Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    great white north
    Posts
    47

    what time does monorail and ferry start?

    i am going to take the steam train tour at the magic kingdom in september. the reservation desk told us to be at the main gate at 7:15 am. i am not staying on property i will be staying at the hilton grand vacations club on international drive. i have a rental car but i am wondering where should i park and should i take the monorail or the ferry? and what time in the morning do they start to operate? thanks

  2. #2

    • Geoff London
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Splash Mountain - WDW - London
    Posts
    996

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Park transportation begins approximately 1.0 hour prior to that park's opening times and all transportation runs until approximately 1 hour after the parks close. Given that MK may open to the public at 8:00 a.m. then monorails and buses would start around 7:00 a.m. That's not going to give you enough time to use it for your Steam Train Tour. Drive in and park up at the Contemporary Hotel (the top end nearest to the park). From International Drive it should take you 30 minutes to the Contemporary Here's a great road map of the WDW area:
    http://www.disney.co.uk/usa-resorts/...pdf/wdwmap.pdf

    It's quite a large file so allow it to download fully (992 KB)
    The MK and Contemporary are to the top left quarter of the map.
    All in all I'd allow a good hour for your car and foot journey.
    If you quote your booking ref to the security guys they will be more than happy to let you stay there.(We actually left the car there all day whilst we did the park and there was no problem.) It's then about a brisk 10 minute walk - 20 if you stroll. Cross over from the car park to the other side of the road. Follow the monorail piers towards the MK entrance.(You'll pass the bus station on your left). We had to meet by the huge "flower pot". Don't worry a train engineer will come to find you and issue you with a name badge. One thing about this tour is that you get to see an empty park - a weird sight. Also a train will pull into Main Street station and will stop immediately under the station sign - the do this especially for you so have that camera ready. We've done this tour and I can guarantee you'll have a great time. At the end you'll receive a unique pin - only given to those who have taken this tour.
    Last edited by geoffa; 06-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !



  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    I would call 407-WDW-TOUR again and ask them for a recommendation as well. The security guards at the Contemporary are QUITE strict about parking there now that they've lost some parking to the DVC construction site. Unless you are staying at the resort or have a reservation for a restaurant in the hotel, it's very hard to get in the parking lot. We've experienced this a lot lately. So, if the tour people tell you to park there, you can use that when talking to the security guard.

    And just in case you were wondering, the guard house actually has a list of all daily reservations for the resort AND dining establishments. If you're not on the list, you better have a good excuse for parking there and a really friendly security guard.
    -Tim

  4. #4

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    great white north
    Posts
    47

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Thanks for the info!

  5. #5

    • back to WDW in January
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    971

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I would call 407-WDW-TOUR again and ask them for a recommendation as well. The security guards at the Contemporary are QUITE strict about parking there now that they've lost some parking to the DVC construction site. Unless you are staying at the resort or have a reservation for a restaurant in the hotel, it's very hard to get in the parking lot. We've experienced this a lot lately. So, if the tour people tell you to park there, you can use that when talking to the security guard.

    And just in case you were wondering, the guard house actually has a list of all daily reservations for the resort AND dining establishments. If you're not on the list, you better have a good excuse for parking there and a really friendly security guard.
    I second that emotion. Without a reservation for a restaurant at the Contemporary you will not be allowed to park there ... period. Those days are gone. And any parking voucher you do get is limited to a couple of hours to ensure you do not abuse the privledge.

    We too have the same concern but our Train tour is in July and I have yet to get a really good answer from Disney on the best way to be sure we are there on time. One suggestion was that we take a cab, which can let you off at the Park Entrance.
    We have tried parking in the MK lot first thing in the AM but the Monorail never started early enough - buses would always seem to get there first.

    If anyone else has had experience with this or a suggestion please post.

  6. #6

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    I've taken a cab in the past though and had them drop me at the Contemporary with no problem. The walk to the Kingdom isn't that much farther than the further bus stop, especially if you get the cabbie to let you off in the parking lot vice the entrance. I also had one cabbie go through the gate, do a U-turn, come back out the exit and let me out right at the curb.

    You could also try the same thing with parking in the parking lot. When you get to the TTC, just take a cab. But I wouldn't bet on that without calling Disney information first.

  7. #7

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    great white north
    Posts
    47

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    The cab is a good idea but is there somewhere close that i can park such as the magic kingdom lot? is it open that early, the day i am there the magic kingdom opens at 9am? are there cabs at that lot ready to take customers? or do i take the cab from my hotel thats all the way over on international drive? how much would the cab fare be for that long distance? thanks for the info Rob

  8. #8

    • враг народа
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,989
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    The resort monorail should be running that early. There are a lot of early morning activities that take place at the resorts on Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom.

    I've been allowed to park at the Magic Kingdom as early as 6:30 AM.

  9. #9

    • Geoff London
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Splash Mountain - WDW - London
    Posts
    996

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I would call 407-WDW-TOUR again and ask them for a recommendation as well. The security guards at the Contemporary are QUITE strict about parking there now that they've lost some parking to the DVC construction site. Unless you are staying at the resort or have a reservation for a restaurant in the hotel, it's very hard to get in the parking lot. We've experienced this a lot lately. So, if the tour people tell you to park there, you can use that when talking to the security guard.

    And just in case you were wondering, the guard house actually has a list of all daily reservations for the resort AND dining establishments. If you're not on the list, you better have a good excuse for parking there and a really friendly security guard.
    Whilst I take on board what you're saying I'm only talking about LAST October. We were told to quote our booking reference to the guards. That we did and we had no problems. Construction on the new DVC units had already begun. The guards asked us to park in a ceratin area and there was no parking voucher involved. Wouldn't hurt to check with bookings again and see what they say. Can't see why Disney would start tours so early and not allow you to get at least somewhere near the venue.
    Last edited by geoffa; 06-20-2008 at 03:47 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !



  10. #10

    • making magic is fun!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    316

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    I second that emotion. Without a reservation for a restaurant at the Contemporary you will not be allowed to park there ... period. Those days are gone. And any parking voucher you do get is limited to a couple of hours to ensure you do not abuse the privledge.

    We too have the same concern but our Train tour is in July and I have yet to get a really good answer from Disney on the best way to be sure we are there on time. One suggestion was that we take a cab, which can let you off at the Park Entrance.
    We have tried parking in the MK lot first thing in the AM but the Monorail never started early enough - buses would always seem to get there first.

    If anyone else has had experience with this or a suggestion please post.
    so true
    I was sad to see they were getting rid of the trees out front. I loved them all lit up at night.
    Kelly

  11. #11

    • back to WDW in January
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    971

    Re: what time does monorail and ferry start?

    Quote Originally Posted by robsmustang View Post
    The cab is a good idea but is there somewhere close that i can park such as the magic kingdom lot? is it open that early, the day i am there the magic kingdom opens at 9am?
    The MK parking lot is open quite early, before 7:00am as posted earlier but then you still need to get from there to the actual park and that requires taking either a Monorail or Boat.
    The Express Monorail doesn't always open or pull out by 7:00am and we have occasionally had to wait until approx. 7:15am before it left the TTC.
    The Resort Monorails seemed to open a bit earlier but then of course they stopped at each of the resorts along the way adding time to the trip.

    Anyone know how much it would cost for a cab from the Epcot Resort Area to the MK or the Contemporary?
    I am sure that the hotel could make the arrangements for an early morning cab pickup from a WDW hotel.

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] When does halloween time start?
    By TinkDisney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
  2. What time does dinner start?
    By Chickles in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 05:05 PM
  3. Time To Start Thinking About Halloween Already!!!
    By WatchYourHeadNStep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM
  4. Monorail and ferry capacity
    By Thriller in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 09:40 AM
  5. T -7 Days, time to start packing...
    By Moonliner in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 03:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •