Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A question for you imagineering experts out there!

Hey Micechatters,

I am wondering if anyone out there knows where I can find information about the rebar-forming machinery that imagineering uses to create mountainscapes at the parks. Specifically, I am looking for information about the device used to create the "chips" that formed Expedition Everest. I am currently researching a project on Design in the Digital Age, and am using Everest as a subject in an investigation into the various types of digital design used in creating a theme park attraction.

If anyone has any links, info, knows of anywhere this is mentioned, etc., and could post it, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks folks!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: A question for you imagineering experts out there!

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    Hey Micechatters,

I am wondering if anyone out there knows where I can find information about the rebar-forming machinery that imagineering uses to create mountainscapes at the parks. Specifically, I am looking for information about the device used to create the "chips" that formed Expedition Everest. I am currently researching a project on Design in the Digital Age, and am using Everest as a subject in an investigation into the various types of digital design used in creating a theme park attraction.

If anyone has any links, info, knows of anywhere this is mentioned, etc., and could post it, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks folks!
    There are computer controled rebar benders out there, such as this one

http://www.rmsrebar.com/14.html

However a lot of bar is bent and burned on site. I would guess with a project the magnitude of EE, a lot of the bar was formed offsite using a computer controlled bender. Rebar can be tricky to bend, as it's not really consistent. Somtimes it springs back more that others. I don't know about Florida labor, but in many places you need someone out of an Ironworkers Hall to work bar.

As far as the design process, it's pretty much like any other CNC device. You design the shape you want in the CAD program of your choosing, and then you download that data to your CNC machine, be a a milling machine or a rebar bender.

If you want to get into the structural design of rebar and reinforced concrete design, when then thats something I would have to think about before answering, as I haven't done anything like that for over 15 years.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

I believe there is an entire book dedicated to the engineering that goes into the Disney Mountains available on amazon, that's probably a good place to start.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by aquata View Post
    I believe there is an entire book dedicated to the engineering that goes into the Disney Mountains available on amazon, that's probably a good place to start.
    are you talking about this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Mountai...9409515&sr=8-1

Its not just about the engineering but some of that is in there. Its more histroy and imagineering
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

That's the one!
    Good to know, I only saw it on a search result on amazon recently, I've never actually flipped through it. Is it interesting enough to merit purchasing it?

• We'll hold them at bay

That's the one!
    Good to know, I only saw it on a search result on amazon recently, I've never actually flipped through it. Is it interesting enough to merit purchasing it?

yes its good. as are his other books on Pirates and Haunted Mansion
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Great! I will certainly be picking those up the next time I have enough money to. Thanks MJMcB!

• We'll hold them at bay

Great! I will certainly be picking those up the next time I have enough money to. Thanks MJMcB!
    you're welcome. All three are excellent. Obviously, the Pirates and HM ones are more focused but cover the attraction in all of the parks, even Paris. The Mountian books covers all the mountains with more attention towards Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Space and Splash. Less so on Everest and some others
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    you're welcome. All three are excellent. Obviously, the Pirates and HM ones are more focused but cover the attraction in all of the parks, even Paris. The Mountian books covers all the mountains with more attention towards Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Space and Splash. Less so on Everest and some others

Shouldn't matter too much the computer automated rebar bender technology was developed for Splash Mountain if I remember correctly so it should cover it.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Shouldn't matter too much the computer automated rebar bender technology was developed for Splash Mountain if I remember correctly so it should cover it.
    Like I said, the book does not get that technical. Its mostly the history and imagineering
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Thanks for the recommendations. I've done a pretty good search through Jason Surrell's books, they're great, but like some have said, are pretty conceptual and not so much technical. I've also referenced the self title Imagineering book, and that has some informaton. There is a pretty good Science channel documentary that actually has quite a bit of information also.

Many sources say that Imagineering has patented this technology, so I've tried to do a patent search, so far I've come up with nada. I could have sworn that once I saw a film clip of the rebar bending machine in action, but I can't remember where. Huh, its a little frustrating, oh well.

Thanks for the help guys!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Disneyholic

I remember it from one of the travel channel shows, go to their web page and search for it you may get lucky as they have a lot of clips and even full shows online.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• I'm A

I know that I saw the machine in action on Imagineer That! before DCA opened. So maybe do a search on that too.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Pilot EdForceOne

I do know its all modeled first, then fabricated. I know they build it in sections and then haul it up and mount them, but I don't recall seeing how they prepare the bar in the small sections.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've done a pretty good search through Jason Surrell's books, they're great, but like some have said, are pretty conceptual and not so much technical. I've also referenced the self title Imagineering book, and that has some informaton. There is a pretty good Science channel documentary that actually has quite a bit of information also.

Many sources say that Imagineering has patented this technology, so I've tried to do a patent search, so far I've come up with nada. I could have sworn that once I saw a film clip of the rebar bending machine in action, but I can't remember where. Huh, its a little frustrating, oh well.

Thanks for the help guys!
    They might have patented a specific aspect of the technology, but not automatic rebar benders themselves. They are in use all over the place, especialy for common shapes such as in beams.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast