Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: WDW Since 1994...Reasons to be Happy

Quote Originally Posted by lilofigment1 View Post
    I like the updating to Pirates of the Caribbean. The Davey Jones water effect is amazing,even though adding the movie pirates made the story line a little confusing.
    The wall of mist effect with Davy Jones is much more impressive at WDW than at DL...one of the few areas in which WDW's version is superior.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

The walk down Main Street with a larger than life Castle at the end is a visual not even Disneyland, CA can match. That's my favorite part of the Magic Kingdom. If I'm in the area of Main Street I like to zig zag down the street people watching, taking photos and taking in the sights and sounds of Main Street at the Magic Kingdom.

• For a new Gotham!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    Bear (and his cool theme park appearance) is dead, and so are other good Playhouse Disney shows unfortunately.
    Well I can't say I've watched any of them, but I'm glad to see Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV for the kiddies. I was recently informed by my mother that when we went to the World in 94 (I was all of 9), I had no idea who Mickey Mouse was (I was totally scandalized by this when my mom told me). So I'm glad to see that the tots are once again being acquainted with Mickey Mouse at a young age (as it should be).

Blizzard Beach. Just went there for the first time last weekend and dug it - especially the chairlift. As close to the skyway as you're gonna get. The wave pool was a little small (in comparison to Typhoon Lagoon), but the park overall was awesome.

MGM:
    The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Trippy-crazy. My niece and I loved it.
    Animation Academy. Went through that a couple of times.
    Turning the AT-AT into a giganto super-soaker
    One Man's Dream
    Rock'n'Rollercoaster.

I also like that Disney has Single-Rider lines for some of the newer rides. Universal has them on most and it'll be nice once Disney does the same for some of the older ones.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I will try and think of three (here we go):

Africa and Asia sections of Animal Kingdom - amazingly themed and great attractions!

Illuminations - my favorite fireworks show because of its massive size and its colorfulness

Hotels - Disney hotels must have really great architects because they are always really in-tune with the theme and design of each new Disney hotel they make, inside and out. Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs, Disney's Boardwalk, Pop Century = Wonderfully themed hotels!!!!

Mission Space is one of the greatest things Disney has done in my opinion. Pushing the limits.

• Banned User

I agree, Churro. Mission Space is something very special. I've never experienced anything like it.

By the way, Churro, what band is that? The lyric sounds familiar.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    Mission Space is one of the greatest things Disney has done in my opinion. Pushing the limits.
    Yes, pushing the limits so much that they had to alter half the ride to keep guests from getting sick. IMO, Mission Space was a bad move in the fact that it resulted in so much negative publicity on the part of WDW.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Yes, pushing the limits so much that they had to alter half the ride to keep guests from getting sick. IMO, Mission Space was a bad move in the fact that it resulted in so much negative publicity on the part of WDW.
    I have to disagree here. I think it's more the stupidity of guests ignoring warnings that "push the limits." Disney really tried to up the bar here, and though I miss Horizons greatly, but I do think we can't blame Disney for the problems of people on Mission:Space. But, in their defense, it was also a good move to alter the ride as well.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Certainly, the short lines after just a few years are a poor return on a $150 million or so investment. I'll see for myself around December...but I don't really like the idea of Disney delving into extreme thrills. Traditionally Disney thrill rides have been "mild but wild"...and that's how I like them. I wish all this money had been spent elsewhere...it was large enough to rebuild Journey into Imagination, or an Indy ride at DHS, or even an expansion to give MK a proper version of Pirates...all of which I feel would have been better long term investments.
    Down with the Hat

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Certainly, the short lines after just a few years are a poor return on a $150 million or so investment. I'll see for myself around December...but I don't really like the idea of Disney delving into extreme thrills. Traditionally Disney thrill rides have been "mild but wild"...and that's how I like them.
    Just what I was thinking. In recent trips, I have rarely seen lines longer than 30 min.

• Minion

It has a gorgeous exterior though. Shows what a "Tomorrowland" built today could look like, if they spent enough money on it.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Just what I was thinking. In recent trips, I have rarely seen lines longer than 30 min.

I think a lot of it is from bad publicity. Many people just recall the news story of the boy dying after riding, or of people throwing up. Maybe they didn't realize that this wasn't "mission to mars" or "star tours"?

I wasn't sure what to expect when I rode it but I was kinda nervous. As it turns out, it was the one ride I rode the most times that trip. I couldn't get enough of it. I even rode it while having a buzz from drinking beer in world showcase! Didn't get sick.

Plus... there's a less extreme side that people still seem to be afraid of.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Mission: Space is not an extreme thrill ride. It is fairly intense, but there is no ride at Disney that I would label "extreme". Other parks have those. It is a great ride that some people found tough on their stomach...well that's happened before with plenty of other rides, and clearly a lot of those people weren't following the rules (which I won't repeat...again). It would be a shame if Disney couldn't push the limits a bit for fear that a minority of riders might get ill.

As I mentioned before, I get dizzy pretty easily. But by following the rules, all I experienced was a thrilling adventure ride. I say most everyone should give the orange side a try. And if it really bothers you, the green mission never will.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    It would be a shame if Disney couldn't push the limits a bit for fear that a minority of riders might get ill
    I think the problem was that, not just a small minortiy got nauseous or threw up...quite a few did. I don't know if these folks were following rules, or not...but most people don't expect anything beyond moderate intensity on a Disney ride...an image which Disney itself has created. Whatever the case, first impressions matter...and sadly Mission Space had some bad publicity early on.

A question since I haven't been on it...I know the more intense version is a centrifuge...but what is the less intense one? A traditional motion similutor?...or something else?
    Last edited by tasman; 07-14-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Down with the Hat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast