Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs down All Star fiasco.

After a few years of not visiting the All-Star resorts at WDW, I took a quick walk on that property, just for the heck of it. Of course, I avoid going into the WDW hotels anymore simply because I detest having to stop at those security check points and explain myself why I am visiting.
    Today, it was no exception.. and worst since I had to put up with some nasty looking hispanic female security guard who looked into my car, me and my companion as if we were two pervs going in to do no good, but yet... real pervs may be riding the WDW bus into the All-Star property while she wasted time with us.. WDW's truest fans.
    What a waste of company resources... but whatever.

Anyways... it was a lovely day here and G-Fan and I just wanted to take a long walk in pleasant surroundings and enjoy the weather and cool breezes of the late afternoon.

Bad idea. I have to admit that I have never been in love with the idea of economy lodges on property, but can understand why the company did it in the first place. However... with the idea of offering economy rooms, it seems to me the idea of not having to offer Disney quality to those guests seem to be the norm as well.

As I walked thru the property.... I could not help but notice how bad those colorful icons and buildings have become. Many of the buildings are in major need of paint and upkeep, and in some instances, some of the giant icons need major preasure washing to clean them up. Add to that the badly kept grounds. There lovely manicured lawns once laid, now, not so lovely manicured lawns still sit. Many dead spots and weeds destroy the look of the gardens and there were hardly any flowers to make the property a bit more colorful to compensate for the fading colors on the buildings. Night fell and things got worst as many light fixtures on the buildings do not seem to be as bright or work at all. For example, the changing lights around the jazz player fixture in the Music building...they are so faint at night... they should be replaced altogether.

While the hotel still deliver the "magic" to those who feel they are getting a bargain here (and that's what matters to most folks staying here)...the fact is IMHO... is low Disney quality that has room for improvement. I mean.. do we have to see horrible looking maintenance cranes sitting in the parking lot behind equally horrible temporary walls? Personally, If I was asssigned one of those room.. I would request a change of view right away. Where is the magic in overlooking a temporary wall and cranes nearby?

A walk thru the lobbies, gift shops, and food courts... is simply disheartening. The look of the lobbies is bland bland bland. The food courts are as ordinary as your average mall in a bad part of town. The gift shops? well.. to me it felt like taking a walk in ROSS' dept store. Simply below quality in look and on the shelves.

The absolutely worst part of it all? How guests use the balcony banisters as clothing lines. I saw so much laundry hanging on the balconies outside rooms that it gave me a revolting feeling of disgust. Guests (and Disney management is just as guilty for allowing this) are turning the All-Stars Resorts into a bonafide ghetto for doing this. Is there any class anymore?

Now many would argue... "oh, it's only $79 a night" or even cheaper for those APers... but darn it! THIS IS DISNEY and Disney had an obligation to deliver quality that exceeds expectations, and that mission should be apparent at any level of service... even for the people who go cheap when they stay here at the All stars (or even the Pop Century resort).
    This "economy" standard of show and quality at this particular resort is simply UNEXCUSABLE.

If I were you.. I'd pay a bit more and skip this disgusting place like a plague until Disney fixes it to the standards the company so blatantly preaches they have.

BAD SHOW DISNEY!

• Mostly Harmless.

Re: All Star fiasco.

I cannot say that I disagree with you TDL (never saw the clothes on the railing when I stayed at Music in March), but I can say it was a helluva lot better than stay at some of the equally priced places off property that I have stayed before. The activities they have there are fun for the kids and it is a little simpler to get around the resorts even if the bus system is seriously lacking in the economy resorts. I can say that I will more than likely be laying my head at Port Orleans next time I spend more than a day there.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Closed Account

Im very sorry about your security experience darling. But i suppose, people like me are spolied cause all i have to do is show my ID and they let me in. But even BEFORE i got re-hired i would say 'were going to eat' or ' were going to walk around' and theyd let us in. It sounds this was an over zealous/fresh out of Traditions CM. And im not surprised at the state you describe the All Stars. After all, theyve been blowing all thier money on the Contemp and Poly redos, DVC, and even Grand Fla and Port Orleans room redos. So im not surprised to hear the 'Value' resorts have become MORE ghetto.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I haven't had too many issues with security guards - and I do MUCH prefer the Pop Century over the All Star Resorts (I think the grounds are kept up very well, and I love the atmosphere). In fact, I was over at the Pop yesterday for lunch, since I like their food court (and Chik-fi-La is closed on Sundays).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Can't get enough!

We stayed at All Star movies in 2003 and my husband will never stay at All Star again. He says if we can't afford to stay somewhere else then we aren't going. I didn't mind it (then again, I would probably sleep in my car if it means going to WDW!)

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I agree with most of what you said TDL, the guard people in particular. I once went to the Polynesian, we had reservations at O'hana but I wanted to walk around the resort and take photos. Well when I told him we had reservations, he goes, "It doesn't open for another hour" real snotty. I said, "I know that, I wanted to walk the resort and look around until our meal. He kinda rolled his eyes at me and gave me the pass.

I realize that people are going to be malicious and try and bend the rules to park there to go to MK, but do you have to treat EVERYONE like they have bad intentions?

• World Traveler

I know that there are benefits to staying on Disney property, but with the economy as it is and Disney's prices going ever higher, people will start opting for off site hotels. Maybe then, Disney will upgrade their value properties a bit.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Never seen any of these problems at Pop. Guess I'll continue to stay there!

I stayed at All Star Music May 4 - 11 and then moved to the Caribbean beach for 4 days. I was in the Rock Inn section so I saw some of the items you are talking about. Not only is the lawn brown in spots in the center courtyard of the Rock Inn it has become uneven and lumpy and it makes the motel look like an OLD time Florida attraction that has not been cared for. I did think some of the areas were still nice and my room was in fine shape and it wasn't as loud as I was expecting but when I moved to the Caribbean Beach there was this overall feeling of relief that came over me and it felt like I had moved to the Grand Floridian!!!!!!

Hmmm...this sounds very foreign to my experiences. We usually stay at POR or the the POP. We did recently stay at the All Star Sports and it was in great shape as it had been recently remodeled.

Sorry that you had a bad experience.

• Banned User

The All-Star Sports one in particular is the one that needs the most work in my opinion and G-Fan agreed..
    Just need to ask..do you work in Guest Relations? That was your first post ever up above and to me that means you are a CM who never gets to experience anything WDW has to offer it's guests from that level... therefore your feeling of "foreign"-ness to this problem, and your Guest Relations-ready "Sorry for your..." answer?

Anyways...
    But as many of you have mentioned... yes, the Pop is nicer... maybe because it's newer? But my only issue with the Pop Century is the unfinished section sitting across the bridge, which is ugly in it's present condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox
    I can say it was a helluva lot better than stay at some of the equally priced places off property that I have stayed before. The activities they have there are fun for the kids
    I disagree. There are quite a few off-property hotels that offer much more value in the type of accomodations for a much better price and better maintained facilities. Trust me on that as I do drive around and get to explore what's out there in town outside Disney. Now, if you are one of those who won't stay off Disney just because "it's not Disney" then that is your decision, but I must say this... since I do not have kids iin tow, I personally do not place "kids activities" high on my list NOR should that be an excuse for Disney to lack in their maintenance department in other aspects of the resort.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-26-2008 at 08:56 AM.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I disagree. There are quite a few off-property hotels that offer much more value in the type of accomodations for a much better price and better maintained facilities. Trust me on that as I do drive around and get to explore what's out there in town outside Disney. Now, if you are one of those who won't stay off Disney just because "it's not Disney" then that is your decision, but I must say this... since I do not have kids iin tow, I personally do not place "kids activities" high on my list NOR should that be an excuse for Disney to lack in their maintenance department in other aspects of the resort.
    Agreed, but that is the big thing, I have two monkies that I drag around. The other thing was the last trip we made we were living in Vegas and it was a huge convenience to not rent a car to do everything, then at the same time it can be a bit of a inconvenience as well. But like I said the big thing for me is kids activities.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Not a fan of the All Stars either. When we went 2003 we stayed at the All Star Movies, we were supposed to be there a week but we were so miserable after two nights we moved to the Caribbean Beach.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Blog Entries

My wife and I have stayed at the Pop 3 times and had great experiences each time. This last trip, it was unavailable so we took the all star sports hotel. I'm not sure I'll ever do that again.

Like you said, much of the icons of the hotels were faded, we were unlucky to be there during cheerleader time (ugh), the grounds keeping here was absolutely awful. On top of that, the walls are paper thin. Our first night there, just as I'd finally gotten to sleep, an alarm started going off at midnight. I called the front desk and complained about the alarm after it had been going off for 10 minutes. They said they'd send someone down to investigate. After 30 minutes it was still going off, I called and complained again. They said they'd send someone down again. After an hour I walked down to the front desk and demanded that someone come down and fix it or I was kicking a door in to fix it myself. I stood outside and waited for someone to show up. 15 minutes later a guy rides by on a segway stops at the door and then leaves. So I chase him down and ask him where he's going, he claims he can't hear anything. So I make him come back and come into my room so that he could clearly hear it through the wall. Finally, he opens the door to that room and turns it off. At this point its almost 1:30 in the morning and this alarm had been going off since midnight. I never even got as much as an apology from anyone about it. I know its not their fault that the alarm went off, but the service I got from them to fix the problem was awful.

• Too far from Disney World

TDLFan, I think we had your same security guard last September! We drove from Ohio and arrived to stay at the All Star Movie resort around 11pm. We drove up and said we had reservations and received the 3rd degree, a check of both of our licenses and a run of our reservation number before she let us pass. I found that a bit odd.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast