Thread: My August Trip

• Addicted to Disneyhol

My August Trip

Hi all! First Id like to say I love this site and Im on it all the time. Im going to WDW 8/4-8/11 and I have some questions. I knew all of you would probably have some of the best advice. I read the WDW for DLR vets thread and loved it. But there a couple of things Id like to still ask.
    First, are there any must be FastPassed rides? Like Splash Mountain at DL must be FPed while a FP for BTMRR or Buzz would a waste.
    Second, being from So Cal, the time difference might be a problem. We have the dining plan and a 6pm dinner for us is 9pm there. Are the restaurants open late?
    And lastly, for now anyways, Ive been having a hard time deciding where to eat and when. Are there any recommendations? They say I should make reservations, but that has turned out to be quite difficult for me.
    Thanks in advanced for all of you who help me. It is greatly appreciated.

• Defying gravity

Re: My August Trip

Quote Originally Posted by redjag View Post
    First, are there any “must be FastPassed” rides? Like Splash Mountain at DL “must be FPed” while a FP for BTMRR or Buzz would a waste. 9
    It really just depends on the day/time. While Splash Mountain usually has a long wait, there were a couple times last month I was able to walk right on with a 10 or 15 minute wait. Space Mountain usually has a long line, but being from So Cal and presumably having gone to DL on multiple occasions, you can just skip it! In Epcot, FP for Soarin' is usually a must. Again, however, you might also want to skip it, as it is the same as DCA's with an inferior queue. FP is usually needed for Test Track. In the Studios, FP would be helpful for Rockin' Roller Coaster and TSMM (depending on whether the waits have gone down since it first opened.) FP is almost always needed for Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Kali River Rapids. Again, take all of this with a grain of salt - it all depends on crowd conditions, weather, etc.

Second, being from So Cal, the time difference might be a problem. We have the dining plan and a 6pm dinner for us is 9pm there. Are the restaurants open late?
    And lastly, for now anyways, I’ve been having a hard time deciding where to eat and when. Are there any recommendations? They say I should make reservations, but that has turned out to be quite difficult for me.
    Thanks in advanced for all of you who help me. It is greatly appreciated.
    I'm from Texas on mountain time, and the 2 hour time difference has never been a problem for me apart from the first day. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Restaurants generally are open late. Epcot closes at 9pm and the last reservation for Le Cellier is at 8:50pm.

These are some places I enjoy eating at, although I KNOW others can give more detailed restaurant advice:

Magic Kingdom
    counter service:
    - Pecos Bill's
    - Columbia Harbor House

Epcot
    counter service:
    - Sunshine Seasons
    - Tangerine Cafe (Morocco)
    - Yakitori House (Japan)
    - Sommerfest (Germany)
    table service:
    - Le Cellier
    - Nine Dragons

Studios

I really would avoid eating here if at all possible.

Animal Kingdom
    counter service:
    - Flame Tree
    table service:
    - Yak and Yeti

This is a helpful site
    http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm#epc

Good luck planning!

• Banned User

First, are there any “must be FastPassed” rides? Like Splash Mountain at DL “must be FPed” while a FP for BTMRR or Buzz would a waste.
    Currently, the 'must FP or bust!' ride are: EPCOT's Test Track and Soarin', and DHS' Toy Story Mania. Those are the longest stand by lines at WDW right now.
    I’ve been having a hard time deciding where to eat and when. Are there any recommendations?
    Citricos, The Flying Fish, Teppan Edo, and O'Hana. Oh next time, I suggest you have dinner at 3pm Pacific time.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-29-2008 at 08:00 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Growing up, my family ate dinner around 5pm. These days, I eat anytime between 6pm-8pm. Only time I eat around 5pm now is if I skipped lunch and I'm really hungry.

• Addicted to Disneyhol

Thanks guys! This info is great! I was planning on skipping the things I know are exactly the same as what we have here. Which is really only Soarin' and TSMM. Are there others? I wasn't really planning on doing TSMM unless I had done everything else. My friend won and I won a day for the preview at DCA, so I've done it many times. (Love it by the way. 240,700 points is my top score). The attractions that are similar and often up for the "best" debate I really want to do so I can make up my own mind.

How's the SciFi Drive In something or other in DHS? It sounded interesting.

• Defying gravity

How's the SciFi Drive In something or other in DHS? It sounded interesting.
    Sci Fi Dine In. Interesting...maybe...good food...not so much. There are better table service alternatives in the Studios.

• Banned User

I would skip the Sci-Fi restaurant. It's all about the novelty of sitting in a restaurant that resembles a drive theater and not really about the quality of the food, which is not all that considering how much they charge for it and the novelty.

• Yes?

When it comes to dining at DHS, for a table service meal I suggest Brown Derby. Great quality and service is what I have experienced there. Hollywood and Vine is good as well but the only time I have eaten there was during a Playhouse Disney character lunch. They had some really nice choices for the adults like salmon and merlot chicken along with the kids offerings. And I agree with TDLFan about Sci-Fi....skip it. The novelty of eating in there is not worth the sub-standard offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?