Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contemporary Resort Vacation Club Tower

So I would like to know what everybody's opinion is on the new Contemporary Vacation Club tower? Me personally I was against them building it. I personally thought that it would overshadow the Contemporary and that it's Rasulo and the suits overdeveloping the resort but that's just my opinion. What's everybody else think????

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Re: Contemporary Resort Vacation Club Tower

I am excited about it and can't wait to buy points there.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

It makes me want to be a dvc member lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I loathe it more than anything else at WDW (including the Sorcerer's Hat)

Considering the extraordinary location of the new Kingdom Tower, the design of the building couldn't be more ordinary. Simply put, it is cheap, generic mid-rise condo crap that can be found anywhere from Orlando to Indianapolis, Hartford to Cleveland. The architects did nothing to compliment the Contemporary's unique A-frame design; the materials appear to be different; they didn't even pay deference to the original by making the new tower shorter. It looks like a hospital with a gimmick monorail walkway coming out of it.

The tower is a blight on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. It continues to overcrowd the Magic Kingdom resort area (which should have reached max-build out). It is visible from several places within the Magic Kingdom, destroying the illusion & story of the park.

A greedy, shortsighted developer took a priceless piece of WDW real estate and put up the cheapest, most profitable building she could. That cheap, greedy,short-sighted developer is named Meg Crofton.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-07-2008 at 09:58 PM.

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Talking Re: Contemporary Resort Vacation Club Tower

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

Considering the extraordinary location of the new Kingdom Tower, the design of the building couldn't be more ordinary. Simply put, it is cheap, generic mid-rise condo crap that can be found anywhere from Orlando to Indianapolis, Hartford to Cleveland. The architects did nothing to compliment the Contemporary's unique A-frame design; the materials appear to be different; they didn't even pay deference to the original by making the new tower shorter. It looks like a hospital with a gimmick monorail walkway coming out of it.

The tower is a blight on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. It continues to overcrowd the Magic Kingdom resort area (which should have reached max-build out). It is visible from several places within the Magic Kingdom, destroying the illusion & story of the park.

A greedy, shortsighted developer took a priceless piece of WDW real estate and put up the cheapest, most profitable building she could. That cheap, greedy,short-sighted developer is named Meg Crofton.
    C'mon, tell us how you really feel, and this time, please don't hold back.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

I could not agree more with you but also remember. Meg Crofton is Al Weiss's little B*TCH that just does what Rasulo and comp. tell her. It really is sad to see such greed running something like WDW.

• World Traveler

Architecturally, I think it's the wrong design. As a traveler, I think this will give more rooms to the area and might bring down prices a little as there will be so many more rooms available at the Contemporary.

^Yes, former HR executive Crofton does have to answer to her higher-ups, who expect higher profit margins every year. In order to make these margins and secure her job & paycheck, she's gone about overdeveloping and selling off(!) WDW land (Four Seasons, Flamingo Crossing) - the easiest, most short-term way to get a quick return.

What I would have hoped for would be a courageous, creative executive (the opposite of Crofton) who would say to Rasulo, Weiss and Iger: "Large expanses of green spaces, a hallmark of WDW since its inception, is becoming very precious and very rare in Central Florida, as shown by the profligate overdevelopment of the Orlando area (see Google Earth). If we want to maintain the integrity and uniqueness of our WDW property we must be careful about how we develop it. The feeling of physical isolation and escape from the real world of suburban sprawl is part of what entices some people to come here and we should be mindful of that in the way we develop the property. We'll find other ways to increase margins (such as building incredible rides and attractions that will draw more people)"

Even if the higher-ups say, "no. keep building DVC units." It could - and should - have been done in a vastly better way (design-, height-, material-, location-wise) than the Kingdom Tower aka Disney's Hospital & Emergency Care Resort.

Totally agree with post 4, Randy.

It sickens me. And you (all) should know that DVC is planned for both GF and Poly as well. It is a cash cow.

But none of these decisions are being made by Inoverherheadmeg. She is a figurehead, pure and simple.

Her strings are being yanked by Jay Rasulo and Al Weiss. Don't blame her for this blight.

And I'm going to just say Mike must have been out in the sun too long this weekend if he thinks that this will bring prices down. This will raise prices in the MK resort area even more.

The only thing that will bring prices down is when our recession gets even worse ...

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    And I'm going to just say Mike must have been out in the sun too long this weekend if he thinks that this will bring prices down. This will raise prices in the MK resort area even more.

The only thing that will bring prices down is when our recession gets even worse ...
    I agree about the prices not going down. But I don't think it would lead to an increase directly on its own
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wem1985 View Post
    I could not agree more with you but also remember. Meg Crofton is Al Weiss's little B*TCH that just does what Rasulo and comp. tell her. It really is sad to see such greed running something like WDW.
    TOTALLY agree. The current management as WDW is ismply clueless about the Traditions and is all about the money and how to keep the shareholders happy... but at what expense? Lack of maintenance, lack of taste, lack of the best possible entertainment... and in regards to the DVC Tower... bad taste. This building has ruined the stylish lines of the Contemporary Resort's Main building. When seen from the Seven Seas Lagoon... the view is simple horrendous. I think anyone who had to do with this terrible idea should be fired at once.
    RandySavage said it best above. There is no class at WDW anymore... so what will be next? Filthy Jackie Collins novels in the parks' gift shops?

• Rear Window=Best Movie

I agree totally. I like the idea of a DVC @ The Contemporary (my favorite resort) but I LOVE architecture and they definetly, truly could have built a more magical design. They could really do something totally creative and imaginative but again Disney dropped the ball and built another "hat". (Fellow Mice Chatters will get that last sentence)

• Minion

It's bad enough that they're ruining the skyline with this building, but they could have at least make a decent looking building. I admit, I think the Contemporary itself is pretty bad looking but at least that can be attributed to late '60's - early '70's architecture (which is pretty dreadful in my opinion.) Unfortunately, the tower has no excuse for looking so terrible.

^ That's funny you say that. That's really the only thing I do like about the tower. The fact that they have the same horizontal banding, colors, materials, etc... It's the one (and I think only) thing that relates the two structures to each other.

Other than that, I hate the tower and wish it had never been built. But it is, it will be wildly successful, and more like it will start popping up all over. sigh.
    -Tim

• Quality not quantity

A room with a view of the park is also a room that can be seen from the park. While I'm not against the idea per se I do think it calls for the utmost care in themeing and design so that it does not diminish the in park experience. From what I have heard, I don't think that happened in this case.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast