So... here we are again.. composing one of these fun threads for all to enjoy, add to, offer on opinion on... or simply disagree.
IMHO... these I believe are the biggest mistakes ever made at WDW:
1) Taking down The Adventurers' Club which is obviously quite loved and appreciated by so many.
2) Putting the DVC Kingdom Tower so close to the Contemporary. Why is that? I feel a smaller structure would have helped the DVC agenda as much, without destroying the sleek lines and design of the first ever A-framed building ever built.
3) The Big a** hat at MGM.
4) Disney's Hollywood Studios. Silly and generic name for a faux park that celebrates nothing about Hollywood...(that can't be seen behind the BAH)
5) Pocahontas in the middle of Fantasmic!
6) Changing "Countdown to Extintion" to "Dinosaur". That movie bombed and so does the lame name of this fun ride.
7) Allowing flash photography in the Living Seas with Nemo ride.
8) The blah architecture of DTD's West Side. Now THAT should be the area to close, and not PI.
9) Economy Hotels on property. They started off promising but soon affter got gaudy and simply below par with Disney's legendary ranting about offering the best quality. jada jada. Did not help all the economy (and some moderate) hotel are built from the same cookie cutter architectural plan... with just the theme outside the buildings changed. Me thinks...A "Disney hotel" should never be cheaper than the 1-day passpport to any given park, especially when guests get to be offered "extra magic hours" at the expense of those non-property guests getting shorter hours at the parks.
10) Taking out "The Walt Disney Story" and turning it into a photo op/gift and pin shop. Walt, you have been evicted from your biggest dream yet! (one consolation..."One Man's Dream exhibit at DHS... and bonus points for taking Eisner out and bring Julie Andrews in..)
11) "Sorcery in the Sky" being retired. Disney most fab firework show was the rage... and had the finale of all finales... what true disney fan didn't shed a tear when Mickey rose from the Chinese Theater and lit up the night sky above the Studios?
12) The demise of Main Street Cinema.. for yet another shop.
13) The demise of Flower Street.. for yet another shop.
14) The demise of themed merchandise in shops.. for yet another shop selling pins.
15) Screwing the EPCOT Center name.. First it was .. EPCOT 95, 96, 97.. then they soon grew tired of the stupid concept and just kept it at the bland and totally boring "Epcot". Not even in CAPS letter. Ask any child under 21 what Epcot means. Special honor in the bad name category goes to the neighbors down 1-4 for their quickly retired "Universal Studios Escape".
16) Closing River Country and Treasure (later re-named Discovery) Island.
So what if they opened Typhoid Lagoon and Blizzter Beach, or even DAK! We want similar fun in smaller dosis closer to the MK and just one boat ride away...
17) Sending "Mickey Mouse Revue" to Tokyo Disneyland. The japanese do not appreciate it.
18) Wide World of Sports.. Who cares? Really!
19) Celebration. Now they celebrate for not being affiliated with Disney, and they have to live with "Old Town"s ugly neon sling shot towers on the other side of their overpriced backyards, plus drive thru miles of tacky tourist shops on US192 to get home. Makes you want to celebrate you didn't buy a property here. I think they should rebuild the Mickey wand from EPCOT Center in the middle of Celebration as a salute to their humble origins...or maybe as Disney's middle finger reminder?
20) The demise of 20K and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Two of the same reasons why Disneyland park in Anaheim kicks the MK's royal butt.
Do you have any other items you want to add to this list?