Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Gainesville, Florida

Okay, I gotta ask--does anyone here on these boards (and if I've posted this in the wrong place, please dear mods, feel free to move the thread) live, work or play in Gainesville area?

I ask because I've noticed two teaching positions have opened up in the immediate county that I would be perfect for. One is for hearing impairments; several are for middle school language arts.

I can only look at a map and know that it's about a fortyfive minute to an hour drive to Walt Disney World. Does anyone here on these boards commute? Could my husband work there whilst I teach?

And what is Gainesville like?

The more information, the better-good or bad.

Figured I'd ask those in the know and that I trust first.

Thanks ahead of time!

Peace,
    Roo

PS: If I did move there, you know I'd be at every single freegin meet possible. Heck, I'd start a few of my own in different locations every time!
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Re: Gainesville, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    Okay, I gotta ask--does anyone here on these boards (and if I've posted this in the wrong place, please dear mods, feel free to move the thread) live, work or play in Gainesville area?

I ask because I've noticed two teaching positions have opened up in the immediate county that I would be perfect for. One is for hearing impairments; several are for middle school language arts.

I can only look at a map and know that it's about a fortyfive minute to an hour drive to Walt Disney World. Does anyone here on these boards commute? Could my husband work there whilst I teach?

And what is Gainesville like?

The more information, the better-good or bad.

I don't know what map you are looking at but it must be the way the crows

Figured I'd ask those in the know and that I trust first.

Thanks ahead of time!

Peace,
    Roo

PS: If I did move there, you know I'd be at every single freegin meet possible. Heck, I'd start a few of my own in different locations every time!
    Don't knolw what map you are looking at but must be the way the crows fly to get from Orlando to Gainesville in 45 minutes.

Gainesville is about 115 miles from Disney a little over a 2 hour drive without traffic. You cannot live in Orlando and drive to Gainesville every day it would be insane.

Gainesville is a huge college town....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Don't knolw what map you are looking at but must be the way the crows fly to get from Orlando to Gainesville in 45 minutes.

Gainesville is about 115 miles from Disney a little over a 2 hour drive without traffic. You cannot live in Orlando and drive to Gainesville every day it would be insane.

Gainesville is a huge college town....
    Gotcha, okay I must have been researching to Orlando, not WDW. My mistake. Thanks actually, good to know. Still two hours is closer then two days...the distance I'm at now.

What do you think of Gainesville? Poopieheadcity, filled with thin college co-eds? Or avant-garde ex-hippie professors like Boulder, Colorado?

Thanks, btw, again,
    Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Your going to have a large combination of both. Unless I was going to school there it would not be my first choice to live. Have you researched teaching positions in Orlando? You may want to look under individual counties i.e.: Orange County, Lake, Polk, Osceola, Seminole all of these would keep you in the Disney area...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yes Gainesville is a huge college town as that's where the University of Florida is. I've only been there once (and that was to visit a friend of mine who was attending UF at the time). Loads of college kids during the school year.

Blog Entries

Gainesville is full of gator fans. That's enough of a reason to stay away to me.

Don't get upset, but there are a lot of Gator fans in Orlando.....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Cute, I didn't realize the rivalry, but I grew up here in Colorado with Nebraska and CU at each other's throats. But I can change pretty quick.

I picked Gainesville for the Deaf Ed position. I'll look again at Orlando, but there didn't see any positions that worked for me. Sure, there were language arts-middle school positions, but I'm not too sure about that. Everyone applies for those positions.

As for Deaf Ed, there's a slighter applicant pool. My odds would be better.

Keep the information coming!

And thanks,
    Peace,
    Roo

They have a license plate that says, "Family Divided" with the Gators on one side and Seminoles on the other.

^^I saw that frame on a car in front of me last week.

I grew up in Michigan, so I dealt with the Michigan/Michigan State rivalry all the time (I was the only UofM fan... everyone else in my family liked the frickin' Spartans). Down here I don't care for either UF nor FSU but I respect the rivalry. I know a few people who went to UF and my boss went to FSU so I'm around it constantly.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Gainesville is full of gator fans. That's enough of a reason to stay away to me.

Just sayin

But on the topic of the actual thread, I can't really speak much on normal life in Gainesville. I've spent a fair amount of time there, but it was all weekends spent visiting college buddies at UF. They're all graduated now though so it's been a while.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

There is really no way you could commute from Gainsville to Orlando everyday. I know people in California do that, but this is Florida! lol

But i would be very leary of any teaching job, as much schools seem to be cutting back all of their staff, and tell everyone in June who's contracts are going to be renewed.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I would be VERY leery of any teaching jobs in Gainesville right now....

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/5/6/345902.html

Due to the wonderful world of budget cuts, UF handing pink slips to 138 teachers and is cutting enrollment by 4000 students.

• Happy Memories

That problem is not exclusive to Gainesville aimster. It's pretty much happening across the state. It's a scary time to work in education.

I know, but I just saw this today and thought I'd post it in this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast