Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Your being WAY to hypocritical about DCA's queue.
    Wait...how am I a hypocrite? What did I say that contradicts another thing I said? And how can anyone say this when I'm defending WDW's queue? Honestly, this looks amazing and I'm willing to suspend belief. Do you guys seriously have something against the movie studio theme?

    I just don't get everyone's reasoning behind DCA's queue. It's uninspired and boring, but has a pretty building! The WDW one puts you in a STORY. Remember that? The DCA one DOES NOT. Disneyland used to tell stories for all its attractions. At least WDW attempts to nowadays...

  2. #32

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,344
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    I just don't get everyone's reasoning behind DCA's queue. It's uninspired and boring, but has a pretty building! The WDW one puts you in a STORY. Remember that? The DCA one DOES NOT. Disneyland used to tell stories for all its attractions. At least WDW attempts to nowadays...
    The whole narrative story thing is a new development in Disney theme park history. Plenty of attractions have been experiences, not narratives. Not much is needed to explain a large midway game on, well, a midway. As of right now there is a disconnect between the backlot surroundings and the internal nature of Pixar Place.

  3. #33

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    15

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    For those who question the theme need to wait until Pixar Place is finished. While a single, stand alone, Pixar ride may seem out of place, everything will make much more sense once several more movies have their little area. The connection between Pixar Place and Disney's Hollywood Studios is that the rides in Pixar Place put you inside of each movie, just like many of the other rides in DHS. In Toy Story Midway Mania, you actually become the size of a toy and feel like you could be in the movie.

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The whole narrative story thing is a new development in Disney theme park history. Plenty of attractions have been experiences, not narratives. Not much is needed to explain a large midway game on, well, a midway. As of right now there is a disconnect between the backlot surroundings and the internal nature of Pixar Place.
    Stories help rides become experiences. Without that, it's just a ride...

  5. #35

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Wait...how am I a hypocrite? What did I say that contradicts another thing I said? And how can anyone say this when I'm defending WDW's queue? Honestly, this looks amazing and I'm willing to suspend belief. Do you guys seriously have something against the movie studio theme?

    I just don't get everyone's reasoning behind DCA's queue. It's uninspired and boring, but has a pretty building! The WDW one puts you in a STORY. Remember that? The DCA one DOES NOT. Disneyland used to tell stories for all its attractions. At least WDW attempts to nowadays...
    Perhaps I used the wrong word.

    What do you know of both DHS and DCA's attraction other than a few pictures posted on the internet? Pretty much nothing. Doesn't mean you can't post your opinion, your just being to rash with it.


  6. #36

    • Disney/WWE/Anime fan
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,278

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    looks very intresting to me.

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    What do you know of both DHS and DCA's attraction other than a few pictures posted on the internet? Pretty much nothing. Doesn't mean you can't post your opinion, your just being to rash with it.
    I don't get it, how is everyone getting my argument wrong? I'm talking about the queue- not the ride. Sources have said that the ride is identical on both coasts, so it's up to how its presented beforehand well enough to achieve the best effect that determines which coast wins. Currently, WDW's wins. No matter what the ride is, I'd rather wait in that queue than the winding, barely shaded, boring one that DCA has. I still have said nothing bad about the ride itself, so yeah...

    Folks, I love Disneyland and DCA as much as the next guy, but this is a case where I'm gonna have to put my foot down. I was not happy with the Nemo subs because I expected better from my Imagineers, but all I got was an unhappy queue experience and a confusing ride. Though, I don't think the ride would be that bad if it wasn't for the queue. That was the main complaint my friends had. "DO NOT RIDE NEMO. Three and a half hours of nothing while waiting for looking out of portholes for ill-timed sequences! No bueno!" Queue makes a difference, plain and simple...

  8. #38

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Stories help rides become experiences. Without that, it's just a ride...
    Then how do you explain the Haunted Mansion, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the original Space Mountain, etc.?

    Sometimes I feel like I overuse this quote, but Mr. Davis just said it so well --

    "We don't really have a story, with a beginning, an end
    or a plot. It's more a series of experiences building up to
    a climax. I call them experience rides.
    - Marc Davis, 1969

    This idea that all rides must have a big, fancy backstory and a narrative of some sort is the creation of modern Walt Disney Imagineering, not Walt Disney and WED Imagineering.

    For more reading on "story" this thread goes into it pretty heavily, [Chat] - The Awful Truth: Admitting the DCA problem and the road to recovery

    And Re-Imagineering posted a couple great articles on the matter, too:
    Re-Imagineering: The Myth of Story
    Re-Imagineering: One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing!

    And if you're so concerned with there being a valid story for Toy Story Midway Mania, then how do you explain the inconsistencies with presentation? How can you create a good story if there are parts of it that just don't make any sense --- like the larger-than-life toys climbing and hanging from the real-size Pixar Studios building?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 05-01-2008 at 10:54 PM.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    "I like driving around in this little car thing and shooting at figures with my weird gun while wearing my 3-D glasses, but am I supposed to be big or small? Why are these toys so big outside of the building and inside? I'm so confused."
    -nobody

  10. #40

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by futureman View Post
    "I like driving around in this little car thing and shooting at figures with my weird gun while wearing my 3-D glasses, but am I supposed to be big or small? Why are these toys so big outside of the building and inside? I'm so confused."
    -nobody
    This is precisely why Disney is chipping away at these small thematic details, because people make snide jabs at them and Disney thinks that guests don't care about details and theme consistency.

    Maybe the guests don't think they care, but I'm wiling to bet that if Disney continues to water down their parks with under cooked attractions that thematically don't make any sense, people will start noticing.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  11. #41

    • DJ Ben
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    101

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    From what I've seen at Disney's California Adaventure and pics from here I think they put alot of work into something thats not really a ride, it looks more like a interactive experience which sounds like a cool concept which is being turned into a reality this summer.

  12. #42

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,601

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by benihodge View Post
    From what I've seen at Disney's California Adaventure and pics from here I think they put alot of work into something thats not really a ride, it looks more like a interactive experience which sounds like a cool concept which is being turned into a reality this summer.
    The 'ride' is definitely evolving but of course it will always be an 'attraction or adventure'.


    And since 'story' has been brought up, I'd like to just emphasize that this attraction was intended for DCA's Paradise Pier. And like MasterGracey has said, it doesn't need a story because it just fits in with the atmosphere of the land. Of course there are still issues of ginormous toys and what not but I actually don't really see Toy Story Midway Mania as an actual ride where the real characters are there. To me, it would work best as a ride only themed to Toy Story. Then the issue of scale would never be an issue because it's just a fun midway recreation.

    For the clone in DHS however, the lack of story or the specific angle of midway games really doesn't work in a studio park -- so they force feed you the concept of a new toy under Andy's bed and for you to join them to play. This isn't a ride that was meant to be there. This is just Disney doubling up on what they already paid for.

    DCA, the style and subject of the ride fits. In DHS, the awkward angle of bringing the toys to life and reducing you to the size of a toy to play under Andy's Bed, though it's just a brick building is always in question.

    This doesnt' mean the ride isn't fun. It's just not fully fleshed out as you'd expect Disney to be. It's declining by degrees on a more intellectual level.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  13. #43

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Golden State
    Posts
    1,539

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    Weee! I'll get to try both this year!
    I want my cake back!

  14. #44

    • Hall Of Promise
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    680

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    The queue is nice, but nothing outstanding like some are saying. The same goes for the DCA version, which is beautiful but still empty. I won't be blown away about a queue until we see the return of queues like Indy or Roger Rabbit at DL. Those are queue's to scream about.

    All in all it looks... colorful. Sadly, I'm not a Toy Story fan...

  15. #45

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneyland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    34
    Blog Entries
    238

    Re: Inside Toy Story Midway Mania - Pictures

    .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Toy Story Midway Mania
    By BCC in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
  2. [Pictures] TOY STORY MIDWAY MANIA PICTURES (MAJOR SPOILERS - view at your own risk)
    By Mouseketeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM
  3. When did it become Toy Story Mania and not Midway Mania
    By BFJen in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 02:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •