Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - worth it?

Hey everyone! I just found this board - I'm ususally on Disboards.com (under the same name), and I like it there, and this board seems great too! I have a question about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We will be there with our girls DD4 & DD2 and 1 or 2 sets of grandparents. We were thinking of leaving the kiddos with the grandparents and going to this ourselves (I don't think they could make it). Is it worth it? Since it will be in December, it could be very cold at that time (I do not like the cold), and I was also wondering how crouded it gets. What special things do you see / do the charactors do?

TIA!!!!

PS - Are the sitdown restaurants open that late too, or not?

• Banned User

Re: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - worth it?

I was planning on doing this to, but found many folks complaining it was so crowded and they could not see a lot of the stuff going on since the crowd level was so high. the park stays open until midnight. yeah, you get cookies and hot choclate, and you can stay in the park late, but to me it was not worth it.
    if you go, please give us a report

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Generally, as with the Halloween Party, they limit the number of tickets that are sold. At any rate it is an absolutely wonder party for both young and old. Go and have a wonderful time......you will love it..

• RCMC BlackSmith

I heard the Pirate and Princess Party is better. I havnt been to any of their parties though.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

We will be doing MVMCP this year. Never done it before.

However we did do the P&PP in March. It was soooo worth it! All the rides seemed to be walk-on. Got a great view of the show at Cindy's castle and didn't have to fight for a great view of the parade or fireworks.

If MVMCP is similar to the P&PP, then I think it is worth it! Plus I think you could get into the parks at 4pm for the P&PP.

I know that for the P&PP, the Crystal Palace was still open. Not sure what time they closed.

• RCMC BlackSmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry047 View Post
    We will be doing MVMCP this year. Never done it before.

However we did do the P&PP in March. It was soooo worth it! All the rides seemed to be walk-on. Got a great view of the show at Cindy's castle and didn't have to fight for a great view of the parade or fireworks.

If MVMCP is similar to the P&PP, then I think it is worth it! Plus I think you could get into the parks at 4pm for the P&PP.

I know that for the P&PP, the Crystal Palace was still open. Not sure what time they closed.
    I heard that you can just walk right on to the rides. I would just buy the ticket so I can be the only one on the rides!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I live on the west coast (so I'm not a local) and have been to MVMCP 5 times, the last being 2005. My family and I have loved it every time. I think it helped that we went on nights that didn't sell out (usually in the middle of the week) so it wasn't crowded, we were able to get good spots for the shows, parade and fireworks and the lines were minimal. I would absolutely recommend it, especially for families with kids under 12. We're going back to WDW this December and we're looking forward to going back to the party again - it's our favorite time of the year.

• Gawrsh!

I hear this party is amazing! I have only been to MNSSHP and if it's like that one, it's worth EVERY penny. I say go for it!

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party used to be worth it when it was something totally different. We did it when it was a family-style dinner with stage entertainment at the convention center at the Contemporary. It was amazingly. The entire family, kids through grandparents absolutely loved it.

I was sad when they discontinued it.
    -Tim

• and too all a good fright

Headed to MVMCP this year because the hubby really loved it last time. Frankly, this was one of the less magical moments (for me) of our trip. The parks were very quiet our last December trip, which made MVMCP seem all the more crowded. There is also already so much christmas stuff going on in the park (decor, tree lightings, holiday parades, characters dressed up) that I wouldn't feel as if I was missing out.

Rides- There are a lot of activities going on at MVMCP. If you do them all, there may not be time to do rides. Just something to consider if this is important to you.

The shows are a bit on the christmas corny side, which is great if you can let yourself fully go and get into the spirit. Cute, but a little too over the top for my taste.

Alternative if you are looking for something a little more subdued. I would highly reccomend a candlelight processional dinner package for just the two of you. Dinner reservations and reserved seating for the candleligt processional. And you can finish it up with Holiday Illuminations. Cost - regular park admission (covered if you have a park hopper) and dinner.

