Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 89
  1. #16

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    496

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    What's next, Playboy at the news stand?
    They sell men's magazines at Downtown Disney. Virgin also displays and sells albums with graphic covers. Obviously, Disney isn't concerned with every inch of their property being G rated.

  2. #17

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Apples and Oranges. Or Lesbians and Romance Novels as it were.

    Not sure how I feel about this one. I mean, it's obvious Disney has a deal with the book company to sell books, but they probably should be a bit more selective in what they actually allow in.

    DtD is one thing, but IN the park, quite another.

    What's next, Playboy at the news stand?
    Well I know that Pam Anderson's Star used to be available and on display at Writer's Stop in 2005, since that's the year it came out. I had no idea why it was there except that its supposed to be a "working film studio" so perhaps the storyline was acceptable? Who knows!

  3. #18

    • If We Can Dream It...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Far Far Away From the Magic
    Posts
    961

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    I'm with Sir Clinksalot, I don't quite know how I feel about this.
    - Horizonsfan

  4. #19

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Just around the riverbend
    Posts
    8,057

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Hanna does Montana books?
    Wow! I think that would be way worse then Jackie Collins!

    On a serious side though, if I had a child and they picked up a Jackie Collins book I'd be very concerned ... along with the fact that I wouldn't let my child too far out of my sight so I'd know what they're doing.


  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    ^ I guess that was sorta my point. When I was a kid, we were NEVER allowed to touch anything in a store without asking first. If we did, man watch out. I guess my problem isn't with the book, it's with parents just letting their kids run wild and do whatever they want. Then complaining when something bad happens. "You should've been watching my children, etc..." If you're watching your kid and they ask to pick up the Jackie Collins book, you say no. Oh that was simple - I guess too simple for most people.
    -Tim

  6. #21

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    ORGOCH: Fer some dang reason, smut sells an' that's most likely why Dizzy Managment put the book out there ta be bought 'n paid fer like some cheap hussy. (Speakin' a cheap hussies, I got a no-good sister who fits that description to a 'T'.)

  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    Should they take Ellen out of Ellen's Energy Adventure because she's gay? We wouldn't want children exposed to the likes of her, right? That would be bad show.

    I really don't see the comparison your trying to make. The attraction has nothing do with Ellen's personal life or lesbian dinosaurs.

    I actually have to agree with TDLFAN on this one too. Disney used to be very careful about what content was allowed into the parks. Including what guests wear to the parks. If offensive material is banned from shirts then why is it on Disney's shelves. Without even having to look at the book in question I am willing to bet that the particular page was not the only one with offensive language. There are plenty of possible books to fill the small bookstore that would be appropriate for the enviroment.

    That said I don't believe everything on property has to be family friendly but as the old saying goes there is a time and place for everything. In the case of WDW the parks are what Disney used to pride itself on being wholesome. To me more adult material is a better fit for places such as Downtown Disney and the Virgin Megastore.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    The comparison I was making is quite simple actually. They are both things that certain segments of the general population have personal issues with. And, they both happen to be in Disney theme parks. I know people that refuse to do Universe of Energy just because Ellen is in it. And, others have issue with books sold at a bookstore in the park. They're very much related to each other.

    If you don't like Ellen, don't ride the attraction. If you don't like the books at the bookstore, don't pick them up. I guess I just don't see the issue. I must have missed the memo that said everything in the World (Walt Disney World even) had to appeal to everyone. If that's the case, I'd like the Dolphin, Swan, McDonald's (both of them), all the other chain restaurants/stores and the Kingdom/Bay Lake Tower all removed because I think they're "bad show" and personally have issue with them.
    -Tim

  9. #24

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,060
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    But then the part of me that rails against the sanitizing of society wants to speak up.
    Isn't one of the oldest criticisms of the Disney parks the incredibly sanitized view of the world?

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    They sell men's magazines at Downtown Disney. Virgin also displays and sells albums with graphic covers. Obviously, Disney isn't concerned with every inch of their property being G rated.
    The Virgin Megastore is a separate store at Downtown Disney. The bookshop in question is inside the Disney-MGM Studios.

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    The comparison I was making is quite simple actually. They are both things that certain segments of the general population have personal issues with. And, they both happen to be in Disney theme parks. I know people that refuse to do Universe of Energy just because Ellen is in it. And, others have issue with books sold at a bookstore in the park. They're very much related to each other.
    Well if those people refuse to go on UoE because she is a lesbian, than I am glad that such ignorant people have nothing to do with me. If the don't go on it cause they think Ellen isn't funny or even annoying that is an opinion they are more than welcome to have. Pretty sad that these people you know refuse to ride cause Ellen is gay as your implying.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 06-05-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    ^ I didn't say I agreed with them or thought it was right. I was just showing a similarity and trying to show that removing a book from a tiny bookstore is just as sad as removing Ellen because she's gay.
    -Tim

  12. #27

    • Little Miss Sunshine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    I don't like that the Virgin Megastore sells magazines like High Times.

    I also remember buying a book on Davy Jones during one Flower and Garden Festival. It was pretty raunchy in areas, like saying that his first sexual experience was like rape (it didn't really sound like it, not forced). I was just a little shocked at this book that I bought at Epcot!
    Denise

    www.mousesteps.com




    Favorite TDL Typo:

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

  13. #28

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Hmm ... interesting thread. At first, my reaction was 'well, that shouldn't be there' but the more I thought about the more I feel that's not the right opinion.

    It is a bookstore, No. 1. It has sold other books with more adult langauge in the past. And frankly, the chances of some child picking up the book, opening to a certain page and yelling 'Mommy, what's a c***?' is miniscule.

    Also, this isn't the MK where I definitely would be against it. This is a park about media and is now aiming at the 14-34 demo to keep the attendance from plummeting further. American Idol is much trashier than a Jackie C. novel anyway and it's on the way.

    I guess with gay days upon us, I'd be more concerned about right wing wackos who have issues with non-straight people than a book with a few 'bad' words in it.

    Or worse, people who support wacko right wing politicians that spew hate-filled agnendas and then try and seperate that from having 'gay friends' ... there's a lot of that going around.

  14. #29

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Isn't one of the oldest criticisms of the Disney parks the incredibly sanitized view of the world?
    Yes, but Disney has always been upfront about being proud of their "family-friendly/quality" entertainment, and how the World should really be. Just look at one of those sickening High School Musical movies... But to place a book that contains very fowl language and explicit sexual situation on the shelf *INSIDE* the so-called "sanitized" enviroment the company so much preaches about... is downright HYPOCRITICAL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave
    I thought WDW wasn't for childern
    Actually, it isn't but that is another topic for discussion.. But just because I am an adult, it does NOT mean I want to go into a Disney park to see/read/view/ride filth, sex or even fowl language. That is the reason I escape the real world and go play at Disney's.

  15. #30

    • Bats in the Belfry!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwestern Michigan
    Posts
    50

    Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

    Just remember that it was in a book that you chose to pick up and thumb through. It wasn't on a mural or a billboard, or even in plain view, but stuck between the pages of a book. It's something you would have to actually pick up and look through before you saw it. Most kids probably aren't going to even pay attention to a book like that, let alone open it and read through passages of it. They just need to keep it up from where most little hands can't grab it. Really, though, I don't see it as a huge problem. If it were printed somewhere extremely visible to everyone at all times, sure. In a book that Disney happens to sell in one of the parks? No. It's tucked away in small print on a shelf away from the kids, who will have zero interest in picking up a grownup book anyway. If you don't want to be exposed to it, you don't have to pick it up either.

    -Adam-

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Questionable Vacation Packages
    By tonyrr1 in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •