Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Fast Pass at WDW

As far as I can determine, the FP machines at WDW are *all* networked. There is no way to "game" the system like there is at DL.

(well, apart from the inherent unfairness of a system that newcomers don't think they need... but that's a whole other argument)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    How flexible are the WDW parks on return time?
    They are pretty flexible as long as it's the SAME DAY. WDW upgraded their passes over the last year to include the bar codes and the prints the date larger than before. And while we're on the topic the ride switch passes (which run alongside FP) are being distributed less, are date/group # sensitive, etc. to help cut down on abuse on the "open market."

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    ... to help cut down on abuse on the "open market."
    Now that's what I call ironic. As I was reading your post I noticed the Micechat/Ebay ad on the same screen....

I know Micechat can't pick which ads Ebay servers up but I still think it's sad to see this type scam show up here of all places.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    As far as I can determine, the FP machines at WDW are *all* networked. There is no way to "game" the system like there is at DL.

(well, apart from the inherent unfairness of a system that newcomers don't think they need... but that's a whole other argument)
    Shameless advertising for your books.....LOL

• MiceAge Columnist

^ Not sure I follow that... none of my books are FastPass related or even aimed at helping tourists with a "touring plan"... ?

Unless you mean my long signature file that contains the book links? There I do plead guilty.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: Are the Fastpasse Machine's Tied in

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Are the Soarin Fast Passes that long these days???

I guess, because they tend to let you in on a FP even it your are past the time, if you were staying at BC/YC/BW you could pop over to EPCOT in the AM and get a Soarin' FP and then walk down to DHS for the day. Then later that evening come back and ride Soarin'.

Seems like a lot of work to me though.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Quality not quantity

Look, I have to put up with a lot. Teacups that won't spin (at dlr), glaring exit signs in dark rides, endless safety speeches, no skyway, and in all places and in all ways generally being treated like a slow to learn four year old. Why? Because of stupid/careless people.

The fastpass system is a reward for guests that don't have their head firmly lodged in their posterior. If you take 2min to figure it out, you get a reward. If you are a mindless sheeple you don't. That is a good thing.

It's also a boon to the occasional visitor like myself who at best gets one trip per year. Sure the AP'ers like to bitch a lot about the system because it does not play well to their visiting patterns such as coming in later in the afternoon but it does give everyone the same chance. If you come in later in the day then you choose not to take full advantage.

I also take offense at the term "gaming" the sytem to cover using un-networked machines. That's the way the sytem is setup. It's using it as it was designed. That's the definition of fair.

Using the little black button on the back of the fastpass machine to get extra tickets is gaming.

Printing up your own fastpasses at home is gaming.

Using the system as designed is not.
    Last edited by Moonliner; 06-12-2008 at 05:53 AM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

I also take offense at the term "gaming" the sytem to cover using un-networked machines. That's the way the sytem is setup. It's using it as it was designed. That's the definition of fair.
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with that statement. If you get a FastPass and it is printed right on the ticket, "Your next FastPass is available after 2:30", then you shouldn't even TRY to get another one until after 2:30. The only way to even know machines are "tied in" is to have tried to "game" the system by getting a FastPass earlier than permitted. One you know which machines are tied-in and ones that aren't, you ARE gaming the system, no matter what you want to say. The system was designed to allow you to have one FastPass at a time (or within the set time limit). If you exploit loopholes in the system, you're gaming it, plain and simple.
    -Tim

• MiceAge Columnist

If you take 2min to figure it out, you get a reward. If you are a mindless sheeple you don't. That is a good thing.
    I spent a good half hour last week explaining to a college professor how to tour MK, and the primacy of FastPass. He ended up not using it, thinking it wasn't necessary since lines were short. They didn't stay short later in the morning, of course, and by the time he realized he should have been getting FP, it was too late. This guy is anything but an idiot. He will run rings around you with logic. He's not some "absent minded professor."

FastPass rewards those with experience, not intelligence. It caters to repeat visitors or the hyper planners. I prefer a Disney park that caters to casual visitors too, because then the casual visitors return more often. A Disney park that does not cater to casual visitors starts to only be visited by regulars, and the incentives dwindle for them to build great new rides if it's getting by just fine with regulars. I'm trying to take a long view here, and FastPass gets in the way of that.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    ... If you exploit loopholes in the system, you're gaming it, plain and simple.
    If it was a "loophole", perhaps you might have a point. However leaving one attraction at Disneyland and one at DCA as standalone machines is a conscience decision and not a bug or other technical issue.

Granted they don't advertise it but they also don't advertise that you can hold fastpasses for both parks or get a new fastpass two hours after your last one regardless of the return time on your first fastpass.

These are all undocumented features, they are DESIGNED into the system not unplanned loopholes.

-Mark Twain

• Quality not quantity

I spent a good half hour last week explaining to a college professor how to tour MK, and the primacy of FastPass. He ended up not using it, thinking it wasn't necessary since lines were short. They didn't stay short later in the morning, of course, and by the time he realized he should have been getting FP, it was too late.
    I don't think it takes a "hyper planner" to know that lines get longer at a theme park as the day wears on. He knew the basics of the system and chose not to use it. Having the possibility of making a poor choice does not imply that the decision itself (in this case to use fastpass or not) was unfair to start with.

He will run rings around you with logic.
    I don't think a difference of opinion calls for a personal attack.

-Mark Twain

• Another trip down I-4

Fast Pass hurts everyone's overall times. Example: over the Memorial day weekend, we walked up to Space Mountain because the posted wait time said 40 minutes. As we were debating it, the cast member said 'actually it's about 25 minutes because people haven't been coming through with Fast Pass."

15 minutes isn't a big deal until you keep adding it up on every fast pass ride - it's annoying and a robbed experience for some guests depending on the ride - some queues are wonderfully detailed - unless you go through Fast Pass and it's a dark back corridor. Ugh.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Fast Pass at WDW

The fastpass system is a reward for guests that don't have their head firmly lodged in their posterior. If you take 2min to figure it out, you get a reward. If you are a mindless sheeple you don't. That is a good thing.
    Hear Hear!! FP is one of the greatest theme park innovations of all time.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Banned User

I just wanted to add this sentiment: Fastpass is a virus and affects the psyche of guests into believing it is a good thing. DEATH to FP!! Go back to the old ways.. 1st come, 1st serve. STOP the lazyness.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I just wanted to add this sentiment: Fastpass is a virus and affects the psyche of guests into believing it is a good thing. DEATH to FP!! Go back to the old ways.. 1st come, 1st serve. STOP the lazyness.
    Humm, no I think making every attraction Fastpass only would be a better solution. That way guests would have to be in the park by 10:00am in order to ride anything but the Mark Twain. Which of course would result in more food and drink sales, better bottom line etc....

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast