Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disney vs. Universal head to head competition

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I'd have to say ET. The queue is hands down one of the best queues I've ever been in, even to this day. There are only two drawbacks to this ride, the static mannequin cops and the weird ending with ET's weird friends. However, ET still beats Pan because I can actually ride it, I have never seen Pan without a 60 minute wait at least. Sorry, I'm not waiting 60 minutes for that kind of ride.
    I would have to say Peter Pan but E.T. is close. I wish would make bigger ships that fit more people.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudley Doo Rights Ripsaw Falls

Both are very good attractions, but Splash gets it for me, it's just much more complete looking...Ripsaw Falls is definitely a take on the same type of ride, even featuring many similar elements

2. Philharmagic vs. Shrek 4D

I don't see why people hate Shrek 4D so much, most people I know think its fun...having said that, Philharmagic wins slightly...one of the best Disney shows as of late, instant classic

3. Buzz Light Year (or Toy Story Mania) vs. Men In Black

I HAVE been on all 3 of them. MIB destroys Buzz, no doubt about it...everything is superior. TSM is fun but it's very different than MIB, so I'll have to call a tie on that one.

4. Star Tours vs. The Simpson's Ride

I liked BTTF more than Star Tours, I haven't seen the Simpsons yet though

5. Indiana Jones Stunt Show vs. Sinbad's 8th Voyage

I enjoy both. Indy wins only because of the familiar characters...the set of Sinbad is incredible to look at though!

6. Space Moutain vs. The Mummy

Odd comparison...in its current state, The Mummy wins. Space Mountain is getting very painful, especially in the back.

7. Dinosaur vs. Spiderman

Not even a contest, it's Spiderman by miles

8. Winnie the Pooh vs. Cat in the Hat

Cat in the Hat...thrilling for kids and adults.

9. Lights Motors Action vs. Fear Factor Live

Lights Motors Action by far. FFL is ok, but really the old Wild West show was much better.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Jurrassic Park

Very odd comparison, I can't even say which I like better, two completely different experiences.

11. Peter Pan vs. E.T.

Very tough. Peter Pan has the classic appeal, but it's still a short ride. E.T., even today is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece of a ride that's sadly overlooked these days. I'll have to go with E.T.

What about Catastrophe Canyon vs. Earthquake(Disaster)?

*just a side note that I am a chicken when it comes to roller coasters, big drops, motion simulators, etc. lol

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudley Doo Rights Ripsaw Falls
    I have only been on splash and that was only once because I was talked into it.

Philharmagic hands down, I have to go to it everytime that I am at MK, you can't help but sing along and frankly I dont like all the bumpiness and jerking around on shrek, i came out of there sore one time.

I like all 3 but MIB over buzz and TSM over MIB

havent been and probably wont go on simpsons, and I only go on star tours if whoever im with wants to

both are ok, but I guess I'd choose Sinbad

to chicken to go on mummy, been on space but I dont like it,I choose thunder mt. lol, that is my fav ride.

I can go on dinosaur w/out worrying about getting sick, but spiderman feels more real

both are cute, but I choose pooh

9. Lights Motors Action vs. Fear Factor Live
    havent seen fear factor but i loved LMA

potc, i love the little drop, jurassic was dull and boring, granted i thought i was going to die on the drop and will prob never go on it again

11. Peter Pan vs. E.T.
    I like both, ET def. has the better que not to mention its indoors in the AC

Overall Disney vs. Universal, Disney hands down. The "show" is better, things dont look run down, the cast members are more attentive, its just better all around, and there are more varieties of rides and attractions, there are things for everybody.

• Progressive Disneylander

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudley Doo Right's Ripsaw Falls - TIE
    3. Buzz Light Year (or Toy Story Mania) vs. Men In Black - TIE
    6. Space Moutain vs. The Mummy - TIE
    9. Lights Action Motors vs. Fear Factor Live

I would have never thought that Universal would have came out ahead in my tally.

Without having recently gone on them with the thought in mind of which ride is better, I cannot break the three ties that I have.

I think Dudley Doo Right is a funner ride than Splash Mountain, but Splash Mountain is much better themeatically inside. And I have a lot of sentimental feelings tied to Space Mountain that I don't have towards the probably better Mummy ride -- but sentiment is a factor nonetheless. And Buzz and MIB are pretty similar. I think I like Buzz's inside a little better, but I love being able to compete against another group of people. Tough decisions!

The thing about Disney's attractions is that many of them have a way of touching your heart. Most of Universals attractions do not affect me like that -- not even Spiderman (even though it's probably the best ride anywhere). I would put Pirates and The Haunted Mansion above everything else because of what I get out of them emotionally. All of the thrills and chills a ride may have cannot top that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudlye Doo Righs Ripsaw Falls
    By default. I haven't ridden on Ripsaw Falls. But it LOOKS cool!

HATE SHREK

Haven't been on Toy Story Mania yet but Men in Black Alien Attack has a fantastic queue and a great big ride. There's nothing about it that looks cheap

The first motion simulator ride is still the best if I had to choose because we're flying through space! It's something I've always wanted to do, especially in the star wars universe.

Have not done Sinbad

If we're talking Disneyland Space Mtn vs Hollywood Mummy, Space WINS. If we're talking orlando vs orlando, MUMMY RETURNS WINS.

SPIDER-MAN ALL THE WAY!!!!

Florida's Pooh ride is cute and Cat in the Hat is well done but I think it was a lot of space wasted where it was just empty.

haven't seen either but if i had to choose which i'd rather do, it'd be lights motor action

Orlando vs Orlando, it goes to Jurassic Park. Anaheim vs both Jurassic Parks would go to PIRATES.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudley Doo Right's Ripsaw Falls - TIE
    3. Buzz Light Year (or Toy Story Mania) vs. Men In Black - TIE
    6. Space Moutain vs. The Mummy - TIE

I would have never thought that Universal would have came out ahead in my tally.

Without having recently gone on them with the thought in mind of which ride is better, I cannot break the three ties that I have.

I think Dudley Doo Right is a funner ride than Splash Mountain, but Splash Mountain is much better themeatically inside. And I have a lot of sentimental feelings tied to Space Mountain that I don't have towards the probably better Mummy ride -- but sentiment is a factor nonetheless. And Buzz and MIB are pretty similar. I think I like Buzz's inside a little better, but I love being able to compete against another group of people. Tough decisions!

The thing about Disney's attractions is that many of them have a way of touching your heart. Most of Universals attractions do not affect me like that -- not even Spiderman (even though it's probably the best ride anywhere). I would put Pirates and The Haunted Mansion above everything else because of what I get out of them emotionally. All of the thrills and chills a ride may have cannot top that.
    Awesome explaination! I think you really conveyed your point!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I love hearing everyone's input into what makes an attraction good and great! This is a lot of fun!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I would put Pirates and The Haunted Mansion above everything else because of what I get out of them emotionally. All of the thrills and chills a ride may have cannot top that.
    I completely agree. Universal is just a glorified amusement park (with better rides than most amusement parks).

Blog Entries

I don't necessarily agree with that. The rides that were at Universal when I was a kid still have a great big hold on my heart. The problem is that Universal has killed off most of them. ET and Jaws still make me so very happy. Kong used to be the same way. Its the sentimentality attached to them that do that. The new rides don't do that to me, but I think that's because I'm experiencing them now as an adult and nothing will grab me at 30 like it did at 9.

I think that's why you feel that way vs Disney. There's still a ton of old great attractions that nostalgia at times makes better than they really are. In my mind there wasn't much better than "If You Had Wings". In my mind that and Mission to Mars were two of the best attractions ever. The fact is, my mind has glorified them far beyond what they really are. If they were still here today I'd still feel they were great because of the memories I have attached to them. If I were to ride them fresh today I'd just laugh.

I don't necessarily agree with that. The rides that were at Universal when I was a kid still have a great big hold on my heart. The problem is that Universal has killed off most of them. ET and Jaws still make me so very happy. Kong used to be the same way. Its the sentimentality attached to them that do that. The new rides don't do that to me, but I think that's because I'm experiencing them now as an adult and nothing will grab me at 30 like it did at 9.

I think that's why you feel that way vs Disney. There's still a ton of old great attractions that nostalgia at times makes better than they really are. In my mind there wasn't much better than "If You Had Wings". In my mind that and Mission to Mars were two of the best attractions ever. The fact is, my mind has glorified them far beyond what they really are. If they were still here today I'd still feel they were great because of the memories I have attached to them. If I were to ride them fresh today I'd just laugh.
    I grew up with Universal, well, from age 11 on at least and I do feel sentimental about rides there also.

I will say I am a big Universal fan and supporter and I am glad that nearly everyone so far seems to be able to compare fairly...that doesn't happen on some other boards I visit.

I could sit here and say that if Universal had opened at the same time as MK with the rides it had, some people might feel more sentimental, but I don't think so. The reason why, is that Universal has always been more extreme, more cutting edge. That's why some attractions have not lasted very long, compared to Disney "classics". On the whole, Disney is better at, or at least has more attractions that can stand the test of time.

I think however that's not a bad thing, it can keep renewing itself and be "fresh" to people while keeping on top of the latest trends. Although Disney is attempting to do the same with DHS now, Universal is still IMO, better at it.

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudlye Doo Righs Ripsaw Falls

Two wonderful rides, but Splash Mountain has better theming and is my favorite attraction ever.

Philharmagic is the best 3D theme park show, IMO.

Men in Black has actual stuff going on, it's not just cutouts.

I haven't gotten to go on Simpsons, but I can only assume it's better than what I consider to be the worst ride at any of the Disney parks...

Haven't seen Sinbad...

Weird comparison...I'm gonna say The Mummy for now, but Space Mountain is a true classic and might jump ahead again after its DESPERATELY needed refurb.

7. Dinosaur vs. Spider-Man

Two FANTASTIC rides, but Spider-Man (who's name people can never, ever spell right for some reason) is the more unique experience.

Eh...pass on both...

Not a big stunt show fan, but really enjoyed LAM.

Two great attractions...but totally different! Pirates of the Carribean is better themed, I guess, but JP has one of the most terrifying conclusions to any ride EVER. That T-Rex, and that drop! I felt like I was gonna die!

• Banned User

1. Splash Mountain vs. Dudlye Doo Righs Ripsaw Falls. Splash. No contest.

2. Philharmagic vs. Shrek 4D. PhilharMagic rules in my book. I liked Shrek, but Philharmagic is the ultimate 3D movie.

3. Buzz Light Year (or Toy Story Mania) vs. Men In Black. MIB.

4. Star Tours vs. The Simpson's Ride. Haven't done Simpsons yet. I love Star Tours, though.

5. Indiana Jones Stunt Show vs. Sinbad's 8th Voyage. Haven't seen Sinbad.

6. Space Moutain vs. The Mummy. Space Mountain, but I love the Mummy.

7. Dinosaur vs. Spiderman. Spiderman, but this is a close one. Dinosaur is one of my favorite WDW rides.

8. Winnie the Pooh vs. Cat in the Hat. I'll go with the Pooh (WDW version), but Cat is a solid dark ride, too.

9. Lights Action Motors vs. Fear Factor Live. Lights, Action.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Jurrassic Park. Pirates. The only part I realy like about JP is the T-Rex and the drop at the end.

• Banned User

If we're talking Disneyland Space Mtn vs Hollywood Mummy, Space WINS. If we're talking orlando vs orlando, MUMMY RETURNS WINS.
    Last week, I finally got a chance to ride DL's new version of Space Mountain (my first trip to DLR in ten years, so it's new to me) and here is my honest opinion: I prefer WDW's Space Mountain. I know that will sound totally outrageous to some, but we did DLR's Space Mountain 3-4 times, and it just didn't give me the same thrill. Don't get me wrong; it is a very good ride, and I love the jazzed up visuals and music, the countdown, etc. But the ride track itself felt a little too smooth, and kind of mild. I guess I like my coasters a little bit rough, because WDW's SM gave me a thrill and made me scream every time. Go ahead and savage me for this little bit of sacrilege, I don't care. I was all ready to love DL's SM, and I only liked it instead.

Incidentally, I agree with everyone that DLR's version of Pirates is considerably better than WDW's. Just so people won't think I have a prejudice in favor of WDW versions (unlike some DLR-centric obsessives on this site --no, Coheteboy, I don't mean you).

• Banned User

I'd have to say ET. The queue is hands down one of the best queues I've ever been in, even to this day. There are only two drawbacks to this ride, the static mannequin cops and the weird ending with ET's weird friends. However, ET still beats Pan because I can actually ride it, I have never seen Pan without a 60 minute wait at least. Sorry, I'm not waiting 60 minutes for that kind of ride.
    KC, you are aware that you can get a fast pass for Fantasyland rides in WDW? Pan usually has the longest wait, but you can get in pretty quickly with a fast pass. It really is a shame you haven't done this charming ride, I highly recommend it next time you go to WDW (we skipped it at DLR due to the wait times. No fast pass, sadly).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Last week, I finally got a chance to ride DL's new version of Space Mountain (my first trip to DLR in ten years, so it's new to me) and here is my honest opinion: I prefer WDW's Space Mountain. I know that will sound totally outrageous to some, but we did DLR's Space Mountain 3-4 times, and it just didn't give me the same thrill. Don't get me wrong; it is a very good ride, and I love the jazzed up visuals and music, the countdown, etc. But the ride track itself felt a little too smooth, and kind of mild. I guess I like my coasters a little bit rough, because WDW's SM gave me a thrill and made me scream every time. Go ahead and savage me for this little bit of sacrilege, I don't care. I was all ready to love DL's SM, and I only liked it instead.

Incidentally, I agree with everyone that DLR's version of Pirates is considerably better than WDW's. Just so people won't think I have a prejudice in favor of WDW versions (unlike some DLR-centric obsessives on this site --no, Coheteboy, I don't mean you).

Haha, understood. To me, I get the WDW space mountain thrill from the Matterhorn and that tame smoothness of DL's space is something I don't find in WDW aside from Big Thunder. (i don't count test track because it's not a 'coaster')

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast