Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey Says ...

Survey Says ...

I took part in a very interesting survey this afternoon that was commissioned by either Disney, Universl or Busch (or possibly, but doubtfully, the Orlando visitors bureau).

It was trying to gauge whether people would visit the parks owned by the three majors under various economic criteria, tested knowledge of upcoming attractions at all resorts and offered some interesting tidbits that you can easily read in to mean 'Roadtrip may not be worried about gas prices and the economy, but we sure as hell are.'

One area focused on possible ticket offers (all were based on annual/seasonal type tickets) for later this year.

For example (and I tried to copy the survey pages, but they wouldn't so I took some notes) they offered the following:

A WDW AP for $349 WITH a $50 FREE GAS card included;a $199 Universal AP with a $50 Uni gift card or a $199 Universal AP with a second for half price; a WDW seasonal pass for $204.99 with a $25 Disney Gift Card AND *** a preview of the MK's 'Upside Down, Inside Out Coaster' ***

Yep ... I have no idea what that is. I know Disney isn't building a new coaster. All I can think is that is either a mistake or some code for the revamp of Space Mountain (which I have been told may have been tabled).

It also offered nine different comparisons of three ticket offers, one from Disney, one from Universal, one from Busch. It asked which one you preferred and then asked would you likely buy the one you picked.

A few examples of that were:

A Sea World AP for $108.99 with a $25 gas card and admittance to a taping of Wheel of Fortune OR a Universal Premier AP with $10 gift card for $279.99 OR a WDW seasonal pass at 15.00 off ($254.99).

Another choice of three offered the following:

A WDW seasonal pass with $35 Disney gift card and American Idol preview for $239.99; OR a UNI Preferred AP with a $5 discount and guaranteed preview of the new Hollywood Rip, Ride and Rock-It Coaster for $184.99; OR a Sea World AND Aquatica AP with $45 gas card and admittance to a holiday concert series including Manheim Steamroller and Beach Boys for $169.99.

One last choice of three given was:

A SW/Aquatica AP for $134.99 with $25 off plus a preview of Manta, the new mega-coaster; OR a UNI Power Pass (no parking) with a $50 gass card and guaranteed preview of the Wizard World of Harry Potter for $109.99 OR a WDW AP with $30 gift card for $369.99.

The survey also tested knowledge of every new attraction of the past two years (actually longer since it did include PhilharMagic) and attractions yet to open at all three resorts. I also found it interesting that it included the updated SSE.

It asked you to rate them if you had been on them or would they drive attendance if you hadn't with the new things such as TSMM, Simpsons, and even American Idol.

Again, I'm trying to find out who commissioned the survey, but it did seem rather ... desperate in tone.

ALL of the special ticket offers were talked of being offered 'at the holidays' ... so I'm wondering if this is the first hint of massive discounting and offers to get people to O-Town.

Thoughts?

• World Traveler

Re: Survey Says ...

I think the hotels are also going to have to offer very good discount rates to get people to travel more.

• Defying gravity

WDW already offers free dining during August/September. Their Magic Your Way Tickets make the cost between a 5 day and 10 day park hopper negligible. Value resorts can be as low as $59 a night during the off season and SSR and OKW studios are often sharply discounted as well. IMO, WDW can be a very affordable vacation.

The problem, which I believe keeps many from taking more vacations to WDW, is GAS PRICES. Airline tickets keep getting higher and higher, and driving doesn't seem to be any cheaper. I don't see that WDW can do anything to solve this.

Oh, one other item I forgot, but it asked which parks you would visit if you could go for $30 per ticket.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Oh, one other item I forgot, but it asked which parks you would visit if you could go for $30 per ticket.
    As in $30 for one day?

• Pilot EdForceOne

the coaster reference was likely just a way to substitute saying 'going to see the latest attraction you have not seen yet'. Its guaging how the lure of a new attraction, including exclusive or preview access affects customer thresholds.

Like...
    'if I gave you 30% off a ticket, would you vist the park next week?'
    'if I gave you a 30% off a ticket, and gave you VIP access to the new attraction to open next week, would you go?'

That's the gist but using more blunt language
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm A

Some of these questions are probably biased coming from a Disney Fan though.
    Visit

Click the Banner

To tell you the absolute truth, I doubt that this survey was administered by anyone having to do with Disney, Universal, or Busch Gardens/Sea World.

If I was a gambling man (and by some sheer coincidence, I am) then I would put money on this survey being administered Byyyy.....

UCF Presents:

Rosen College Twits and the Survey of the Summer Project

• I'm A

I meant the answers.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Circle of Ancients

It's an interesting survey to say the least.

But I agree with DisneyPrincess4590. It's not the cost of park tickets or even hotels that's going to get you. You can already get a week for a family four for around $2000, sometimes even less. It's when your airfare is going to cost you as much, if not more than the cost of hotel/park-tickets for a week that people don't care for.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Interesting, I want to take surveys like this! LOL I think it's obvious the impact the economy is having on tourism, regardless of who hosted the survey.

However, I would like to know, mainly because you have to wonder if Disney had a hand in it at all, to possibly offer some of the spiffs with buying tickets.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Survey Says ...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    The problem, which I believe keeps many from taking more vacations to WDW, is GAS PRICES.
    It's certainly the most obvious. The thing is, though, that gas prices will ultimately affect everything else. As just one example, those hot dogs don't walk from the slaughterhouse to WDW.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    As in $30 for one day?
    Yes. $30 for a one-day ticket to any Disney, Uni or Busch park in Central FLA.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    the coaster reference was likely just a way to substitute saying 'going to see the latest attraction you have not seen yet'. Its guaging how the lure of a new attraction, including exclusive or preview access affects customer thresholds.

Like...
    'if I gave you 30% off a ticket, would you vist the park next week?'
    'if I gave you a 30% off a ticket, and gave you VIP access to the new attraction to open next week, would you go?'

That's the gist but using more blunt language
    I dunno ... because EVERY other example was based on things actually opening in 2008-09 ... from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to American Idol to Manta ... so I am hesitant to believe they just made something up for the MK, though it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorvian View Post
    Some of these questions are probably biased coming from a Disney Fan though.

I'm not quite sure what to make of your comment ... I am a fan of Disney, Universal and Busch's parks.

They made up the questions, and the ones I listed are verbatim from the survey.

I answered them truthfully based upon my opinions. Most of the ticket deals were far better at Sea World/Aquatica and Universal than at Disney, although to be fair I pay the absolute lowest price possible for a Disney AP as a charter subscriber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast