Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

Moving to a bar code system will fix any enforcement problems. I think these problems are overblown, anyway. Most people use their FPs during the alloted time.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Does anyone think there is a way to experiment with how lines would be like if Fast Pass was removed? I know the Disney execs would say "because before FP, and blah blah blah". But before Fast Pass we didnt have the extreme crowds or the 2-3 hr wait for rides.

I would like to see Disney do this as an experiment preferably with either Soarin or Kilomanjaro Safaris or Peter Pan's Flight as these rides usually have the worst lines (or they were when I was there in my opinion). These execs need to see for themselves what a difference it will make.

And they also need to see that there's something more important then going after black markets and copyright infrigments and that is the convenience and happiness of guests at the resort. I fail to see how anyone is having fun at a place where you have to wait 90 mins at least to get on Disney's most popular attractions. That is why Disney should experiment with the FP removal.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I know the Disney execs would say "because before FP, and blah blah blah". But before Fast Pass we didnt have the extreme crowds or the 2-3 hr wait for rides.
    Sorry, but this is just rubbish. Lines were always what they were. A 90 minute line before FP is a 90 minute standby line with FP. It's just that the standby line moves much slower. Which means that someone like me who hates standing in long, slow lines will do these attractions using FP, or first thing in the morning, or not at all. There's no way I'm going to wait 90 minutes for Soarin. I'll do it with FP, or wait till next time.

But this idea that lines are now much longer with FP is simply not true.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Bull. The TDR CMs do this all of the time with no problems. In Tokyo, they do look at your Fp ticket and they do stop you from going in if your FP is not current,
    Thats an issue in Florida. People, be it in wheelchairs, FP, or GAC cards don't think they have to stop to listen to a CM or stop to show them a card, they just do it without breaking stride.
    CMs need to not be afraid to make someone stop until the FP are read or the instructions are given. Its a combo of stronger CMs and better guests in Tokyo.
    Tokyo also makes the whole group get in line at once.

But this idea that lines are now much longer with FP is simply not true.
    Not quite. They are slower. Maybe not "longer"...but the amount of people that used to make a 30 minute wait before FP is very different from what makes up a 30 min wait now with FP. Its a much smaller amount now. So take that the same amount of queue line is filling up...but now just moving slower. That is a fact that any CM that works/worked a FP attraction can tell you. When it doesn't move at the same pace, it takes more time to cover the same amount of queue. IE longer wait.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    When it doesn't move at the same pace, it takes more time to cover the same amount of queue. IE longer wait.
    This has gotten bantered around ever since FP came on the scene. Yes, the standby line goes much slower, so you're not covering the same amount of queue space that you used to in 30 minutes. But a 30 minute wait is still a 30 minute wait. A 90 minute queue will still take 90 minutes to get through. It'll most likely be half as long, distance wise, as it would have been before FP, but it'll still take 90 minutes to get through. The attractions that sport a 60 minute wait have always sported a 60 minute wait, regardless of FP. If you get in a line and it says you'll wait 60 minutes, you're gonna wait 60 minutes. FP has not made the waits any longer - it's just made the standby lines move about 1/2 as fast as they used to.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Does anyone think there is a way to experiment with how lines would be like if Fast Pass was removed?
    Disney does it all the time when the FP machines are offline. Plus, Disney would have tons of historical information on the attractions. Many of these attractions have been around for DECADES - Disney knows how they operate.

I know the Disney execs would say "because before FP, and blah blah blah". But before Fast Pass we didnt have the extreme crowds or the 2-3 hr wait for rides.
    Sure you did.. in fact waiting 90+mins wasn't extra ordinary at all.. which is why people like FP so much. Spending half your vacation in line wasn't all that enjoyable.. no matter how much Disney spruced up the idea of waiting in line.

The people that moan the most about FP are those who 'drop by' the park and aren't there for a full day so the idea of returning at a later time or having all FPs already distributed only affect them negatively.

I fail to see how anyone is having fun at a place where you have to wait 90 mins at least to get on Disney's most popular attractions. That is why Disney should experiment with the FP removal.
    You obviously never went to Disney pre-FP at an age you can remember. Disney was the KING of long lines.. and which is why Disney was king of making the wait in line something more then just standing in a line that goes as long as you can see. From switchbacks, to themed queues, to pre-shows, to staging guests prior to load, to the omnimover.. to separate load/unload..all elements Disney pushed to difuse the fact you were waiting in line and optimize loading and therefore rider throughput.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I remember Disney parks before FPs, and in summer, too. Short lines if you got there first thing in the morning, increasingly horrific lines later on in the day. FPs can't increase the number of warm bodies chasing the same number of attractions. All it does is give guests more options, and redistribute people to prevent crazy bottlenecks at the most popular rides. Those snagging fast passes are not getting in line and making the line longer.

I suppose it is possible that wait times are generally longer now. If so, it's because more people are visiting the parks than ever before. It's not because of FPs.

Blog Entries

I have never been to the other side (so to speak) although I am planning to do so next year but in the meantime, exactly how does Universal handle their FastPass (or whatever it's called over there) system?
    Not very well. There are two ways you can get express pass access at Universal.

#1 (and the only option I really wish they offered)
    Stay at a Universal Resort Hotel and use your room key to get express pass to all express pass rides with an unlimited use.

#2 pay something around 50 dollars to buy an express pass that allows you to use express pass once on every express pass enabled ride.

They don't have return times or restrictions though so it doesn't work well. There's been several times that I've been waiting in a standby line and watched the same person enter the ride 3 or 4 times through express pass while I'm still waiting to ride once with standby. Talk about getting upset. Universal does a horrible job of managing both standby and express pass. They almost always wait until express pass line empties and then let standby on. Then as soon as express pass line starts to fill up a bit they let all of them own before coming back to standby.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    If you guys have any dream fastpasses, you could end up with this kinda cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008

I love that guy's sales pitch. The Dream FP is valid in the year 2008, he says.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• back to WDW in January

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I love that guy's sales pitch. The Dream FP is valid in the year 2008, he says.
    $255.00 the final bid for these ?!?! I am definitely in the wrong business !!!

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

Fastpass is one of the greatest theme park innovations at all time.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Banned User

Yep.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Fastpass is one of the greatest theme park innovations at all time.

A bientot.
    Strongly disagree. Fastpass has made it cool to cheat the systeme monsier. The only ones paying for it are the poor guests who do not get the chance to get one once they are gone and are subject to long waitimes. Disney people are idiots for not charging money for this option. Anyone who works at Universal can tell you how much income they make on their Express booklets and I feel Disney is loosing out on million$ for not selling this option...especially since people like you love it so much. You want to be lazy and cut to the front of the line... then PAY UP!
    Disney should not have to subject their guests to unequal treatment once the FP has been distributed for the day. It's unfair to expect guest to be "savy" about this FP system, and even more rude from those of you who go "too bad" about it. I don't think you would like to be treated in the same 2nd class way when you go to your fav ride and find out FPs are gone!

DEATH TO FASTPASS FOREVER!!!

• Banned User

So if you had to pay for fastpasses, wouldn't that be unfair to all the people who can't afford to pay? Wouldn't that create a "first class" of Disney guest who go to the front of the line because they can pay, and a "second class" who has to wait? You see that as an improvement?

Right now, anyone can snag a fastpass. It's fair and democratic. If they are gone late in the day, then show up earlier. Or go to the ride tomorrow. If you don't know about the system, then it's easy to educate yourself. All of that is very easy. What's not easy is changing your economic status and financial means so that you can afford to pay for fastpasses. To all those people who have to skrimp and save for a Disney trip, do they need the added burden of being left out of the fastpass system...unless they cough up more money they can ill afford to spend?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Strongly disagree. Fastpass has made it cool to cheat the systeme monsier. The only ones paying for it are the poor guests who do not get the chance to get one once they are gone and are subject to long waitimes. Disney people are idiots for not charging money for this option. Anyone who works at Universal can tell you how much income they make on their Express booklets and I feel Disney is loosing out on million$ for not selling this option...especially since people like you love it so much. You want to be lazy and cut to the front of the line... then PAY UP!
    Yeah I'm surprised that Disney doesnt do that. And it's not like the poor people are gonna miss out cause if you're staying at a Value Resort you can still qualify and the value resorts are still cheaper than a night in a Universal hotel right? ($89 vs $279 per night) It would be a great standard Disney ploy to get more people into Disney's resorts. When I was cast member I was surprised I was getting this luxury as opposed to the extra magic hours given to Disney Resort guests.

If I was a resort guest I would find the Fast Pass system more convenient due to the fact that the EMH is unpredictable and limited and can be more inconvenient at times than a FP.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast