Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

How much time do I have, doc? [Space Mountain Closing Date]

Specifically, how much time do I have to ride Space Mountain at WDW's MK? Does anyone have up to date info on when that ride will likely be closing for its massive refurb? We are planning a trip to Orlando in the fall/winter, and would like to ride the old fashioned SM one (or three or four) last time(s). Thanks!

• I'm A

Re: How much time do I have, doc?

January 2009. There was a thread that our resident SM CM SpaceJunk Posted here.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Banned User

Re: How much time do I have, doc?

Thanks for the quick response, D.F. That's good news; I was worried it would be in October or Sept.

Re: How much time do I have, doc? [Space Mountain Closing Date]

Woooooooooooooooooo

It will still be there in October.

I have not rode it yet

I rode the updated one in Disneyland Paris and can now compare

YaaaaaaaaaaaY

Man what is going on!!!!! Is WDW as bad as DL was around the late 90's into 2000??? We are going in Oct. and I'm already not happy because Country Bear Jamorbee is going to be closed, was looking so forward to seeing that cheezy, funny show again......

• May the F=ma be with you

That's it. We decided to cancel our trip because Space Mountain will be closed when we are there. It's not right that Disney closes such a great and popular attraction. They have no idea what they are doing and don't deserve our money. I can save my family $3000 by going to Great Adventure instead of WDW. Same quality anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Banned User

so besides dino whirl, country bears , what else is down this Noivember?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    That's it. We decided to cancel our trip because Space Mountain will be closed when we are there. It's not right that Disney closes such a great and popular attraction. They have no idea what they are doing and don't deserve our money. I can save my family $3000 by going to Great Adventure instead of WDW. Same quality anyway.
    Yeah, because in the whole WDW resort, the only good ride is Space Mountain. Plus, why make the ride better instead of letting it fall apart. They should never, ever close any ride for refurbishment.

Go ahead, go to "Great Adventure"; it's sooooo much nicer (rolls eyes).
    "We are the change we've been waiting for! Yes we can!"

• Banned User

uh, sarcasm or reality?
    Last edited by stitchon; 07-26-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Your cancelling your trip because of a rumor you've read on the internet, including this site? Ok If you really think Great Adventure can offer you the same value as WDW's with or without Space Mountain.......

Honestly though, I do hope its true. I actually agree with you, WDW is totally losing site of what they are doing and don't deserve the attendance numbers (and the money that comes with that attendance) that it gets. Fantasmic going to Monday and Thursdays is an example of that. MK's lackluster Fantasyland is another example. Space Mountain however, is not. The attraction simply does not "wow" like it did in 1975. It has gone through many changes during it lifespan. That said the basic ride experience, while clearly not identical to 1975, has for the most part gone unchanged since it opened.

After its massive redo, Disneyland's Space Mountain is definately become a WOW experience once again. And when it closed, while still popular and great, it just wasn't "Disney Great" anymore. After it reopened, it clearly was again not just a roller coaster in the dark, but an amazing Disney experience. Change can be a good thing, and this, IF they do it, is a good thing. Honestly, they should have done it long time ago. Why didn't they.... I would guess money was the first reason, and the second, guest feedback that is exactly like yours above.... "I'm not going if you close it".

But when the number of guests coming off the attraction who aren't that impressed with the experience begins to greatly out number the guests who are excited about the experience.... well something happen. Poeple go on it because its a roller coaster, and not because its a fantasic Disney Attraction. A roller coaster at Disney will always be a popular attraction, but that doesn't make it a Disney Attraction that continues to "WOW" its guests day in and day out. If they do this, Space Mountain will once again be amoung the top reason to book a trip to WDW. And while I know your cancelling your trip because of space mountain closing for refurbishment, (again only a rumor as this time last year everyone said it was going to happen in January 2008), I honestly don't think that many guests book a trip to WDW JUST for and ONLY for Space Mountain. But judging from the huge spike in attendence at Animal Kingdom, thats exactly what they did for Expedition Everest.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Yeah, because in the whole WDW resort, the only good ride is Space Mountain. Plus, why make the ride better instead of letting it fall apart. They should never, ever close any ride for refurbishment.

Go ahead, go to "Great Adventure"; it's sooooo much nicer (rolls eyes).
    I echo what stichcon just said. Rides need to be refurbished. It is apart of theme park ways, especially Disney's. Yes, rides need to be refubished.

And If space Mountain is closed, there a plenty of other fun rides to enjoy.
    Last edited by DisneyPro; 07-25-2008 at 08:21 PM.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Does anyone know how long the refurb is supposed to take?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ummm... guys? WDW Monorail was being sarcastic.

And Space Mountain in its current state is terrifying and does not feel safe. It hasn't had an update in many years. It's bumpy, rickety and I'm scared it's going to fall apart before it closes for rehab. Do you remember they closed Disneyland's Space Mountain earlier than planned for its rehab because they found bad stress fractures in the track? That thing was ready to collapse at any given moment.

Smile Re: How much time do I have, doc? [Space Mountain Closing Date]

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    I echo what stichcon just said. Rides need to be refurbished. It is apart of theme park ways, especially Disney's. Yes, rides need to be refubished.

And If space Mountain is closed, there a plenty of other fun rides to enjoy.
    I'm sorry, didn't you detect the sarcasm in my post? Lol, I was trying to be as irrational as the original post. I agree with the cooler heads that understand the need of WDW to close and refurb rides from time to time. Maybe italics would have emphasized my sarcasm; sorry for the misunderstanding.
    "We are the change we've been waiting for! Yes we can!"

• Ready to be there NOW !

It's certainly not woth cancelling a trip, but it is a disappointment to go to Walt Disney World and not be able to ride Space Mountain. We're hoping to go next summer ('09), and I was hoping to ride it. Oh well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast