• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking How Wood U Describe Walt Disney World To Kids, Nieces, Nephews, GrandChildren, etc

I have a toddler in my family and she's going to WDW soon enough this year....

Side note... And about the whole song and dance of how she won't remember it, there's cameras and video cameras in today's age of technology plus there are memories we adults will be creating for ourselves when we take her. Moving on.

I just keep pointing at Cinderella's Castle and using WDW images on the net and on dvd's to help describe WDW to her. She's just learning how to speak so I just point at something that is WDW like Cinderella's Castle and say "That's Disney world" and she repeats it with a smile!

But I wonder how would you all describe Walt Disney World to your own kids, to your nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc.

If you like, list their ages, names are optional and how you describe Walt Disney World to them before their first visit.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 06-09-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Mostly Harmless.

Re: How Wood U Describe Walt Disney World To Kids, Nieces, Nephews, GrandChildren, et

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Side note... And about the whole song and dance of how she won't remember it, there's cameras and video cameras in today's age of technology plus there are memories we adults will be creating for ourselves when we take her. Moving on.
    My kids were 6 months and 2 years on their 1st trip to DL and 1.5 years and 3 the next summer when we hit WDW for our first time. The pictures are worth more than anything!

As far as telling them... I can get animated sometimes and I pick out a character they will understand (Pooh for most kids) and go from there!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: How Wood U Describe Walt Disney World To Kids, Nieces, Nephews, GrandChildren, et

Is it just me or is this a duplicate thread? I could have sworn I saw the same one earlier...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Is it just me or is this a duplicate thread? I could have sworn I saw the same one earlier...
    Maybe it's one with the right spelling of "would".

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post

sorry guys I could not resist !!

ok back to the question... when I told my son, he was 3 and I showed him pics on the web, and told him his favorite friends would be in a park and he could see them and talk to them, he was thrilled. I showed him lots of video and pooh, and mickey, got him several disney movies sing along song of disneyland park, he loved them still does to this day!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The first time I took my grandson to Disney World, he was 4. We rented some videos showing the characters. He was afraid of characters at that time in his life, and I wanted him to become accustomed to seeing them, so he wouldn't be frightened. I probably did something that many of you might think was wrong, but I told him that those characters were really people acting out the part, with a costume on.

He was fine with that, and when we got to Disney World, he wasn't frightened at all. He hugged Pooh, and Mickey, and had the greatest time, especially with Goofy.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

It's where Mickey Mouse and his friends live, and magic stuff can happen there.

That's what I tell myself all the time.

But seriously, I had my son watching the Disney Sing Along video and A Day at Disneyland, to kind of give him an overview. Have a blast!
    A signature should go here.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post

sorry guys I could not resist !!
    Au contraire. It is very much on topic. In fact, it is the topic.

Before my daughters last trip (she was 15 months) I would ask her if she wanted to ride certain rides, and describe them, in which she would respond with a nod or a "yay!". I have a scrapbook of our disney adventures that she ( now 19 months) loves to look through. She gets all excited seeing it. I point to the pictures and tell her we are going to go (our next trip is in September). Its neat how little ones can grasp the excitement of disney. She claps at the disney opening before movies (I promise I didn't teach her that haha), its pretty sweet.
    Last edited by ameeg; 06-09-2008 at 06:11 PM.

• Quality not quantity

And about the whole song and dance of how she won't remember it, there's cameras and video cameras in today's age of technology plus there are memories we adults will be creating for ourselves when we take her. Moving on.
    Agreed. You will remember it, she will enjoy it while it's happening. Moving on...

But I wonder how would you all describe Walt Disney World to your own kids, to your nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc.
    I would suggest you don't even try. At this age life is one big adventure. A bug on the sidewalk can be as cool as the tree of life. Just stay in the moment with her be it in the car, on the plane or in front of the castle. Just let it unfold as it happens. It's all good.

Don't rush her up to the characters. Viewing them from a distance might be good for this first trip. Go back to the room for a long lunch break if possible. Overload is almost a certainty. Nap time will do everyone good.

Oh and if she's looking at the flowers or a buzzing bug while Pluto is dancing in font of her don't sweat it. Just let it flow.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Progressive Disneylander

I would simply describe it as "The funnest place in the world."