Blog Entries

What is the difference between these two tours?

I'm interested in doing one of the dive experiences in the seas. I currently don't have my diving certification but I would be willing to get it to do the tour that requires it if its a much better experience. So what are the real differences between these two tours?

The Seas Aqua Tour:
    Grab your swimsuit and prepare to get wet. Immerse yourself in an awesome "behind-the-seas" adventure exploring The Seas with Nemo & Friends aquarium. Then plunge into the water for a close-up look at the amazing abundance and diversity of the more than 65 species of marine life in this unique coral reef environment.

Duration: 2 1/2 hours with the in-water experience lasting 30 minutes
    Cost: $115 per person

Admission includes all gear, refreshments, a T-shirt, and a group photo.

You do not need any special certifications to participate in this program.

and

Epcot Dive Quest:
    Prepare for a totally unique diving experience! The Seas with Nemo & Friends features a 6-million-gallon indoor aquarium with more than 65 species of marine life, including sharks, huge sea turtles, playful eagle rays and schools of colorful tropical fish. With guaranteed calm seas, no current and unlimited visibility, your quest for the dive of a lifetime ends here.

Duration: 3 hours with the in-water experience lasting 40 minutes.
    Cost: $150 per guest (includes all gear and a limited-edition T-shirt)

Guests ages 10 and up are welcome to participate and must have a SCUBA certification.

All required equipment is provided, including mask, fins, tank, buoyancy compensator, regulator, weightbelt and a 2.5mm shorty wetsuit. (You may bring your own mask, if preferred.)

---

From reading the descriptions I can tell that the second is a more in depth dive apparently. Does the first one just have you swimming or do they actually take you under the water to get down with the fish? I guess I just need to know what exactly the differences are between these two tours.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: What is the difference between these two tours?

One is Snorkeling and one is Scuba Diving
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Also, you HAVE to be a certified diver to participate in Dive Quest. You don't need any type of certification for the aqua tour.
    -Tim

• Disneyholic

Big difference is one is a Scuba tour where the other is a snorkeling tour for non certified divers. SCUBA allows you to examine interesting things and explore more without having to surface to breathe and for the small price difference I would go that route. If your new to diving I think this would be a nice experience since you can view the reef, fish and other exhibits without the open water currents. A lot of divers pass their open water and advanced open water in quarries up this way and I remember the first real open water dive was much much different, having to fight the strong ocean currents in the Caribbean. This will be much much less vigorous.

If you do get certified do it properly, I recommend the PADI Open water course, it includes classroom, pool and check out dives. Learn your tables backwards and forwards, (although a doubt you'll go below 30 feet so you won't need them in the Seas tank) and be get comfortable so you can relax and enjoy the tour. If it's anything like diving at the National Aquarium in Baltimore even though the tanks are huge, there are areas that are very close quarters and that causes some folks to freak out, I've done wreck and cave diving so it didn't bother me but apparently it happens esp with the clear acrylic tanks can disorient new divers. Just remember look up and inflate our BCU hand over head and breathe out slowly, you'll be fine. The tanks are so shallow one or two good kicks and your at the surface.

So give it a try and let us know how it goes and remember to plan the tour towards the beginning of your trip if your flying home, even though its not very deep you don't want to risk a mild case of the bends on the flight home. Been there done that, basically it was just sharp joint pain that went away when we landed but not something I would want to happen to you. (had to get that one more dive in... then flew the next day never again!)
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: What is the difference between these two tours?

Well, it's not technically snorkeling on the Aqua Seas tour, because one breathes through a regulator attached to a tank of air. Here is a description from a review on another site.

Each of us signed a release form, and we learned how to put on and take off the aqua tank which would contain our air for the 30 minutes we were inside the tank. Our "outfit" would keep us at the water's surface and it would be nearly impossible to go below.

I have seen Snuba experiences in tropical areas where people breathe through regulators attached to a separate floating tank, and this sounds similar, except that the description above indicates each person has their own air supply. Without weights, it's extremely difficult to go below the surface in a wetsuit. I have done DiveQuest, and it was possibly my favorite thing on that trip (and I have a difficult time using words like best and favorite).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

First one has you in waist high water, you do not actually swim at all. The second requires you to be certified and you actually get to swim in the main tank.

Blog Entries

I don't think that's correct. Everything I've read everywhere else states differently unless they just recently changed it. You're in the actual tank you just can't dive, you're swimming more on top of the water otherwise there would be no need for the air regulators, etc...

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I don't think that's correct. Everything I've read everywhere else states differently unless they just recently changed it. You're in the actual tank you just can't dive, you're swimming more on top of the water otherwise there would be no need for the air regulators, etc...
    Hope this helps:

Dive Quest

Theme Park admission is neither required nor included for this event. $150.

Guests ages 10 and up are welcome to participate and must have a SCUBA certification.

Guests between 10 and 12 must to be accompanied by a paying participating parent or legal guardian. Younger guests will need Jr. SCUBA certifications.

All required equipment is provided, including mask, fins, tank, buoyancy compensator, regulator, weightbelt and a 2.5mm shorty wetsuit. (You may bring your own mask, if preferred.)
    • Dolphins in Depth
    • Theme Park admission is neither required nor included for this event. $150.00

• Admission includes a photograph with the dolphin, refreshments, and a T-shirt.

Expectant mothers are strongly discouraged from participating.

This encounter is in waist-deep water. No swimming or SCUBA diving is required.

No cameras are permitted during this program.
    • It is the dolphin's choice to participate in the research sessions as well as the interactions.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: What is the difference between these two tours?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Hope this helps:

Dive Quest

Theme Park admission is neither required nor included for this event. $150.

Guests between 10 and 12 must to be accompanied by a paying participating parent or legal guardian. Younger guests will need Jr. SCUBA certifications.

• Dolphins in Depth
    • Theme Park admission is neither required nor included for this event. $150.00

• Admission includes a photograph with the dolphin, refreshments, and a T-shirt.

Expectant mothers are strongly discouraged from participating.

This encounter is in waist-deep water. No swimming or SCUBA diving is required.

No cameras are permitted during this program.
    • It is the dolphin's choice to participate in the research sessions as well as the interactions.
    The question was regarding the difference between Dive Quest and the Epcot Seas Aqua tour. The Dolphins in Depth Tour is something completely different.

Descriptions and reviews of all WDW tours can be found here:
    http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!