Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Exclamation Space Mountain Refurb Update

ok....on the topic of the space mountain refurbishment, many of you loyal MCer's have been wondering when and what will be happening. Here is what I know based on the last few weeks of talking to the Test and Adjust crew, Imagineers, and the structural engineers. Keep in mind thes are not absolutely in stone, but this is what is in store as of now.

The queue will be the same, but updated with new projections and interactive games (think Soarin' but cooler).

The entire track will be replaced with new higher guaged steel, but the layout WILL NOT change - this includes new brakes and conveyors of course, and new main lift chain.

Digital projections will be placed in the ride area (there are already a few currently in place) with some new effects.

The load area will be enclosed so you cannot see the ride area, but there will be star effects on the new load ceiling.

New rocket trains with audio soundtrack will make an appearance (they will still be single seaters like the current ones).

Quick reset conveyors to help make downtimes less time consuming.

Slight re-themeing of the unload area to make you feel like you truly just pulled into a space port.
    The post show area is still up for debate - it may change or stay the same....no news yet.

This is what i know for now and i will keep y'all updated the best i can.

Also, the refurb is still scheduled for january 2009 and may even get moved up to november 2008 depending on attendance and such....more to come...
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Re: Space Mountain Refurb Update

Thanks for the update, although having the exact same track layout is Disney once again taking the lazy way out.

I doubt very much they'll move up the close date from the one I've been hearing for months (1/2/09) though. They don't want to deal with all the freebies they'll be handing out at City Hall if it is down the busiest week of the year.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Thanks for the update, although having the exact same track layout is Disney once again taking the lazy way out.

I doubt very much they'll move up the close date from the one I've been hearing for months (1/2/09) though. They don't want to deal with all the freebies they'll be handing out at City Hall if it is down the busiest week of the year.
    yeah....a new track would have been nice, but remember this isnt slated yet...i was just told to expect these things to happen.

i also expect the refurb around 1/2/09 for the exact same reason....guest relations would be swamped
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

It isn't very reasonable to expect a new layout. That would make it a completely different ride.

• Banned User

OYE I hope they do not move it up to Novmeber!! Have you heard of any other refurbs in November?? How does one find these things out?

• World Traveler

Thanks for the update. This ride REALLY needs to be brought up to Disneyland's version.

• back to WDW in January

What is wrong with the original ride track layout? That is part of what made SM unique. I am sure it needs to be updated but does it really need to be redesigned?

Blog Entries

I wouldn't want the track to be updated. I want this to remain a nice family friendly coaster just with a smoother track, up to date effects, and a better load zone. I really really hope the post show gets a good update. I miss the old old RYCA1 Family of Tomorrow that used to be there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I have heard pretty much the same information.

Personally the sooner this can happen the better! I would like to see this done as quickly as possible so we can just get it over with!

But YAY to a super dark Space Mountain!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    What is wrong with the original ride track layout? That is part of what made SM unique. I am sure it needs to be updated but does it really need to be redesigned?
    Theres nothing wrong with the layout its just that theres so much space in that building thats being unused. At Disneyland the ride takes up the whole building but at Magic Kingdom it only takes up a a small portion of it and they could easily expand it into 2 tracks or one large track.

Cool...We are going in October, so can still ride the old one before it gets changed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tracestar View Post
    Cool...We are going in October, so can still ride the old one before it gets changed.
    why would you want to? Its so dusty and rickety that its literally at the point of breaking apart. I was actually alittle concerned last time I rode it a few months back.

• Circle of Ancients

I disagree with it being the lazy way.

Them duplicating the CA/HK model would have been the lazy way. I personally LOVE the layout of the WDW ride. It is unique and exciting. With a new track and new trains, it will be smooth. Add in the new effects and sound and it will be the top SM in the US.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    OYE I hope they do not move it up to Novmeber!! Have you heard of any other refurbs in November?? How does one find these things out?
    If you go to the Walt Disney World Site and click the tiny button labeled 'calendar', at the bottom they list the expected ride closures for each month. You have to keep checking back for updates. Hope this answers your question. Hope your WDW trip in November is absolutely magical!

The WDW version may have been exciting and cutting edge back in 1975, but now it's just rather rough and lame.

It is the 21st century and Disney isn't a museum. So much could be done in a building of that size (either two new track layouts or one much longer version). I wouldn't want DL's version here anymore than I want a simple retracking of the '75 version.

This is a very tired old attraction, which is laughable since it is located in TOMORROWland.

So many different things can be done ... it's rather predictable that Disney is opting to do as little as possible.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast