Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Fort Wilderness Fanatic

California Grill Question

Does anyone know where I can view a current menu for The California Grill?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: California Grill Question

• making magic is fun!

I ate there in April and it was sooo good. The link to allears looks pretty current but there menu changes. If you have allergies or any huge concerns I would call the restaurant and ask them to fax you a menu.
    Kelly

• Fort Wilderness Fanatic

Thank You! I really appreciate your help!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I ate there in 2003, and it was a wonderful time. If you don't mind a late dinner, check the Magic Kingdom fireworks schedule for the night you are looking at, and perhaps you can see them after your meal. We were fortunate enough to have done that. Also, although it is thought of as an adult restaurant, I took my 10 year old grandson there, and he really enjoyed the special treatment he received from the wait staff, the open kitchen, and he even tried the sushi.

The California Grill is the second-best restaurant at WDW (only behind 5-star, 5-diamond Victoria and ALberts, which is in a class by itself).

But CG is incredible. It's quality has never wavered since opening in 1995 (despite several chef changes). The food is always amazing in a lick the plate kinda way. And the views are pretty spectacular too.

The menu does change, often daily, but many items like the flatbreads, the tamarind BBQ filet (the best piece of meat at WDW) and the pork tenderloin will always be on the menu.

I can't say enough good things about this place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    The California Grill is the second-best restaurant at WDW (only behind 5-star, 5-diamond Victoria and ALberts, which is in a class by itself).

But CG is incredible. It's quality has never wavered since opening in 1995 (despite several chef changes). The food is always amazing in a lick the plate kinda way. And the views are pretty spectacular too.

The menu does change, often daily, but many items like the flatbreads, the tamarind BBQ filet (the best piece of meat at WDW) and the pork tenderloin will always be on the menu.

I can't say enough good things about this place.
    Sorry about the extremely late post, but I just wanted to offer my compliments as well. California Grill is one of the most desired spots in the resort for fine-dining due to its location- perhaps even more so than Victoria & Albert's. The views are stunning, and the food is exceptional for a Disney restaurant. The decor is a bit stark, but that's part of the contemporary look. Overall, I think California Grill is on par with Napa Rose but not quite up to the level of Victoria & Albert's.

And just a small nitpick, but Victoria & Albert's only garnered the full 5 diamonds from AAA. Mobil, which have more stringent guidelines, only gave them 4 stars (and 3 stars for the Grand Floridian itself).

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffwork...restaurant.htm

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffwork...a-fl-hotel.htm

Only 17 restaurants in the country were given the Five-Star title (compared to about 46 Five-Diamond winners in the U.S. alone).
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 07-06-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Links added
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Sorry about the extremely late post, but I just wanted to offer my compliments as well. California Grill is one of the most desired spots in the resort for fine-dining due to its location- perhaps even more so than Victoria & Albert's. The views are stunning, and the food is exceptional for a Disney restaurant. The decor is a bit stark, but that's part of the contemporary look. Overall, I think California Grill is on par with Napa Rose but not quite up to the level of Victoria & Albert's.

And just a small nitpick, but Victoria & Albert's only garnered the full 5 diamonds from AAA. Mobil, which have more stringent guidelines, only gave them 4 stars (and 3 stars for the Grand Floridian itself).

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffwork...restaurant.htm

http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffwork...a-fl-hotel.htm

Only 17 restaurants in the country were given the Five-Star title (compared to about 46 Five-Diamond winners in the U.S. alone).
    V&A's is terrific no matter Mobil's rating. It was one of the best meals I've had on Earth!

California Grill and Napa Rose, which I'd put slightly above CG, are great but not in V&A's league and aren't supposed to be.

Also, CG will be closing and getting an extreme makeover at some point soon ... just part of the 10-year (OK, only seems that way) renovation and tower addition at the Contemporary.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

That allears menu info looks pretty current since my last visit after Gay Days weekend last month. I had the foie gras appetizer and veal entree. Both were fantastic! Just a note also: the cheese board mentioned in the dessert section also makes a great appetizer. I shared one with my date last month too. Yummy.

And don't forget to plan your meal around the MK fireworks, the view from the observation deck is like seeing a whole new show.

I love the CG and go there every time I visit WDW!

--Jonathan

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    V&A's is terrific no matter Mobil's rating. It was one of the best meals I've had on Earth!
    Agreed. Victoria & Albert's is far and away the best Disney restaurant in terms of food and is also the only one which I would describe as a gourmet restaurant. The food doesn't quite compare to some of the top Michelin rated places but is certainly exceptional nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if they qualified for a single Michelin star.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 07-08-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    And don't forget to plan your meal around the MK fireworks, the view from the observation deck is like seeing a whole new show.
    Hey do you know the earliest your reservations need to be in order to see them?

And yes, that fruit and cheese plate is sooooooo delicious!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Hey do you know the earliest your reservations need to be in order to see them?
    If the fireworks are scheduled for 10p.m. book for 9 p.m. and so on. Allow an hour before the show. If you've finished your main course they will hold your dessert.
    The music is piped on to the viewing verandah so you see the show in perfect sync.
    Contact Guest Relations to get the time of the firework show for the day in question or check the park schedules:
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...s/calendarHome
    Click on the date you require and it will list all parade and firework times.

Another thing to look out for when in the California Grill is the Electrical Water Pageant that takes place on the lake outside (to the south end of the grill) It, too has a schedule:

Polynesian Resort -- 9 p.m.
    Grand Floridian -- 9:15 p.m.
    Wilderness Lodge -- 9:35 p.m.
    Fort Wilderness -- 9:45 p.m.
    ****Contemporary Resort -- 10:05 p.m.***
    Magic Kingdom -- 10:20 p.m. (only during extended MK park
    hours)

Note that when the Magic Kingdom Fireworks are scheduled for 9 p.m., the Electrical Water Pageant runs about 7-20 minutes later.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

*looks at prices*

*head explodes*

• Geoff London

It is fine dining not McDs!
    People don't eat there every night. It might be an anniversary or birthday celebration so you want something that is extra special.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    It is fine dining not McDs!
    People don't eat there every night. It might be an anniversary or birthday celebration so you want something that is extra special.
    Well, my BF is taking me to Roy's for my birthday next month, and that's not a cheap place either, so....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast