Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

Quite frankly I think this whole thread is a bit stupid. It's a bookstore that sells books. Maybe somebodt is on their vacation and wants to read a book.

Banning the book would be a form of censorship, which last time I checked was against the law in this country. A local Borders bookstore has this huge section of childrens books in it, just outside the kiddie books is the art section where one can find books full of nude people.

So there is a Jackie Collins noovel in the store. Oh my God the "World" is coming to end. Wake up already, the way kids are these days they probably use the same language at school as it is.

I'm tired of hearing that Disney World is strictly for kids. It's not. Adults go to, and enjoy, the parks as well. Cirque du Soleil is more racey than a Jackie Collins novel. There at least it's thrown visually in your face. As far as the novel is concerned the kids would have to actually open the book. That in itself would be a longshot since it doesn't say Nintendo or X-Box on the cover.

And for the poster that referenced Disney-MGM Studios, Disney-MGM Studios no longer exists. The park is now Disney's Hollywood Studios.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Banning the book would be a form of censorship, which last time I checked was against the law in this country.
    By that logic, Disney is breaking the law by not selling Hustler (which is quite legal, as a publication).

I do agree that MK is more child-oriented than DHS, but I am still on the side that thinks "Disney World" is supposed to equal "child safe." I'm guessing Disney wants the world to think that too. I dunno. We could try to get a quote out of Press and Publicity to see if they think foul language is appropriate in a bookstore in a Disney park.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlyguitarist View Post
    If it were printed somewhere extremely visible to everyone at all times, sure. In a book that Disney happens to sell in one of the parks? No. It's tucked away in small print on a shelf away from the kids, who will have zero interest in picking up a grownup book anyway. If you don't want to be exposed to it, you don't have to pick it up either.

-Adam-
    Actually, it was on a cart across from the pavilion. I didn't realize what I was being "exposed to" when I picked it up, and I'm not that shocked by things normally. I'd expect kids also to be drawn to the book of the guy they just saw sing, as I recall it was softcover with lots of photos.

(I am still a big fan of his at the F&G show, but I don't think I ever saw that book again there).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• is satisfactual.

I'm with Halltd and WDW1974 on this one. A couple of bad words tucked away into a romance novel on sale in a bookstore in a far corner of Disney's Hollywood Studios does not, pardon the expression, a skid row make.

Even if one should feel out of principle that this book shouldn't be for sale in a Disney park, this is still an overreaction. There are worse things in the world. Like wars. And a certain hat blocking a certain theater...

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    Now if they could only do something about that raping and pillaging and selling of women over on that blasted Pirates ride!
    That's a very good point actually. It's funny how swiftly people change their opinions on filth in Disney parks. Take it out of where it's been for ages and it's overly PC, but put it in someplace new and it's, "think of the children!"

Of course, there's a difference between a proper ride scene and a trashy Jackie Collins novel, but the moral ambivalence is striking.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    ...But just because I am an adult, it does NOT mean I want to go into a Disney park to see/read/view/ride filth, sex or even fowl language....
    So books that reference Donald Duck or Chicken Little should be banned from the parks too?
    -Tim

Best line in this thread:
    That said, I will have to be a little more careful to watch what my daughter picks up. Granted, she is only three and can't read...
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

I think there are far more important things to worry about than this. I know if I had a young child and they read it I wouldn't be thrilled. But there are far more serious issues to be concerned with both at WDW and in the real world.

I'm much more offended by some of the language I hear tossed around by typical Disney guests while in a queue or on a walkway or at a pool with kids all around.

I'd rather see Disney come out with a printed code of conduct about behavior rather than worry about a book being sold at one shop.
    (although the way Disney operates as soon as one of the people who monitor this site read this thread, it'll disappear anyway!)

• Minion

Who is going to buy a Jackie Collins book at WDW in the first place?

Someone who enjoys her writing and wants a book to read while on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    lesbian dinosaurs
    Finally, we learn the truth behind why the dinosaurs went extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    Banning the book would be a form of censorship, which last time I checked was against the law in this country.
    I have no problem with the book being sld in the bookstore. But if Disney chose not to sell it, that would NOT be censorship. A private business has no legal obligation to sell anything it doesn't want to sell.

It happens every day. You don't hear swear words on broadcast TV, basic cable TV, or terrestrial radio. The television networks actually employ people called CENSORS. Censorship is alive and well. And perfectly legal.

On to the topic at hand ....

As a parent, it is MY obligation to watch my kids and limit their exposure to things of my choosing. If I am not watching my kid and leave my kid unattended and a few minutes later I find my kid thumbing through a trashy novel and happening upon some dirty words, then SHAME ON ME FOR NOT PROPERLY SUPERVISING MY CHILD!

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Finally, we learn the truth behind why the dinosaurs went extinct.

the truth had to come out eventually

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Someone who enjoys her writing and wants a book to read while on vacation.
    I know, it just seems odd to sell random non-Disney related stuff inside the parks.

^ The parks sell all kinds of non-Disney related merchandise. When I used to have a cast discount, I loved it because we got discounts on DVDs, Adidas merchandise, clothes, etc... Epcot has the best selection in World Showcase especially with brands like Helly Hansen. Plus, the resorts are full of non-Disney stuff too. Don't forget about Downtown Disney which is slowly but surely turning into your run-of-the-mill shopping center as seen in every major suburb in the US.
    -Tim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast