Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: WDW Since 1994...Reasons to be Happy

It opened in 1994, but I'll include it, the Wilderness Lodge, my favorite WDW resort.

And Tomorrowland, when it reopened with Timekeeper and Alien Encounter (and when it still had Dream Flight) was far superior. Unfortunately, it still declined by degrees, and although I welcome Buzz, the other 2 are not the same. And, I do think the atmosphere of Tomorrowland, especially at night, is a wonderful addition. Simply gorgeous.

DAK and Philharmagic are wonderful as well, and the Tower of Terror opened in 1994 too!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I personally think that MK's Tomorrowland's is one of the ugliest sections in any Disney theme park. "Unified" yes...the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor and Stitch's Great Escape match. Other than those atrocities, there is Buzz and Space Mountain which pale in comparison to DL's; TL Indy Speedway, another sad version of Autopia; and the Carousel of Progress, a beloved attraction which is now in such disrepair and has such low attendance that it is painful to watch.
    I wasn't referring to the rides, I was referring to the theming of the land. Personally, I think Disneyland's Tomorrowland has been a visual mess since 1998. Plus astro orbiter in the wrong location. Plus no people mover.

On the topic of rides however....I also don't see how Buzz "pales" in comparison to Disneyland's. The detachable guns are better, no doubt, but that doesn't make a night-and-day difference. MK's version is the original, so it's only natural that Disneyland's has improvements. For instance...MK's Splash Mt has improvements over the one in Disneyland...which is how it should be, since it was built later...but that doesn't mean that Disneyland's version isn't great anymore. Also...Laugh Floor compared to...HISTA? Or...Carousel of Progress...compared to Dream Home?
    Down with the Hat

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by flannelboy View Post
    I missed out on WDW between 1990-1996. I hit up MGM when it first opened with the extended backlot tour and then moved was overseas and caught Euro-Disney's opening and attended that park multiple times for the first couple of years. When I finally made it back to WDW, the wand and tombstones were up in Epcot, the Polynesian pool was gone, and River Country had a fence around it.
    Tombstones? Are you referring to the stone slabs in the front of the park?

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    Tombstones? Are you referring to the stone slabs in the front of the park?
    Yes, the Leave a Legacy tiles at Epcot. You pay to have your small black and white picture placed on many an eyesore.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I agree with what's been presented so far.

I would like to add the lighting that was given to the castle last Christmas though. It was one of those moments that my breath actually caught and I walked completely transfixed toward the castle, just so I could get a better look at it. Gorgeous.

Some things that aren't permanent but definitely deserve a mention.

Food and Wine Festival
    Flower and Garden Festival
    Removal of the wand.

• Fortuosity!

That list is pretty much it for me (Tomorrowland was fine...up until October 2003)

A note about the Carousel of Progress, wdwmagic.com has well documented that indeed the attraction IS getting TLC. Outside a new attraction plaque and poster have been put up, Rover's fur in all scenes have been replaced, small props have been either fixed or added etc. The fix ups so far only apply to the outside and acts 1, 2 and 3 but that's because supposedly act 4 will be replaced all together. With what no one noes yet but something will happen. If SM gets it's major refurb, this and Carousel will make Tomorrowland a more pleasant place to be. Will still have Stitch and Monsters but how long will Disney really keep those duds (especially Stitch) running?
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    Will still have Stitch and Monsters but how long will Disney really keep those duds (especially Stitch) running?
    The problem with replacing Stitch is...that the nature of the space limits the type of attractions which can go there. No point in having a space flight like before, what with the newer pavilion at Epcot. And I do think that, despite its merits, Alien Ecounter wasn't a good fit for the MK. So...short of gutting the space...what else do you do with it? Not that I would mind it being gutted...but that's expensive...which makes it less likely to happen.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    The problem with replacing Stitch is...that the nature of the space limits the type of attractions which can go there. No point in having a space flight like before, what with the newer pavilion at Epcot. And I do think that, despite its merits, Alien Ecounter wasn't a good fit for the MK. So...short of gutting the space...what else do you do with it? Not that I would mind it being gutted...but that's expensive...which makes it less likely to happen.

Not sure how much space exactly is involved with the Stitch area, but Monsters Inc takes up a TON. I think the biggest problem with MK's Tomorrowland is that other parks are taking away from it. Future World of Epcot and Star Tours. All have elements that would add to Tomorrowland rather than taking away.

But it really does bother me that WDI doesn't have better ideas for Tomorrowland. To put in Monsters Inc is like throwing in the towel.

Alien Encounter would be cool in DHS I think. So would Monsters Inc. There's also an empty stage by Carousel of Progress isn't there?

ack, sorry. Didn't mean to derail. This is reasons to be HAPPY. So...ummm.... yah, the wand removal was good. Delayed, but good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

2 preshow areas, plus 2 theaters, plus 2 shops Stitch exits into. I think there is plenty of Space for something, but I don't think we'll see anything new for a while.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• May the F=ma be with you

Reflections of Earth and all of its various tags.

Holiday Wishes

HalloWishes

Magic, Music and Mayhem

NYE FitS 2008

Fourth of July Concert in the Sky (FoJCitS ??)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I haven't been on Mission : Space yet, but something about a nausea-inducing centrifuge doesn't appeal to me. The exterior of the pavilion, on the hand, is an exceptional piece of theming.

Again...just my armchair imagineering opinion of what this ride should be: according to Jim Hill (and I know, some people here won't believe anything he says)...the original concept for this ride was a "spacewalk" where guests would glide through the cosmos on a kuka-arm. That sounds excellent to me (the Harry Potter ride at IOL should be a similar experience). Maybe it could even employ an option like the kuka-arm Knights attraction at Legoland, where guests can choose the intensity of their ride...the same kuka-arm being able to function at different speeds.
    I've said this before, but apparently people are still making incorrect assumptions about Mission: Space. I am someone who is sensitive to spinning rides, yet had no problem on the spinning version of Mission. There are simple rules to follow to avoid nausea or dizziness: look straight ahead of you at all times, and don't close your eyes. If you follow the rules, you'll be in for a great ride.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-06-2008 at 06:29 AM.

• Banned User

Here's one that no one has mentioned yet: WDW kept Country Bears Jamboree and Carousel of Progress after DLR ditched them. I particularly love CBJ, and it would be a shame if Disney phased out AA shows altogether.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I agree with what's been presented so far.

I would like to add the lighting that was given to the castle last Christmas though. It was one of those moments that my breath actually caught and I walked completely transfixed toward the castle, just so I could get a better look at it. Gorgeous.

Some things that aren't permanent but definitely deserve a mention.

Food and Wine Festival
    Flower and Garden Festival
    Removal of the wand.
    I was there in December, and I didn't know that the castle lighting was new...it was indeed breathtaking.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I've said this before, but apparently people are still making incorrect assumptions about Mission: Space. I am someone who is sensitive to spinning rides, yet had no problem on the spinning version of Mission. There are simple rules to follow to avoid nausea or dizziness: look straight ahead of you at all times, and don't close your eyes. If you follow the rules, you'll be in for a great ride.
    Thanks...I hope to dispell (or confirm! ) my apprehensions later this year or early next year. In the past I could only visit every few years, but have just moved to Florida, so I will have the pleasure of visiting WDW two or more times in the same year...previously unthinkable for me. The plan so far though, for the next one or two times I am in Orlando, will be to check out Universal, as I have not been there before.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

This is way off topic, but if you're going to Universal, go to both parks and don't miss Spiderman at Islands of Adventure. One of the very best rides in all of Orlando.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast