• If We Can Dream It...

Giant Bowling Alley To Be Built At Disney's Wide World of Sports (Merged)

Didn't see this posted anywhere else on Micechat yet...

This Orlando Sentinel Article states that a giant 100-lane bowling alley will be built at WWOS. It will include stadium seating and a restaurant. To be opened in 2011.

Not as exciting as a new attraction but still interesting.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    - Horizonsfan

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Re: Giant Bowling Alley To Be Built At Disney's Wide World of Sports

Jim Hill had mentioned something about this. Glad to see someone has confirmed this because you can't always believe him.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Yay!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• If We Can Dream It...

I'll be interested to see if it will be open to the public during non-tournament times. It seems stupid for Disney not to have at least a couple of lanes open.
    - Horizonsfan

• If We Can Dream It...

Here's the USBC article. It gives some more info as to what exactly will be going on there and when.
    - Horizonsfan

Twenty weeks long and drawing tens of thousands of people. Very interesting. I wonder what time of year these tournaments are held. It mentioned something about 59,000 room-nights being required for each tournament. That's going to wreak havoc on "normal" tourists.

As much as I love development at Disney, it pains me to see yet another third-party, privately funded (and I'm guessing owned) building go up on Disney property.
    -Tim

• If We Can Dream It...

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    As much as I love development at Disney, it pains me to see yet another third-party, privately funded (and I'm guessing owned) building go up on Disney property.
    I'd highly doubt that even if it is privately funded, that Disney would allow them to own it. Maybe lease it to them but, I'd doubt they could own it.
    - Horizonsfan

• back to WDW in January

Disney's Wide World of Sports is expanding its strike zone with what could be the biggest bowling stadium in the country.
    Planned for 100 lanes, stadium-style seating and a restaurant, the facility would be complete in about 18 months. When not used for tournaments, the stadium would be open to the public, Disney officials said Monday.
    "It's big. It will be big for the area," said Ray Turgeon of Winter Springs, a bowler who had heard rumors about the facility and the tournaments it will host. "For a lot of new bowlers who have not bowled in a national tournament, it would be great."
    Disney officials said an unnamed company will build and operate the 160,000-square-foot stadium, which would be used for events or open to guests except during United States Bowling Congress tournaments. The organization will bring 13 events to Central Florida starting in 2011 and running through 2029. Each tournament is played over a four- to six-month period.
    Disney officials said it was too soon to talk about the facility's name or its cost or the third party under negotiation to build it. A spokeswoman said those details might be available in a couple of months.
    The bowling mecca would be the latest addition to a growing constellation of facilities at the 220-acre Wide World of Sports that includes a basketball arena and baseball stadium -- spring-training home of the Atlanta Braves. Other sports played there include football, soccer, softball, track and field, lacrosse, volleyball, martial arts, and endurance events.
    The Disney facility would be complete in early 2010 and would host the 2011 United States Bowling Congress Open Championship -- an event guaranteed to put thousands of visitors in Osceola hotel rooms, according to a deal approved Monday.
    The tournaments are widely regarded as the world's largest participatory sporting event, said Jack Mordini, the bowling congress' vice president of tournaments and events. Mordini said members want to travel to vacation destinations like Central Florida for tournaments.
    John Berglund, executive director of the Bowling Proprietors Association of America, said the deal would be great for bowling and Disney.
    "Bowling is a tremendous family sport, and Disney is a tremendous family venue," he said.
    The deal is expected to generate $750 million for the area from 2011 through 2029, when the bowling congress will host seven open and six women's championships, the county said.
    Osceola County will pay the bowling congress, with the hopes of getting bowlers to fill rooms at struggling hotels. The county will use tourist-development taxes to pay $1 million to the USBC on the first day of active competition, with a total of about $13 million over the life of the agreement. The payments will be reduced if the number of hotel rooms booked is lower than set out in the agreement.
    Other cities in the running for the USBC tournaments were Wichita, Kan.; Tulsa, Okla.; Corpus Christi, Texas; and Reno, Nev.
    Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...tory?track=rss

• Quality not quantity

Meh. Bowling is an attraction I can't see myself ever taking advantage of. Still if it soaks up a few thousand people then that makes for less people wherever I am. Plus if I can arrange to go on a bowling tournament weekend that's an even bigger block of people taking up rooms but not queuing up for attractions in the parks.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Bowling at Disney

Disney will be opening a bowling alley in 2010. It will be huge. 100 alleys will play host to special events. When not being used by special events it will be open to the public. They are also planning a new restaurant at the site. This will be built at the Wide World of Sports Complex.

-Tim

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    I'll be interested to see if it will be open to the public during non-tournament times. It seems stupid for Disney not to have at least a couple of lanes open.
    As per FOX news this morning, it will be open to the public during non-tournament events. Disney would never have something like this sit when it could be making money.