Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What dining experience would you create for WDW?

One of the best things about Walt Disney World is the variety & quality in food options. You have everything from your standard hot dogs and fries up to Four Diamond Restaurants. Many people who are first time visitors to Walt Disney World do not realize that you could simply make a trip to Disney just to indulge in the unique dining options.

Now with all the different types of dining experiences available at Disney, what would I add? I have two daughters under 11, so they are just about out of the Character Meal phase, but for the past several years, they cannot get enough of these dining experiences. If you are unfamiliar with character meals, simply put most are buffet style eating where various Disney characters will come around to your table and interact with you for a minute or two. Most often it is to sign an autograph book, or just a picture. I have seen characters dance and play with guests during slower times. Kids of all ages love these types of meals, as it is a unique way to get up close and personal with characters that you not otherwise be able to see so close.

So what experience would I create? I noticed that there are very few character meals geared toward boys. The girls have Cinderella‟s Royal Table, Princess Breakfast at Akershus, 1900 Park Fare, etc… Sure places like Chef Mickey‟s and Crystal Palace have characters that are both enjoyed by boys and girls, but I thought about something a bit more geared toward boys.

My initial thought was a Pirates of the Caribbean themed character meal, but that could scare some younger children. Then something clicked….why recreate the wheel here. Disney has just unveiled Toy Story Mania in WDW and Disneyland and are planning on Toy Story 3 in a few years, so why not use that theme. I know at WDW they already have Pizza Planet in Hollywood Studios, with a Toy Story theme. So instead of doing something from scratch, why couldn‟t Disney close down Pizza Planet, and open it up as a Pizza, Pasta, and Salad Toy Story Character themed buffet? I know this isn‟t simply geared toward boys, but it is more so than a Princess breakfast. Most cities have pizza, pasta, and salad type buffets, and WDW doesn‟t. To me I think it would be one of the more popular choices in WDW and something that Disney should look into. What do you think about this idea?

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: What dining experience would you create for WDW?

What sort of dining option would I like to see in WDW? Something truly ethnic, not an ethnic geared toward American tastes. Yes, I know it would be unpopular (maybe) and no I am not complaining about whats available, I would just like to see some interesting, native, foods I have never had before, that are prepared as they would be in their "home land"

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• We'll hold them at bay

A good Cuban restaurant perhaps in a resort and a decent sit down place at the Magic Kingdom. But most of all I put a Mos Eisley Cantina at DHS with charatcers like Greedo and that walrus guy walking around. It would have typical bar fare and an AA band that played a few songs from the movies every half hour
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    A good Cuban restaurant perhaps in a resort

Trying to re-create a little bit of Union City / North Bergen / West New York in Orlando are we?

Some pork, tostones, yuca con mojo, and camarones enchilados would go over very nicely. Mabe a pisco sour to go with it (but then thats Peruvian, but while we are dreaming, what the heck)

A lot of the guys in my lodge are Cuban. Man we eat good at times

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 07-02-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• We'll hold them at bay

Actually, I am not a huge cuban food fan myself, but it seems odd in Florida the only cuban place in WDW is Bongos which gets soundly panned by most
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    What sort of dining option would I like to see in WDW? Something truly ethnic, not an ethnic geared toward American tastes. Yes, I know it would be unpopular (maybe) and no I am not complaining about whats available, I would just like to see some interesting, native, foods I have never had before, that are prepared as they would be in their "home land"

-dave
    Have you ever tried Jiko at Animal kingdom Lodge. If you want ethnic then this is THE place for it. The menu is so inspired:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_jiko.htm

I swear this the tastiest, most inspired meal I have ever had on Disney property. And I would not say it is Americanised in any way.

As for the Chinese pavilion at Epcot - please, during the refurb, re-do the menu. I've had way better from my local restaurant down the road! The quality was below average - it trulywas. I hate "wet" Chinese dishes. I'd like to see some Thai food on property.
    I love the wine & food festival at Epcot - you really get some interesting dishes.

And bring back the Beaver Tails at Canada!

And dare I say the Fish and Chips at United Kingdom are about as "ethnic" as you could wish to get!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    A good Cuban restaurant perhaps in a resort and a decent sit down place at the Magic Kingdom. But most of all I put a Mos Eisley Cantina at DHS with charatcers like Greedo and that walrus guy walking around. It would have typical bar fare and an AA band that played a few songs from the movies every half hour
    YES! It would fit perfectly into the hidden Backstage that's next to the Jedi Stage.

That would be awesome.

• Minion

Re-theme Pizza Planet to look like the Pizza Planet from the movie.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Re-theme Pizza Planet to look like the Pizza Planet from the movie.
    Thats a good one
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Walt Disney Lives!

Oh man, a Mos Eisley Cantina in DHS would be perfect!

Or even "Jabba's Place" with the Jabba The Hut 'band' (can't remember the name off hand) playing would be great. You'd have an AA Jabba sitting and yellin' at folks.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by ArnyVee View Post
    Oh man, a Mos Eisley Cantina in DHS would be perfect!

Or even "Jabba's Place" with the Jabba The Hut 'band' (can't remember the name off hand) playing would be great. You'd have an AA Jabba sitting and yellin' at folks.

maybe you would like this
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/04/28...ours/#comments
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Have you ever tried Jiko at Animal kingdom Lodge. If you want ethnic then this is THE place for it. The menu is so inspired:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_jiko.htm

I swear this the tastiest, most inspired meal I have ever had on Disney property. And I would not say it is Americanised in any way.
    I have heard that Jiko is good. I could not tell you if it is authentic or not, as I have no idea what authentic African food is like. I doubt there is an "African" food. I suspect its a lot more regional than that. Jiko my be one of my next stops.

And dare I say the Fish and Chips at United Kingdom are about as "ethnic" as you could wish to get!
    Nah, because I can't get a donner kebab next door

-dave

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I still want my gawd damn Haunted Mansion dining experience!!!

I've stated this idea before in the Disneyland threads and now I'll SLAM MY FISTED HAND WITH FORK IN GRIP on the table and demand for a Haunted Mansion dining experience!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I still want my gawd damn Haunted Mansion dining experience!!!

I've stated this idea before in the Disneyland threads and now I'll SLAM MY FISTED HAND WITH FORK IN GRIP on the table and demand for a Haunted Mansion dining experience!
    how would that work?
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Rear Window=Best Movie

i say someplace that actually serves decent ethnic food.... yeah, i know other people say it.... but sometimes you need a walk on the wild side.... :0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast