential carbon banking of consolidation and adding more green spaces around the parks might become a necessity to stay in business in this eco conscious world. (Not that Disney is not already very progressive in this area already compared to others....)
    someone has thought a lot about this
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Shubisha

How recent are the bus stops to the right of MK's main entrance? I do remember when I went in 1999 that I took the bus from caribbean beach resort and then had to take the monorail but last time around was confused because all the resort stops were by the main entrance and the only busses that went from the TTC were ones that went between parks.

I ask this on the topic of "show" because the person I'm going with on my trip next month has never been and for the first day I'd like to go to the TTC and take the monorail into Magic Kingdom so she gets the view from across the lake. Is there still a direct bus from Port Orleans Riverside to the TTC or will I just have to deal with going straight to the MK entrance?

The MK bus from Port Orleans goes right to the main entrance of the MK. The only way to get around that is to drive or park hop from Epcot on the monorail. I believe the inter-park buses (from DHS and DAK) also drop you off right at the front gate now too.

Your other option would be to eat breakfast at one of the MK resorts (like Chef Mickey's or Whispering Canyon) and then take either a boat or monorail to the park. This again would require you to have a car or take a cab.
    -Tim

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    someone has thought a lot about this

LOL no basically just stream of consciousness, I do this sort of analysis in one shape or form all the time.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast