Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Why on Main Street??

For some time now, I have been noticing some things going on just before parade time on Main Street USA that I disagree with. Today, while enjoying the lovely weather we have had in Orlando lately and while waiting for the parade to start, I witnessed a few things that left me irritated.

Since my G-Fan is a parade junkie and loves sitting on the curb on Main Street up to an hour before the spectacle (??) rolls down the Street, it gives us time to entertain ourselves looking at the horrible touristy fashion shows and then some. Then there are other things I do not quite agree with, such as the kiddy games I see going on before parade time.

Why does Disney feel the need to pull out hula hoops, jump ropes, horseshoe throw sticks just for the sake of entertaining the little brats on the street? And some adult too? Since when Disney feels obligated to cater to pre-school kids (and parents who still behave as such) instead of putting those same CMs to better us around the parade route... with much more necesary duties such as crowd control, security, cleaning or simply keeping order as we wait for the parade to start?

What bugs me the most about this type of activity is how sometimes these activities encourage the kids to run berseck and be reckless around the street and in some cases, it promotes behavior that could lead to injury and unnecesary accidents. (Today, we witnessed a woman being hit by the jump rope, and another 40-something "kid" attempting to jump it which was embarrasing to all watching, since the lady was quite huge in the middle/ another kid tripped and fell attempting the same rope jumping). Etc etc. Isn't Disney concerned about liabilities? I guess not, since Mission: Space is still opened, but that is another story..

Also, while these kid-oriented activities are going on.. it irks me even more that such Disney touches, as the usual Main Street USA musical loop, are turned off up to a good half hour or more before parade time. This leaves Main Street USA totally dead in regards to ambiance. No music. Jyst screaming kids and CMs alike. Add to that what happened today that I have never seen done before and quite disagreed with... A CM rolls out a speaker (disguised as a wooden box) and starts blasting off Hip-Hop style music while the brats are jumping rope.. in the middle of Main Street USA no less!!! WTF is that? Am I not supposed to be in a turn of the century American town anymore?? Which also begs to ask.. why are all of the CMs in this area playing kiddy games wearing generic Gap outfits and not the usual victorian style costumes that should be worn on Main Street USA? Is the management so clueless about Disney theming or are they simply not interested in keeping the theme and show "intact" anymore? This is the ghettofication of Main Street USA to say the least.

Needless to say... BAD SHOW DISNEY! ...and whoever came up with these initiatives, should have his/her royal back fired for good.

Re: Why on Main Street??

Perhaps, someone should send a strongly worded email to Phil Holmes and/or Dan Cockerell. (I wouldn't advise it be you, TDLFAN, since we know you're on their radar!)

But it's just more of the WalMarting of the parks. LCD crap. Why provide real Disney quality entertainment when you can get a $6.50 per hour CM to play with the guests?

Worse, you're quite right about the safety issue. For a company so concerned about liability issues that they've made the entrance to EPCOT look like Guantanamo in an effort to reduce liability if some terrorist wackjob attempts something (in which case they'll still be sued), you'd think something like this was a no-brainer.

I actually had to make some major evasive action to prevent being run over by a CM playing with kids on my last visit on the corner where the candy shop is.

As to costumes, you must understand that if most of WDW management had its way, everyone would be wearing one of about five different Gap style outfits. They have no (blanking) clue what show is anymore. Sad that guests need to splain it to 'em.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, I've seen the kiddie game cart go rolling by, and doing the giant plastic golf club. BLEAH! Definitely NOT the right kind of pre parade entertainment! Or you could even say a Dumbing down of entertainment! Bad direction for Disney to be going. Now, I don't recall if area music was turned off or changed, but I don't think it was, thankfully.

• Senior Minion

I saw this today as well at the Disneyland Resort. There were just random games set up all over Main Street in the middle of crowds walking around. One of the friends I was with asked a CM why they're doing this, and they said it is something new the park is trying to get out there. All throughout Main Street I saw a makeshift basketball type game, miniature golf and bowling - I personally don't get it ... and honestly don't like it. There is no reason to set up games like this, literally, in the MIDDLE of Main Street.

• Minion

I don't know WDW too well but I can say that I've noticed this in CA. At first I didn't think anything of it until I began seeing it on more frequent occasions. I honestly thing that it wont last long. That being said I hope it goes away fast.

• Shablagoo!

Do they roll hoops with sticks? Now there would be an in-theme game.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Eh, I think its nice of them to give the kids something to do while waiting for the parade but I can see why people wouldn't like it either.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think the idea of providing entertainment is fine and welcome. Not everyone should sit like they are in church waiting for the parade.

However, it sounds like the implementation is junk and the problem. TDLFAN seems to have a problem with the concept AND the implementation.

They should play around with period stuff and in costume.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Eh, I think its nice of them to give the kids something to do while waiting for the parade but I can see why people wouldn't like it either.
    Agree! We used to entertain the kids with bag of Cotton Candy before the parades. It works wonders!

Last edited by tayakaleb; 05-27-2008 at 04:20 AM.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When I visited the Magic Kingdom in December, I noticed the cast members playing jump rope with the kids in front of City Hall. I even took some pictures.

• Closed Account

THANK YOU TDLFAN!! Let me tell YOU!. This was forced on us by Management i dont know when, as i was rehired in '04. Main Street section is by far the worst. Im surprised it got by safety and Disneys lawyers. These are called PAC-tivities (get it?) and Main Street has the most ghetto ones. Management REALLY makes them do it. However in Liberty Square, since its all us Disney geeks/purists working in AdvLand/LibSquare we hardly ever do it, we hate them, and will only do it if ummm certain ppl insist we do it.

As for the costumes. Um it could be worse. At LEAST They are wearing the WDW RR Costumes which is also Main Street OPS Costume and the music, well that i hate the most. They turn off the music for EVERYTHING. Dapper Dans, ALL the Dream Along shows, before day and night parades, and before Wishes. However, it will play in the Hub and TownSquare.

• Closed Account

Also, thx to Main Streets out of control PAC-tivities, i can no longer subject myself to sitting on Main Street proper to watch a parade. I know watch it at the step off gate by Emporium/Firehouse. Much quieter.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post

I agree. I really does not effect me either way. When my kids are there, sometimes they join in, sometimes not.

When I am there alone, somtimes I get a kick out of watching the kids have fun. Sometimes the CM's seem to be having fun with the kids as well - maybe they are just good actors.

Yes, it could be implimented better, with better (consistent) themeing.

And no, my kids don't NEED something to do while waiting for a parade, but if there is something there to do, well then thats a little extra.

I gave up a long time ago expecting to walk anywhere in WDW without having to snake my way around a bevy of things.

As for lawsuits, if Disney has done this in spite of the litigation happy world we live in, then I applaud them. People get hurt, somtimes by accident. Maybe we should all wrap ourselves in bubble wrap, sit on our couch, and not move. Sorry - personal rant there.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Maybe we should all wrap ourselves in bubble wrap, sit on our couch, and not move. Sorry - personal rant there.

-dave
    I tried that with my daughter, the air in the bubbles lifted her toward the ceiling and made her look like a Macy's Day parade float, so to circumvent the issue, I popped the bubbles and she fizzled out like a flatulating balloon. Needless to say no children were harmed in the making of this safety announcement.

• making magic is fun!

I arrived one morning early before the MK opening and they had a CM out front doing these things to entertain people until they did the park opening.
    Kelly

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast