• Minion

Exclamation The Living Seas News: What to Expect in 2005/2006

Although I wasn't able to give the building the farewell it deserves, this news with permission granted from D-Troops HQ...
    The Living Seas Rehab - August 31 - Late November (27th? 30th)

Essentially, the Living Seas will be shut down for two major change phases.

Phase one: August-November 2005 - the refurbishment of main Seabase Alpha
    Phase two: 2005 - ? 2006 - the change to the current preshow areas

In November, guests will likely be routed through the current Living Seas exit area and into the Living Seas seabase. It is likely that the hydrolators will be removed as this will most likely serve as the main entrance to the building. A brand new sign will be erected, perhaps with a similar splash effect but with some nice modifications.

It is my guess that the main modules - Find Nemo, Bruce's Sub Shack, and Turtle Talk with Crush - will likely remain. Further "modernization" and "Nemofication" will likely be brought into the upper modules, as well as the manatee areas on both levels. New carpeting, new painting, the works. Nemo and friends will definitely step in with film/character-inspired artwork that will appear throughout the building.

I find the rumor of the hydrolators closing as unfortunate. Think about it - how much imagination went into creating and building them. You'll find posts today of people asking if they actually went up and down - it's so effective and required a lot of know-how and brain power. What I *really* want to see in this project is new brain-power and a great way for us to "enter the sea" (and not an aquarium). So for that, we'll have to wait a few months.

Okay, so it's November 2005, and you find yourself loving the new Living Seas. But that's only half the building open for you. . .

In 2006, the Finding Nemo ride will likely open to guests. Because the new fiscal year is coming up, it might be that new money will be pumped in for this project alone, making the entire building's budget just right for good show quality. It is rumored that the old ride track (Sea Cabs) will be replaced with about 80-100 ft. of new track added. Already, crews have probably already begun knocking down walls in the preshow area in order to clear space for queue area and other story elements for the ride. The inspired artwork and artifacts in the first queue line may not make it, but perhaps ONE of the two theaters (perhaps the one unused right now) may stay intact for some form of theater show or preshow film for the ride. At least one will likely be demolished. The track for the ride might extend into what was the pavilion's gateway into the hydrolators/preshow at the building's closing.

It is undetermined if the ride will keep the current vehicles, or if they will have totally new ones (for safety reasons), and this could help explain the "new track" rumor. Because the Nemo hollograms will likely have audio, will vehicles be dispatched individually or in groups? Who knows, maybe the Rocket Rods will find a home disguised as sea exploration vehicles. But that came out of "the blue." The ride (which was at one point going to be a walk-through in more recent concepts) will be INSANELY popular... so will Fastpass be brought on? There's room for the setup...

Show quality? I doubt we'll find a single speaker stickin' out in sight. At The Land, the planning began with Soarin' (which began construction in August of 2003) and THEN the Land pavilion (January 2005) and most of the funding was not in the food court/atrium area, but rather in the Soarin' section, which turned out absolutely brilliant. Even the roofing is pristine and adds to the show quality. But because so much was pumped in there, it seems like the team was crunching for budget, which might account for the visible speakers and cheaper fencing materials, as well as the generic theming of Seasons. (The larger portion of the atrium/food court budget went into knocking everything old out and replacing the floors!)

Here at The Living Seas, it's rumored that the old Spaceship Earth rehab funds (SSE originally scheduled to close this year at some point in time) are being pumped into the project. And then a new budget for 2006 will clear the way for better show quality and enjoyment of the ride, ensuring a good, solid refreshening throughout the whole building. As for Spaceship Earth, a new sponsor might be able to fund that refurbishment -- hopefully!

But overall, great things might be coming out of this project. I once again stress the need for Disney to address the actual, factual, and perhaps even historical aspects of sea and man's interaction with it. Nemo and Dory and pals can be great hosts, but they need to be telling an important story about the seas and mankind's quests -- Epcot has a dedication plaque. The design team is a great one I hear, and so long as the facts are hosted by the fantasy, the Living Seas message can be translated to guests in a more effective means than ever!

• ROFLCOPTER

Re: The Living Seas News: What to Expect in 2005/2006

Thanks for the info.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• ROFLCOPTER

In my opinion, Nemo and Dory are very realistic fish with a caartoon-ish touch. They could Narate a movie about the coral reef and seas. In fact, they already have (just Dory), Its on the DVD extras of Finding Nemo. It is very funny and educational. Or they can make it into a giant Finding Nemo gift shop.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Disney Memory Maker

TLS is one of the few things in WDW I could honestly care less about. The only part I liked was the preshow, and that wasn't because it was good, but rather because it was cheesy (and it rained...and rained...and rained). Turtle Talk was definately a good addition to the pavilion because at least it was fun (and I now know 5 different ways to say dude)

Anything they do to it will be an improvement.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

I agree the hydrolators portion was fun going "down" but they dropped the ball atthe exit where you are sitting in a room with no sense of going "up" before leaving the building. If they can not fix this (and I am sure they won't spend the money to do this) then pull the plug on the hydrolator scenes.

Also it would be nice if they ran the sea cabs and added scenes similar to those being added to the DL submarine ride which could be viewed thru the windows as you ride by them... that would be cool.

I liked the hydrolaters originally and thought they were quite effective in the traveling to a future seabase storyline. Unfortunately, the whole pavilion was allowed to get old and decay.

I have no problem with them adding the Nemo characters if the educational aspect remains and they truly do reopen the cabs (and actually add some more sealife to the tank) ... now if it's all dumbed down to the level of a five-year-old then duuuuuuude, I might be like chaaaaar the Imagineers went all Dory and forgot what the place was supposed to be about to begin with.

• Banned User

without sponsor it takes disney a bit to make them fix a pavilion.. TLS had a great tie in with nemo and they used it... Life has no tie in thus allowed to close... (Mission space was tied in with mission to mars movie loosely..)

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

So General, I have a basic question for you. This is the first I've heard about the Nemo holigram type stuff going into the seacab section. But I've heard plenty about these going into the new sub attraction at DL. So my question is this - is there a chance that the rumor mill has mixed these two attractions up? Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to see all that new stuff happening in the Living Seas. I'm just surprised that the general internet has heard nothing about this level of rehab till now. You're in a much better position to know than me, so please elucidate and enlighten me!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Huh. I never understand theses rumors about moving the entrance exit. I have faith in the Imagineers of the 80s and I do believe that where they put the entrance works best. I think it will be a bit odd to have to walk around the building a bit to get to the entrance now.
    As far as the Hydrolators. They were okay going down but coming up was blah. Though I think they need to keep some sensation of going under the sea and not into an aquarium.
    Nemo ride sounds fun...but that is a whole lot of space to use if they use the old preshow/queue area. That will be one massive ride.

• Disney Memory Maker

Well, they would just need to change the layout on the outside of the pavilion. It wouldn't be that hard to make the entrance and exits spit.

Also, I don't think I ever gave this pavilion a true "farewell." So here is my official farewell to the Living Seas (quoted from My Wife and Kids)...so long sucker, see ya, bon voyage, arrivederci, later loser, goodbye, good riddance, peace out, let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya, don't come back around here no more, hasta la vista, kick rocks, and get the hell out.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Interesting stuff General. Thank you!!!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Mentat

The Loss of the Hydrolators would be a terrible thing...