View Poll Results: What Do you look for in a WDW resort?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Concierge Service

2 6.25%
  • High Speed Internet

9 28.13%
  • Themed Pool area

13 40.63%
  • Table service dining

7 21.88%
  • Spa and or Hottub on property

7 21.88%
  • Watercraft rentals

2 6.25%
  • Variety of Sports and recreation options

1 3.13%
  • Disney Transportation/proximity to a particular park.

20 62.50%
  • Resort's theme/Atmosphere

24 75.00%
  • Just a clean bed to sleep in

16 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

• Disneyholic

What do you look for in a Hotel when going to WDW?

I'm real curious as to what everyone is really looking for in a WDW hotel/resort, I see a lot of posts by people looking for the "cheapest" rates but then most of the regulars on the board seem to frequent the Deluxe and Moderate resorts...

So what exactly are you looking for Mice Chatters?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Re: What do you look for in a Hotel when going to WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I'm real curious as to what everyone is really looking for in a WDW hotel/resort, I see a lot of posts by people looking for the "cheapest" rates but then most of the regulars on the board seem to frequent the Deluxe and Moderate resorts...

We tend to stay at the values. The best parts of the deluxe and moderate resorts are their restaurants and their lobbies and common areas. We can go to those any time we want. And really, once you've seen the place, you've seen it. As for the small rooms, well we're in the room to sleep and we don't do much else. We're out and about all over the place mostly. So we just don't see paying all that extra money for a hotel room. We also like the more Disney whimsical theming of the values such as Pop or ASMo.

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

We stay at Holiday Inn all the time...cheaper and will accommodate all of us. We always get the Kids Suite (2 sets of bunk beds and a bed for me and hubby). Most other hotels have the max occupancy set at 4 or 5 people. (There are 6 of us.) I am also with Priority Club and earn points towards free nights or other rewards.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• We'll hold them at bay

Most important I just want a bed. But with some other choices I know my kids like a good pool. Location, such as the Boardwalk, is important. Food choices, like the Poly or AKL, helps too
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPeaRules View Post
    We stay at Holiday Inn all the time...cheaper and will accommodate all of us. We always get the Kids Suite (2 sets of bunk beds and a bed for me and hubby). Most other hotels have the max occupancy set at 4 or 5 people. (There are 6 of us.) I am also with Priority Club and earn points towards free nights or other rewards.
    Do they have a shuttle to the parks or do you rent a car?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

For me it all depends on the occasion and why I'm going. If it's just a quick short weekend, I do the values. (Pop Century specifically) If it's for my honey and I, we shoot for the French Quarter. And of course if family is coming to town, it's whatever resort is closest to them, but not the Deluxe resorts as we tend to only stay there if we can get a good rate.

If money wasn't an option, it would be for the atmosphere and the fact that it has a spa. I like to rest my feet in the jacuzzi at the end of the day, helps with my tired self. LOL

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    For me it all depends on the occasion and why I'm going. If it's just a quick short weekend, I do the values. (Pop Century specifically) If it's for my honey and I, we shoot for the French Quarter. And of course if family is coming to town, it's whatever resort is closest to them, but not the Deluxe resorts as we tend to only stay there if we can get a good rate.

If money wasn't an option, it would be for the atmosphere and the fact that it has a spa. I like to rest my feet in the jacuzzi at the end of the day, helps with my tired self. LOL

Oh yeah the "hot springs" Jacuzzis by fire rock geyser in the pool area at the Wilderness lodge are lifesavers (or is that leg savers) after a long day in the parks. Shame more of the properties don't have them.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Pretty much just a clean room with a comfortable bed since I'm pretty much in the room just to sleep. But lately I've been able to get halfway decent deals at Pop Century, so I've stayed there my last couple trips (and will be staying there in a couple weeks). But if I can find a better deal off-site, I'll stay there instead.

• RCMC BlackSmith

We dont spend much time at the hotel. Just to sleep and eat if we're not in the parks or if we dont have dinner reservations.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• Why can't you tune a fish

DVC rooms are of course a first pick. But if I am out of points, then I go for location and I have been spoiled and do like a larger room. I used to be a "all I need is a cardboard box with a bed in it" person, but I have become spoiled. I like larger tooms, I like a couch, I like a kitchen. Even though I spend a grand total of about 2-3 non-sleeping hours a day in the room, it does make a difference to me.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

I hate the word "cheapest"...sounds cheap..much prefer "least expensive"....That aside, I like middle of the road when staying on property. Rooms are a little bigger, all the pools have slides which kids love, but most important is the service, that the rooms are clean and fresh looking, a sit down restaurant on the resort grounds is also a plus.

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

Do they have a shuttle to the parks or do you rent a car?
    They do have shuttles but we always drive down. (we are near Jacksonville, FL) Also being an AP holder we don't have to worry about paying for parking either.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

I just returned from a 5-day trip at WDW. I like to try the different resorts so I stayed at the Caribbean Beach this time. It was pleasant enough, clean, buses were timely, CM's were fine, all was acceptable. Will I stay there again? Probably not and here's why...

If you compare price to value, the Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs offer the least value for the money. The reason is simple: these resorts are just too big. The Caribbean Beach, in fact, is so big that it has an internal bus system just to help people get from one side of the resort to the other. To simply go from your room to the food/shopping area is a trek and one you should definitely think through before you go so you don't forget anything and have to double back. There are no soda machines in the room buildings, just ice machines, so you have to walk out to one of the bus stops to get something to drink. Sure, the value resorts are just as big, but you're paying considerably less for them - almost half as much. For that reason, I would rather stay at a value resort than the Caribbean Beach again.

The theming at the Caribbean Beach is spread very thin. The theme itself is tenuous at best and certainly isn't reflected in the food offerings in the mess hall. The Coronado Springs has CB beat in both theming and food, offering a great sit down restaurant and a lobby that is picture worthy. There is sadly little that is picture worthy at CB. I had high hopes for the white sandy beaches they tout in the promotions, but these turned out to be very tiny little strips, located few and far between in front of some of the room buildings.

The other two moderates - Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter - offer much greater value, worthy of paying the additional price to be staying in a moderate resort. They are smaller in size, especially the French Quarter which is flat out tiny, they are much more elaborate and immersive in theme, have additional recreation options, and a boat that will take you to Downtown Disney. Between the two, I think the French Quarter has the most to offer, as there is a lot to be said for having a small, quiet, convenient resort to return home to after a day of tackling the crowds at WDW.

• Disneyholic

I have to agree, depending on which "island" grouping you are staying in it can be difficult to get to the dining hall at the Caribbean Beach resort, I also found it a little confusing as the check in desk and guest services are not located with the dining hall and main pool area, you have to go out of your way to get there from your room. Bus service is about on par with the value resorts as well. Also the sit down dining there was added as an afterthought to bring it in line with the other moderates, its simply a fenced off section of the main dining hall and shares the kitchen with the counter service restaurants in the food court.

Now all that being said I do like the fact that you have a quiet pool and playground for each of the "island" groupings and if you drive the parking is convenient to each building making is great for folks who prefer to drive to the parks. The bus stops are on the opposite side of the parking lots from the hotel buildings however which makes the walk back to your room during the day blistering hot.

In all it's still a nice resort, the CM's are great and it has a quiet laid back atmosphere to it, but it is the weakest of the moderate resorts and in many ways it seems like Disney couldn't make up its mind as to whether the resort should be a value or a moderate resort.