Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: Why questionable merchandise at WDW?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Why the need to bring the white house into it? Is the government secretly mindcontrolling the entire country? No - this is a society issue where people are using laws and the courts to push their will onto others. The White House has nothing to do with any of it. It's the people living down the street and around the corner all over America that are dragging us down.
    Well, this may shock you but our current Prez got elected on the votes of many on the far religious right. He does consider himself 'born again' after his days as a coke addict and after his wife killed a friend while driving drunk. The man never seems to fail to use the word 'God' in an address to the media or American public. As if 'God' has somehow chosen him (and if you visit enough churches on Sunday mornings, you'll hear this).

But yeah, I basically agree with your point. Because ultimately it's those people who got him into the White House to begin with.

Hell, now we have three (well two now) Presidential candidates that go out of their way to bring 'God' (Oprah in my opinion!) and 'faith' into their campaign rhetoric. I find it as phony as when 'w' does the same thing.

Exactly - its a people problem. Businesses are being forced to accommodate these absurd ideals through litigation. Somehow we are supposed to be this sterile, accident-free, never at fault yourself society now.

At some point about 20 years ago.. common sense just fell out of law in some way.
    Common sense? What is that? Does it even exist anymore?

Every day I feel people are getting dumber. Is it something in the water? An evil government plot? ... To bring this back to Disney, remember 20 years ago you didn't have gates on any Disney attaction, you didn't have three glued on signs on ride vehicles telling you to 'duh, watch your brats', you didn't have lawyers having the wings of bats taken off queue posts in the Mansion ... yep, things have changed.
    Last edited by WDW1974; 06-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ I've seen MUCH worse shirts get through the main gate.

I have too. Somtimes it makes me wonder.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ I've seen MUCH worse shirts get through the main gate.
    I admit I had no idea what MILF even stood for ... the Ameircan Pie movies weren't must-see viewing for me. I still don't feel enough people have a clue to make it offensive.

I did stand behind a teen at DLP last year for Buzz Lightyear wearing a tee that proudly invited all to go ******* off. I couldn't believe that made it in, even in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by flotsam_mike View Post
    Maybe they just realy like Mike and Sully?
    Maybe

Honestly though, I would tell my kids, in not so many words, what the gist of it is, and then let them know not to repeat it.

I don't believe in keeping my kids in the dark. I let them know what things are/mean and then make damn well sure the know the proper contexts in which to use them.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Just so you all know, I was at DHS last Friday and the book was not there.
    We need to get TDLFAN a tee made up that shows him vanquishing Jackie!

I just wish he could do something about the hat/pinshack so easily!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I admit I had no idea what MILF even stood for ... the Ameircan Pie movies weren't must-see viewing for me. I still don't feel enough people have a clue to make it offensive.

I did stand behind a teen at DLP last year for Buzz Lightyear wearing a tee that proudly invited all to go ******* off. I couldn't believe that made it in, even in Paris.

I assume the person knew what they were wearing, and it was not some French version of www.engrish.com (Take a look in the clothing section)

-dave

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well, this may shock you but our current Prez got elected on the votes of many on the far religious right. He does consider himself 'born again' after his days as a coke addict and after his wife killed a friend while driving drunk. The man never seems to fail to use the word 'God' in an address to the media or American public. As if 'God' has somehow chosen him (and if you visit enough churches on Sunday mornings, you'll hear this).
    Maybe - but I don't find it relevant at all to the underlying point that it's not the president, or his policy, or anything he says that makes your fellow citizens who they are or how they act when it comes to the 'blame everyone else' and liticious society we have become. It started well before the current president. So while you have some bone to pick - really in one ear out the other here. People rant and rave about the executive office day and night - it doesn't change anything about the idiots who live in your town.

Every day I feel people are getting dumber. Is it something in the water? An evil government plot? ... To bring this back to Disney, remember 20 years ago you didn't have gates on any Disney attaction, you didn't have three glued on signs on ride vehicles telling you to 'duh, watch your brats', you didn't have lawyers having the wings of bats taken off queue posts in the Mansion ... yep, things have changed.
    Yup - all long before this president - so we can stop singing that song and realize its everyone around us that is the problem. The president is not an emperor nor are we the Borg so I find the endless blame-game quite boring and trite.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Oh no, Dave, they knew.

And that should have been stopped at the gate.

People rant and rave about the executive office day and night - it doesn't change anything about the idiots who live in your town.

Yup - all long before this president - so we can stop singing that song and realize its everyone around us that is the problem. The president is not an emperor nor are we the Borg so I find the endless blame-game quite boring and trite.
    I guess the bottom line for me, because I agree with 98% of what you say, is that everything is emblematic of a dumbing down (WalMarting) of our society.

I see it in everything from the White House to the MK ... from TV news to customer service with AT&T ... from dealing with my attorneys to dealing with my insurance adjustor (and company) ... there just is this incredible disconnect from reality (sanity?) that most folks in this country have on a daily basis.

It's almost like I'm waiting for someone to jump out with cameras and find out we're all living in that Truman Show movie from a few years ago.

Where has all the common sense gone?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I would be more concerned the photo on another thread of a person wearing a shirt that says "Got MILF ?"

My oldest (9 y/o), who is current a voracious reader and loves to learn new words, could very easly see a person walking around the park wearing that shirt. Of course she would ask me "Dad, whats a MILF ?" and then I would have some delicate explaining to do.

On the other had, the chances of her seeing ******* on a page in a paperback on a shelf somewhere that she would have no interest in anyway is a lot less likely. I was a bit suprised that the shirt made it though the CM's at the gate.

-dave
    I am pretty sure most 9 year olds know the f word whether the parent knows they know it or not.

About wearing inapproriate shirts, I think they shouldn't be allowed on Disney property, even if most kids know what the shirts are talking about. It's just a matter of deceny not to wear shirts that say things like "Got MILF" or "******* off" in a place like Disney World.
    Last edited by GhostHost2; 06-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I am pretty sure most 9 year olds know the f word whether the parent knows they know it or not.

About wearing inapproriate shirts, I think they shouldn't be allowed on Disney property, even if most kids know what the shirts are talking about. It's just a matter of deceny not to wear shirts that say things like "Got MILF" or "******* off" in a place like Disney World.

I know mine does, because she dropped the f-bomb once .... once

She is not quite sure what it means as of yet (the mechanics behind it of course) but she does know the word. I just don't feel like describing what a MILF is to a 9 year old (and since they are like Frick and Frack, her 6 year old sister would know a day or so later as well)

-dave

• Little Miss Sunshine

Of course, you can just let the kids know that MILF stands for Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor...
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I know mine does, because she dropped the f-bomb once .... once

She is not quite sure what it means as of yet (the mechanics behind it of course) but she does know the word. I just don't feel like describing what a MILF is to a 9 year old (and since they are like Frick and Frack, her 6 year old sister would know a day or so later as well)

-dave
    Yeah, I understand about not wanting to explain what a MILF is. That would be a tough one.

• Banned User

Just a little update on this... I was told the book was removed. That is NOT correct. As of today Friday 20th, it was there. Of course, I do not care if Disney removes the book or not since I have no children, but I won't change my mind about the hypocritical ways the company operates their parks in regards to questionable merchanside, and since they promote the park as "family entertainment"... I think merchadise like that should be banned.
    Another correction... pages 402-403 are the pages that explicitely uses demeaning profanity in references to woman and sexual acts, and all in CAPS for your enjoyment. Happy reading on your next visit to DHS.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456