Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 226
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940
    So... here we are again.. composing one of these fun threads for all to enjoy, add to, offer on opinion on... or simply disagree.

    IMHO... these I believe are the biggest mistakes ever made at WDW:

    1) Taking down The Adventurers' Club which is obviously quite loved and appreciated by so many.

    2) Putting the DVC Kingdom Tower so close to the Contemporary. Why is that? I feel a smaller structure would have helped the DVC agenda as much, without destroying the sleek lines and design of the first ever A-framed building ever built.

    3) The Big a** hat at MGM.

    4) Disney's Hollywood Studios. Silly and generic name for a faux park that celebrates nothing about Hollywood...(that can't be seen behind the BAH)

    5) Pocahontas in the middle of Fantasmic!

    6) Changing "Countdown to Extintion" to "Dinosaur". That movie bombed and so does the lame name of this fun ride.

    7) Allowing flash photography in the Living Seas with Nemo ride.

    8) The blah architecture of DTD's West Side. Now THAT should be the area to close, and not PI.

    9) Economy Hotels on property. They started off promising but soon affter got gaudy and simply below par with Disney's legendary ranting about offering the best quality. jada jada. Did not help all the economy (and some moderate) hotel are built from the same cookie cutter architectural plan... with just the theme outside the buildings changed. Me thinks...A "Disney hotel" should never be cheaper than the 1-day passpport to any given park, especially when guests get to be offered "extra magic hours" at the expense of those non-property guests getting shorter hours at the parks.

    10) Taking out "The Walt Disney Story" and turning it into a photo op/gift and pin shop. Walt, you have been evicted from your biggest dream yet! (one consolation..."One Man's Dream exhibit at DHS... and bonus points for taking Eisner out and bring Julie Andrews in..)

    11) "Sorcery in the Sky" being retired. Disney most fab firework show was the rage... and had the finale of all finales... what true disney fan didn't shed a tear when Mickey rose from the Chinese Theater and lit up the night sky above the Studios?

    12) The demise of Main Street Cinema.. for yet another shop.

    13) The demise of Flower Street.. for yet another shop.

    14) The demise of themed merchandise in shops.. for yet another shop selling pins.

    15) Screwing the EPCOT Center name.. First it was .. EPCOT 95, 96, 97.. then they soon grew tired of the stupid concept and just kept it at the bland and totally boring "Epcot". Not even in CAPS letter. Ask any child under 21 what Epcot means. Special honor in the bad name category goes to the neighbors down 1-4 for their quickly retired "Universal Studios Escape".

    16) Closing River Country and Treasure (later re-named Discovery) Island.
    So what if they opened Typhoid Lagoon and Blizzter Beach, or even DAK! We want similar fun in smaller dosis closer to the MK and just one boat ride away...

    17) Sending "Mickey Mouse Revue" to Tokyo Disneyland. The japanese do not appreciate it.

    18) Wide World of Sports.. Who cares? Really!

    19) Celebration. Now they celebrate for not being affiliated with Disney, and they have to live with "Old Town"s ugly neon sling shot towers on the other side of their overpriced backyards, plus drive thru miles of tacky tourist shops on US192 to get home. Makes you want to celebrate you didn't buy a property here. I think they should rebuild the Mickey wand from EPCOT Center in the middle of Celebration as a salute to their humble origins...or maybe as Disney's middle finger reminder?

    20) The demise of 20K and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Two of the same reasons why Disneyland park in Anaheim kicks the MK's royal butt.

    Do you have any other items you want to add to this list?
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-01-2008 at 08:07 AM.

  2. #2

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    11

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Add in the security checkpoints - especially in front of MK.

  3. #3

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Ooohhh!! My turn! My turn!


    *The Peptol Bismol castle cake - *GAG*

    *The big, ugly wand on Spaceship Earth (praise be that it's gone!)

    *The big, fugly hat (where's a wrecking ball when you need one?)

    *Replacing Alien Encounter with Stitch.

    *Replacing Mr Toad with Pooh (and I'm a MAJOR Tigger fan)

    *Replacing the 20k lagoon with... more Pooh

    *The DVC tower at the Contemporary - Ugly and ruins a nice view.

    *Removal of the Walt Disney Story - I would give anything to see that mural of all the Disney characters again (I know it's still back there!).

    *Ruining the Imagination pavilion with their lame Imagination Institute theme. Bring back Dreamfinder already!

    *Replacing Horizons with the spin & go puke ride.

    *Adding Ellen Bill Nye to Universe of Energy (and getting rid of the awesome pre-show with the rotating blocks).

    *Sending the Mickey Mouse Revue to Tokyo - I'd give anything to see it again but can't afford a trip to TDR for at least several more years.

    *Throwing princess stuff in our faces constantly. Not all little girls like princesses (I know I didn't).

    *Not doing the Country Bear Christmas show the last 2 years.

    *Taking Figaro Fries off the menu at Pinocchio Village Haus (I know you can still get them if you ask but...).

    *Closing the clubs at Pleasure Island (Well, keep the Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse & 8-Trax... the rest could honestly go)


    That's all I can think of for now.

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Quote Originally Posted by flannelboy View Post
    Add in the security checkpoints - especially in front of MK.
    True... and as a somewhat related issue.. add the scanning system at the turnstyles, which has considerable slowed down the process of entering the parks. Most guests are still clueless about how to put their ticket into the machine, and even how to press their thumb on the reader, creating backups for guests behind them. I see this happening all of the time at all the park.

  5. #5

    • If We Can Dream It...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Far Far Away From the Magic
    Posts
    961
    Removing the trio of dark rides at Epcot (JII, WOM, & Horizons) for other (less-detailed) rides when there was/is plenty of room elsewhere in EPCOT.

    Shutting down (or severely limiting the hours of) counter service restaurants (El Pirata, TL Terrace, Adventureland Veranda) in MK and at the same time adding ridiculous amounts of ODV carts everywhere.

    Changing Communicore Court into the now hideous Innoventions Plaza.

  6. #6

    • We'll hold them at bay
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,805

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    cheaping out on the Beastly Kingdomme is #1 in my book
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom


  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    811

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    I would say the biggest mistakes, along with whats been said...

    Closing the original ImageWorks in the Pyramids of JIA.

    Closing the Wonders of Life pavilion.

    Chester and Hester's DinoRama.

    But I guess I would have to throw in that I don't think the value resorts were a mistake. Without them I probably would never have been able to stay on Disney property, and that's with a cast discount. I think they're perfectly fine and don't detract from any of the other, more expensive resorts.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

    DoppelV

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    But I guess I would have to throw in that I don't think the value resorts were a mistake. Without them I probably would never have been able to stay on Disney property, and that's with a cast discount.
    Ok, knowing how much Disney pays it's work force, I will agree with you on this one. Still.. for the price that is being charged at the economy hotels, I feel offering full fledge benefits like EMHs is simply a bit much for the price paid to stay on property for cheap rates. The amount of benefits that Disney offers their hotel guests should reflect the price paid. Why are the economy hotel guests recieving the same benefits to enjoy the parks, when those who pay premium prices at the luxury or DVC get the same and nothing more? In other words.. economy hotels are getting a bit too much fun time for the price...and especially when CM, AP or other seasonal discounts are taken into consideration. But this is just my take on things. I don't stay there but when my fun at the MK is impacted at 7pm just because the majority of guests from economy hotels are coming in for EMH.. well, yes, I think it's not all that fair to those of us who are locals, nor fair to those who like yourself, can't afford to stay on property and only visit once a decade or so, and are forced to leave the park early.

    Anyways... yes, interesting contributions so far.. maybe I should have called this topic 100 mistakes... LOL

  9. #9

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    1) Taking down The Adventurers' Club which is obviously quite loved and appreciated by so many.
    Funny thing is, I have been seeing comments about this all over the various Disney boards and they all go something like this 'This is an icon that should not be shut down, I have to make a special trip to go to it because I have never got around to going to it"

    If you never went to it, you never contributed to its bottom line. I of course am in this group as well. I never got around to heading over to it. Just another thing thats on my list that I never seem to get to.

    7) Allowing flash photography in the Living Seas with Nemo ride.
    Is this offical policy or just a environement of "look the other way"? If its looking the other way, thats bad. If its policy, thats insanely bad.


    i think the lack of custodial work in some areas is really detracting from the overall image of WDW. Last trip down at the BCV, there were people cleaning and polishing all over the place every day. It DID make a difference. If they would just do that everywhere.

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  10. #10

    • and too all a good fright
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    469

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    DVC Kiosks and sales centers in the parks -- small yes, but I loathe them.

  11. #11

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    I like the Value resorts too and I agree it's the only way I've been able to stay on property for the most part (been a regular visitor since 1978 and never stayed on property until 2006). Though I remember the days when you could stay at the Contemporary for what they charge for the Values now. Ugh.

  12. #12

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,358
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    So... here we are again.. composing one of these fun threads for all to enjoy, add to, offer on opinion on... or simply disagree.

    IMHO... these I believe are the biggest mistakes ever made at WDW:

    1) Taking down The Adventurers' Club which is obviously quite loved and appreciated by so many.

    2) Putting the DVC Kingdom Tower so close to the Contemporary. Why is that? I feel a smaller structure would have helped the DVC agenda as much, without destroying the sleek lines and design of the first ever A-framed building ever built.

    3) The Big a** hat at MGM.

    4) Disney's Hollywood Studios. Silly and generic name for a faux park that celebrates nothing about Hollywood...(that can't be seen behind the BAH)

    5) Pocahontas in the middle of Fantasmic!

    6) Changing "Countdown to Extintion" to "Dinosaur". That movie bombed and so does the lame name of this fun ride.

    7) Allowing flash photography in the Living Seas with Nemo ride.

    8) The blah architecture of DTD's West Side. Now THAT should be the area to close, and not PI.

    9) Economy Hotels on property. They started off promising but soon affter got gaudy and simply below par with Disney's legendary ranting about offering the best quality. jada jada. Did not help all the economy (and some moderate) hotel are built from the same cookie cutter architectural plan... with just the theme outside the buildings changed. Me thinks...A "Disney hotel" should never be cheaper than the 1-day passpport to any given park, especially when guests get to be offered "extra magic hours" at the expense of those non-property guests getting shorter hours at the parks.

    10) Taking out "The Walt Disney Story" and turning it into a photo op/gift and pin shop. Walt, you have been evicted from your biggest dream yet! (one consolation..."One Man's Dream exhibit at DHS... and bonus points for taking Eisner out and bring Julie Andrews in..)

    11) "Sorcery in the Sky" being retired. Disney most fab firework show was the rage... and had the finale of all finales... what true disney fan didn't shed a tear when Mickey rose from the Chinese Theater and lit up the night sky above the Studios?

    12) The demise of Main Street Cinema.. for yet another shop.

    13) The demise of Flower Street.. for yet another shop.

    14) The demise of themed merchandise in shops.. for yet another shop selling pins.

    15) Screwing the EPCOT Center name.. First it was .. EPCOT 95, 96, 97.. then they soon grew tired of the stupid concept and just kept it at the bland and totally boring "Epcot". Not even in CAPS letter. Ask any child under 21 what Epcot means. Special honor in the bad name category goes to the neighbors down 1-4 for their quickly retired "Universal Studios Escape".

    16) Closing River Country and Treasure (later re-named Discovery) Island.
    So what if they opened Typhoid Lagoon and Blizzter Beach, or even DAK! We want similar fun in smaller dosis closer to the MK and just one boat ride away...

    17) Sending "Mickey Mouse Revue" to Tokyo Disneyland. The japanese do not appreciate it.

    18) Wide World of Sports.. Who cares? Really!

    19) Celebration. Now they celebrate for not being affiliated with Disney, and they have to live with "Old Town"s ugly neon sling shot towers on the other side of their overpriced backyards, plus drive thru miles of tacky tourist shops on US192 to get home. Makes you want to celebrate you didn't buy a property here. I think they should rebuild the Mickey wand from EPCOT Center in the middle of Celebration as a salute to their humble origins...or maybe as Disney's middle finger reminder?

    20) The demise of 20K and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Two of the same reasons why Disneyland park in Anaheim kicks the MK's royal butt.

    Do you have any other items you want to add to this list?



    I agree with you on all of those accounts. As for #20, I think it leads to the logical #21 mistake.

    21) Putting in Pooh's Thotful Spot, a playground for ages 2-5 instead of building an E-Ticket worthy of removing the submarines for.

    22) Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management -- what happened???

    23) Monsters Inc Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. It's a mediocre attraction at best but the Time Keeper (i forgot the name right now) really did fit the ideals of tomorrow and even though a replacement is fine, they went with the wrong direction.

    24) CONTROLLING GUESTS SCHEDULE. Operating hours are all over the place. Early mornings, extended evenings, wrist bands... it's a mess. Are the hotel guests really getting MORE if everyone else at WDW is staying at the resort too? These extra hours only work if the majority of tourists stay off disney property!

    Also... they make one park close earlier so that everyone rushes to the other park. DHS closes when Fantasmic! begins! When Fantasmic! is over, you come out to a CLOSED street of stores. The reason? They want you to now go to Downtown Disney and spend money THERE. You can't watch Fantasmic! and Illuminations and fireworks on the same night because they control it so that everyone is where the show is. And there's no option of being at another park if you want to, cos it's closed.

    Are we really in charge of our schedule? Are we really getting the best bang for our buck? Resort guests pay the same admission as other visitors and if I feel like I'm being cheated as a resort guest, how do you think an outside tourist feels?


    25) Magic Carpets of Aladdin -- Adventureland was beautiful and now it has an eyesore.

    26) Dinorama USA -- What a waste of space and imagination. Dinosaurs are among the world's greatest mystery. Scientists are STILL discovering new species! It's amazing! Why keep guests out of the loop? They should have a center that reveals all the latest in Dino discoveries as well as creating more innovative attractions. You don't need to be Jurassic Park to have a successful land. First step: ditch McDonald's.

    27) Swamp is ugly. The resort is ugly. I have no idea where we are once you leave a hotel or park. I'm not saying they should develop over EVERYTHING... but a little more disney magic needs to be developed.

    28) Lost and Found is a lost cause. If you loose something, consider it lost. WDW will not take down your information or take a record of anything. So no, if it shows up day after you lose it and you don't call back, it's gone. Disneyland wins again.


    That's all I can think of for now.

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    Add the closure of the Timerkeeper, the addition of Stitch's Greaet Escape, and the change of decor in the Land to the list as well. Man, I miss that fountain in the Land so much.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  14. #14

    • She was sweet as a peach
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in a pineapple way
    Posts
    1,246

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    27) Swamp is ugly. The resort is ugly. I have no idea where we are once you leave a hotel or park. I'm not saying they should develop over EVERYTHING... but a little more disney magic needs to be developed.
    This is the one thing I disagree with. I love diving along on property and seeing wild turkeys, deer and once even a coyote in the middle of Fort Wilderness. To me that is magic. Yes you do drive a lot on property but I am glad it is not all built up.

    The rest of the list is spot on!

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: WDW's 20 biggest mistakes? (In no particular order)

    The Top Four Mistakes at Disney World:

    1) Paul Pressler - Cut those budgets - get rid of flower street, WHAM!
    2) Al Weiss - Disney needs to be unique? Nah, we'll just WHAM! our way into ALL Orlando markets.
    3) "In over her head" Meg Crofton - Still doesn't know that there's a whole TV channel devoted to WHAM!.
    4) Jay Rasulo - Pointless cross-promotions between coasts, and turning the Disney parks into one generic WHAM!
    -Monorail Man

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vmk Spelling/talking Mistakes
    By skateprincesariel in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
  2. The biggest star on the biggest screen
    By FigmentJedi in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 01:34 PM
  3. Movie Mistakes
    By TinkPink in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •