Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Driving Cross Country to WDW....

How many have done it, and what was it like?

The wife and I are booked in October for two weeks and we are really, really considering driving cross country. This would be truly cross country. (Spokane Washington to Orlando).

We have 5 days in front of our check in and 5 days behind our check out to return to work. We have always thought of doing a cross country trip and wondered if any of you have done it. With Plane ticket prices the way they are, we figured that even with gas at 4.25 a gallon we would be spending the exact same amount if we flew and rented a care like usual.

So who has done it?

-D

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Re: Driving Cross Country to WDW....

I've done it twice from LA....never again. It's just too far, and I like to drive. Plus, I cannot imagine what it would cost in gas today. It has to be cheaper to fly....I'm flying to NY for the 4th of July and it's much cheaper for me to fly than it would be to drive. At over $80.00 a tank full....no way...But good luck, what ever you decide to do.

• Minion

The nice thing about driving across country is getting the chance to see a lot of things, but with only 5 days, you won't have any time to stop and enjoy it. I'd rather spend the money and fly.
    I want my cake back!

• Too far from Disney World

Are there any other things you might want to see along the way? If so, and if you guys like road trips, go for it. We drive from Ohio, but that is NOWHERE hear as far as you'll be driving!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• For a new Gotham!

Eek, I wouldn't want to look forward to a five day drive home after going to Disney World. How many days are you going to be there?

• Banned User

no way!! fly. the country would be awsome to see if you have 10 days, but 5 ? no way.

• DCAfan!!

First off, Spokane!? No Way...my aunt lives there. Or she used to.

Anyways...flying would be better. I have road tripped from Chicago to Orlando twice. It took days days each way, and that was without stopping for anything besides a nights sleep, gas, food, and the occasional rest area.

Blog Entries

I think you should rent a car and drive there and then fly back..

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

•   

I've done the drive from LA to Orlando on several occasions. I can do it in 2 1/4 days, but that means driving for 16 or 17 hours on the first two days. I usually try to drive from LA to Fort Stockton, TX then to Pensacola and then to Orlando on the final day. Spokane is only 260 miles farther from Orlando than LA is, so you could easily do the drive in 3 14 hour days.

My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon so it's much, much cheaper for me to fly then it is to drive. Sometimes I can even find discounted first class seats for the price of coach so flying is definitely the way to go.

Because of Disney's Magical Express, car rental rates at OIA have risen dramatically. Consider flying into Tampa and renting a car there. You can save money on car rental rates at that airport.

Or, consider flying into Miami and spending some of the before and after days touring Florida and the Keys. Florida is so much more than WDW. It would be a shame to miss it if you have the time.

Often it is the same price to fly into different airports in Florida (as long as they are the major airports). So you could fly into Miami and leave from Tampa. Most car rental companies in Florida do not charge one way rates when dropping off a car at a different airport - as long as it's still in Florida.

I'm planning on making the drive from SF to WDW in August so I can have a car there for my time in the college program. Im giving myself 7 days to get there, and thats including a full day in Austin TX and a full day in New Orleans.

I really like to drive though, so I dont think the distance will bother me all that much. If you're not a big driving fan (or a fan of stilling still for 12+ hrs/day) then I would probably recommend flying.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

oh PLEASE fly! i'd hate to find out here that you were half way through your road trip wishing and regretting you'd flew instead.

Just fly if possible. OR

Drive half way to an airport and then grab a cheaper flight somewhere in the middle, leave your car there at that airport... get the best of both worlds.

I noticed that there are some real cheap tx city flights to orlando but they are in another city and i'd have to drive there to get the deal. No great deals for dallas to orlando, and the way the gas prices have been lately I'm considering driving to a neighboring city to just get that plane deal.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I have done a 12 day road trip and it was an experience I will never forget! I flew from CA to my best friend who was in Washington DC and from there we went to NY then shot down to WDW then started back to CA with stops in New Orleans, Texas, New Mexico, The Grand Canyon, and then made it back home to CA..

Here's our trip summed up in a music video made by me

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2614678

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Drive half way to an airport and then grab a cheaper flight somewhere in the middle, leave your car there at that airport... get the best of both worlds.
    That's a great idea. I would also suggest not driving.

• Banned User

Yeah, we had some family friends that drove from SoCal to Scranton, PA in 3 days, stopping only for gas. I'm not a huge fan of driving to be honest. My longest drive so far is 8 hours or so during our trip to Dallas/For Worth. We are going to be driving to WDW this September, which will be about 13 hours.

I would definitely try to get a flight if I were you.

• Defying gravity

We drove from far West Texas to Orlando in July 2004. It was HOT, HUMID, AND MISERABLE. Please, please, fly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast