• back to WDW in January

'Face Off' in the Parks

It was recently announced that the newest face character, Prince Caspian, would be making appearances at Disney Hollywood Studios in time for the release of the new 'Chronicles of Narnia' film. He is just the latest in a growing trend of non-costumed characters that Disney is introducing into it's parks. Soon we will be seeing face character Fairies led by the perky, not-so-little-as-a-face-character, Tinkerbell. And it seems that the ever popular Capt. Jack Sparrow has opened the door for an upcoming show led by none other than Indiana Jones himself
    Even some of the previously masked characters, such as Mr. Smee and Toy Story's Green Army Men have been spotted unmasked and simply made-up.

So the questions of the day are ...

=> Is this something you want to see more of throughout the parks?
    => Would you prefer to see more costumed characters as well or perhaps, instead?
    => Do you feel that inaccurate representations of these face characters (those that really don't look much like the originals) are less appealing and spoil the illusion?

... or do you simply have your own additional thoughts regarding this subject.
    Whadaya think?
    Last edited by tjcjr; 05-13-2008 at 10:39 AM.

• keep moving forward...

Re: 'Face Off' in the Parks

Its great how they are finding a way to get the face characters into the parks more, if the character is more human like then cartoon, go for it. I do wonder what Mr. Smee would look like as a face character though.

• Shubisha

^Watch fantasmic, one man's dream 2, and dream along with mickey

Face characters are great and make the interactive experience all the better for families and kids. Atmosphere characters who can't talk do a great job of miming things and making the charades game easy on people but it's nothing like Alice being able to ask a kid how do they do.

There's really nothing trendy about this either, every princess and prince comes out as a face character and for a while those are the only sort of movies Disney was making. Ariel, Aladdin, Jasmine, Belle, Pocahontas, Esmerelda, Clopin, Tarzan, and Mulan all got introduced from movies in relative succession to each other. True there have been a few new face characters lately but let's not forget they've come out with Wilbur and Robinson, Bowler Hat Guy, Remy, Emile, and lots of new playhouse disney characters too.

• Minion

ORDDU: I'm just DYING to meet Prince Caspian--or any OTHER prince, for that matter. But since Caspian is the newest Disney Prince, his premier appearance at a Disney park is something worth crowing about!

ORGOCH: Well, yer the dirty bird who oughtta know, ya old crow!!

• I'm A

I think face characters add a much deeper level of interaction compared to costumed characters.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Disappearing/Reappearing

hmmm...I can't see Mr Smee and the green men as face characters. Mr Smee had a very specific face....and the little green men...well, they had no facial expressions. Now, Indy.....yeah, I could dig Indy.

• keep moving forward...

Exactly, part of Mr. Smees charm was how unique and somewhat silly the character looked, I am not sure if a face character could pull that off quite right.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    Exactly, part of Mr. Smees charm was how unique and somewhat silly the character looked, I am not sure if a face character could pull that off quite right.
    As almandot suggested, you should check out Dream Along With Mickey as he is a face character there. (I've added a video, he appears around 10:03.)

As for me, I'm always interested in more characters being added. It's nice to see more variety, regardless of how they are introduced. We've seen this before with the Disney Afternoon characters and more recently with Disney Channel/Jetix characters such as Kim Possible and Power Rangers

• keep moving forward...

You guys were right, a Mr.smee face character really can be done, and done well.

• Shubisha

and in one man's dream 2 he has the same costume but without those ridiculous bearclaw gloves :P

fantasmic is a whole nother getup entirely.

• back to WDW in January

Costumed Mickey will always be Mickey, his appearance hasn't really changed much since the 80's - aside from the mouth moving thing recently introduced that is - and subtle changes to costumed characters seem to be a bit more acceptable.
    Adding hair to a man's face for example can help to maintain more of the illusion, however just putting a blue dress and a blond wig on a face character does not automatically make them Alice.
    Face characters have much more of a challenge when it comes to authenticity. And it seems that Disneyland is alot more "picky" in chooosing face characters who most closely resemble the animated or real ones than they do at Walt Disney World. Some of the face characters I have seen out and about give me cause to honestly ask myself "what were they thinking?". Sometimes if you try too hard to make a face character look as authentic as possible with just a few props and a dash of makeup, it comes off as being even less appealing.
    It also can be a bit confusing for the kids. If you see Pooh at a character breakfast, he will be the same Pooh you see in the afternoon parade. But if you see Cinderella at the castle for breakfast it is a safe bet she won't be the same Cinderella you see at the Judges Tent later on. If the differences are small, so be it, no one really cares but if the differences are drastic, even the kids will take exception.
    I agree that it's great they are introducing more of the face characters but I can honestly say I cringe on occasion at some of their casting choices.
    (ps - I didn't mean to single out the Princesses but having daughters, they are the characters that always seem to get our undivided attention)
    Last edited by tjcjr; 05-15-2008 at 09:21 AM.

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    Its great how they are finding a way to get the face characters into the parks more, if the character is more human like then cartoon, go for it. I do wonder what Mr. Smee would look like as a face character though.
    I agree that a face character imitating a human character is much easier to replicate, and more successful in creating the illusion, than one who is made-up to look like a cartoon character.

• It's...a...dinglehopper!

It's tough to decide! With really over-the-top silly looking characters (Like Smee), I don't think a face character could do him justice. I mean, have you SEEN his nose?

But face characters are best unless the character is way too cartoonish, or if he or she's an animal. Face characters seem more real and make it more magical than a mask. But you have to get face characters dead on.

• Don't Panic

I think its great when the characters can actually interact with you on a deeper level than just gesturing and waving, and there are some kids out there who would be much more likely to approach a face character than one wearing a mask (and I know a few teenagers who would do exactly the same thing) There's an odd (though, understandable) phobia of masks.

Some characters, however, I think it would be very difficult to pull off realistically. Smee may work, but, for some reason, Captain Hook jumps to mind as one who wouldn't work as well, even though its been tried.

Still, I think the more face characters out there that actually work can only improve things.

Not to mention it has to be much more comfortable for the CMs
    ------

------