Weather --I wore jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. It was a little chilly and I wish I had had a long sleeve shirt. I'm from MI so my cold tolerance level is high. Pants & a Sweatshirt, you should be fine.

• back to WDW in January

Think "Extra Magic Hours" at a price, but with lots more people. For us, this was nothing like the P&PP. Of course that also depends on when you go. The farther away from Christmas you go, or the earlier in the season, the less crowded it will obviously be so please keep that in mind as you read on.
    If you don't mind celebrating the holiday a bit early, say November to the first week in December, then you may do just fine.
    We did the MVMCP the week before Christmas 2007 and were sadly disappointed. We had done it only once before when my son was a toddler (he is 17 now) and it was a completely different experience. We now also have 3 girls ages 15, 13 and 5 and I can honestly say none of us left feeling that this was money well spent. Just remember that Christmas is one of the busiest times of year and the night that we booked the party for was sold out which basically means crowded beyond belief. I believe nearly every night we were there was sold out. We never got to see any of the Mickey Nutcracker shows at the Theater as those are first come first serve and for us to wait in line we would have had to sacrifice nearly an hour of the time we had. They offer free cookies and hot chocolate at different places but the lines for those are long as well and there was nothing exceptional enough about those snacks to warrant missing out on other things. Speaking of which, nothing was a "walk on". The lines, though not impossibly long, were much longer than I would have expected and we did not get to go on nearly as much as we would have liked. There is no longer a Country Bears Christmas show which was disappointing as well. The fireworks were quite good and the Castle stage show was entertaining but once again, not really worth the extra money.
    By contrast, the "free" entertainment that is scattered throughout Epcot during the Christmas season not to mention a spectacular "free" seasonally themed fireworks show offered every night is a much better deal, less overwhelming and hectic and definitely worth every penny we did not spend.
    However if you are looking to spend money on something and add a little spice to your trip, I would highly recommend the candlelight processional at Epcot which is both entertaining and inspiring. Even my 5 year old liked it.

• Disneyholic

I think it depends on which dates you go, between Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas the parks are generally less crowded and a hard ticket event tends to draw a bigger crowd on those nights. With so many holiday related activities in the parks many find the event overkill compared to the others but it's still fun.

Now if you go between Christmas and New years when the parks are bursting at the seams this may be the only way to get on some of the e-ticket rides without waiting in line for hours.

So like everything in WDW it's all about timing and knowledge.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Banned User

I am glad I wil be missing these dates! the park closes at 7:00 and there for I would have had to go to another park. I did not want to spend the money for 5 hours of extra crowds. not to put this down, i am sure for some its worth it, me not so since I am not into shows and such. just want to do rides , have a nice meal and stroll. the dates I now picked andam sticking to are before this starts, and I am glad!

We've gone to the MVMCP several times and always have a great time. I does matter when you go as far as how crowded it is. We usually book for a Tues or Wed night as they are the least crowded. Unless of course you go a few days before Christmas, then its crowded no matter what you do. The firework show is spectacular! There are several activities all thru the park, the cookies and hot chocolate are tasty, and the wait in lines is generally short if there is one at all. It can get quite nippy tho, so I'd take a light jacket. Oh and the parade is wonderful too! I'd give it a try at least once. We like this party the best of all.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by SharpMomOfTwo View Post
    Hey everyone! I just found this board - I'm ususally on Disboards.com (under the same name), and I like it there, and this board seems great too! I have a question about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We will be there with our girls DD4 & DD2 and 1 or 2 sets of grandparents. We were thinking of leaving the kiddos with the grandparents and going to this ourselves (I don't think they could make it). Is it worth it? Since it will be in December, it could be very cold at that time (I do not like the cold), and I was also wondering how crouded it gets. What special things do you see / do the charactors do?

TIA!!!!

PS - Are the sitdown restaurants open that late too, or not?
    Absolutely do the Christmas Party, it is wonderful. Don't leave the kids out they will love it. If you go without them, you will feel very guilty once you are there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast