Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Ride Plussing: Test Track- WOM

Hi, this is actually only my second post, so sorry if it's not of the highest quality. Well, anyways, I was thinking today about the waste of space that is currently known as Test Track. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ride and all, but the actual inside portion is pretty mundane and relatively simple. It's like driving through an empty parking garage! So, I decided that it may be neat to retheme the ride and bring it back to its World of Motion roots. The track layout will be virtually unchanged, so that means the high-speed trip around the building will stay intact. But all of the interior (minus the track), the queue, the awful preshow, the postshow, the giftshop, EVERYTHING will be ripped out. Starting now will be a mock- trip through the queue and mock ride-through.

Entering the building- The new queue will not be located in a single, open space. Instead, it will weave through various rooms past different modes of transportation, all with at list a little bit of movement. The whole set-up will feel much like a museum, with the red velvet handrails and everything. After climbing the stairs, the queue continues through where the preshow rooms were before merging with the old queue. It is at this time the new ride vehicles (now dubbed "Time travellers") can first be seen. The Time travellers are virtually the same as the old cars, but are now slightly wider to accomodate 8 people rather than 6. They also feature new onboard computers, helping reduce the chance of a shutdown. Both of these new features should help increase the ride's capacity somewhat.

Boarding the Time travellers, and the seatbelt check- The vehicles still feature seatbelts like the old cars, but are now four seats deep rather than 3. The vehicles then continue to the seatbelt check, before riding up the hill that remains from TT. The ride is fully narrated, and has different video feed than before.

Down the block hill- This is where the ride becomes dramatically different from TT. You are in old-world Europe before the dawn of the automobile. Horses and carriages rule the road, and many pedestrians crowd the sidewalk. Unlike TT, you don't blast down this hill, but rather travel at a slow pace. The cars join up Omnimover-style (Think Peter pan's flight or how JII used to work, the cars made a chain one after another in the station) before proceeding to the next scene.

The first launch- The narrated voice announces that the car has been invented, and control over the road has begun to switch from the living to the machine. The vehicle suddenly launches forward, swerving past a tangled crash between a horseless carriage and a horse-pulled carriage.

The former second launch, and former hot-cold rooms- These rooms are much different. Your time traveller joins a chain of cars once more and travels across the ocean in a scene similar to the sea monster scene from the original WOM. The boat bridges the gap between Europe and America. The former hot room is now filled with steam trains and a massive map showing the railroad lines of the US. The former cold room takes the vehicles through a Ford assembly line.

The curvey track- The time traveller travels past an airplane, once again similar to the original WOM scene. The curves however, have been redressed so as to make it seem as if your time traveller has taken to the skies and is flying around the world. At the top of the cuves, where the truck used to be, is a barn which your "plane" crashes through.

The wall-crash and high speed run- The narrator describes the future of transportation, and your vehicle "launches you into the future" (actually, just around the building). As you decelerate, your vehicle arrives in the future, and you disembark into the postshow, which features some high-tech looking vehicles. You exit through a new gift shop, also themed to a museum (to tie the beginning and end of the ride together) before stepping back into Future World, ready to ride again.

Sorry that was so long. I tend to drag things out for long periods of time. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Re: Ride Plussing: Test Track- WOM

no no no

no

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Fun ideas!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• I'm A

Re: Ride Plussing: Test Track- WOM?

Nothing at Epcot that is permanent (More than 5 years). Should have the feeling of a museum. Epcot is futureworld, and while it should have roots in the past. It should be about the future of technology. I understand getting back to the roots of World of Motion.

However your sequence of scences is kind of screwy with a trip into the age of motor vehicles and then into the age of the Locomotive. I also don't understand the exact layout of scences because there seems to be whole areas that are neglected. The ABS controlled curve and the corrision chamber come to mind. Also you mention a Ford Factory Line which contradicts with the attraction's sponsor GM.

Now my issues with the ride vehicles. You would have to retrofit the whole attraction to make the vehicle four people wide as well as your omnimover ideas. Mainly the work on the load station which would have to be made wider for the rest of the vehicles. Also how do you plan to arrange the computers to reduce breakdowns. Also don't the cars have more processing power than a space shuttle so why can't they be reprogrammed to use these computer systems to do what you want.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Mostly Harmless.

Why do the ride vehicles have a 3+3 seating arrangement??? Seems kinda odd to me.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• I'm A

Because it makes the most since that you can typically put 2-3 in a car however that additional seat increases capacity.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Mostly Harmless.

yeah but most rides have an even number. (Both my cars are 2+3 though)
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

• I'm A

But this isn't a ride vehicle its a car.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Mostly Harmless.

no it's a ride vehicle that looks like a car.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    no it's a ride vehicle that looks like a car.

Yep, in fact it's the same ride as Dinosaur. - or so I have been told.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Mostly Harmless.

And Indiana Jones at DL...

• I'm A

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Yep, in fact it's the same ride as Dinosaur. - or so I have been told.

-dave
    It's not the same ride as DINOSAUR. The CTX rovers are EMV's like Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. However Test Track uses a whole other ride system retooled for use in Journey to the Center of the Earth. But Test Track is not Dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    And Indiana Jones at DL...
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Banned User

but Test Track is not Dinosaur
    And TDS' Journey is not Test Track-boring.Thank God for that.

• Mostly Harmless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast