Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    So if you had to pay for fastpasses, wouldn't that be unfair to all the people who can't afford to pay?
    BS. Anyone who can afford a visit to WDW, CAN and would be willing to pay for Fastpass.

And in regards to the stand by lines.. it does not take an intellectual to see how lines move much faster without this pesky "service". Example, when they opened TSM for previews...I waited in line from where the Pixar Studios gate is... all the way thru the ride and only waited 46 minutes on my watch, going thru the entire line inside the building... Now? a related waited nearly 2 and a half hours in stand by after the FPs were gone by noontime. That is simply NOT fair. Many guests are wasting precious time from their day in the park, when they step into those stand by lines.. where BTW... the wait time estimate seems to be constantly changing from what was posted at the time you entered the line. then there are the backup issues, when guests holding FP are given priority to enter rides if the ride goes done for technical reasons or when CMs allow guests to access the FP line *after* the time window on your FP ticket has expired. There are just too many technicalities with this.. NOT fair. It's more like torture for guests is slow moving stand by lines. Disney should not EVER make guests put up with such conditions. BAD SHOW. A disclaimer should be posted on the FP ticket itself... "this FP becomes null and invalid if ride/attraction is not available for enjoyment at the appointed time of use, or at the end of the time window posted on ticket" No exceptions should be made for this issue.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-18-2008 at 11:29 PM.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Disney should not have to subject their guests to unequal treatment once the FP has been distributed for the day. It's unfair to expect guest to be "savy" about this FP system, and even more rude from those of you who go "too bad" about it.
    It's no more unfair to expect guests to learn about FP than it is for them to learn to read their park maps and know what attractions are where. And before FP, the line for an attraction like Space Mountain were 60 to 90 minutes long on a busy afternoon. With FP, even after the FP's run out, the standby line is 60 to 90 minutes long on a busy afternoon. FP did absolutely nothing to make standby times longer. They do make the standby line move slower, but not longer. FP gives a great advantage to anyone willing to spend the 30 seconds or so that it takes to learn how it works. And nobody is waiting longer than they used to, even after FP runs out.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It's no more unfair to expect guests to learn about FP than it is for them to learn to read their park maps and know what attractions are where. And before FP, the line for an attraction like Space Mountain were 60 to 90 minutes long on a busy afternoon. With FP, even after the FP's run out, the standby line is 60 to 90 minutes long on a busy afternoon. FP did absolutely nothing to make standby times longer. They do make the standby line move slower, but not longer. FP gives a great advantage to anyone willing to spend the 30 seconds or so that it takes to learn how it works. And nobody is waiting longer than they used to, even after FP runs out.
    Okay, I am still not understanding the difference here. How is waiting in a slower line different (or better) from waiting in a longer line? Wouldnt it be a bigger pain for people (kids especially) to have to stand in one place in line and only be able to move an inch foward every 10 minutes? Personally I would rather be in a line that it constantly moving than be stuck standing in the same spot in line for 20 minutes no matter how long it is. I dont think it's heathly for the body to even be standing in one place that long and do only minor scooching (heh).

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Wouldnt it be a bigger pain for people (kids especially) to have to stand in one place in line and only be able to move an inch foward every 10 minutes? Personally I would rather be in a line that it constantly moving than be stuck standing in the same spot in line for 20 minutes no matter how long it is.
    You are absolutely right - this is the one big drawback of the FP system. And I agree - I don't usually wait in standby lines. They're just too slow moving. But I have the option of getting a FP and coming back later.

Back before FP, on a ride like say Splash, where the lines are usually 60 to 90 minutes long on the average day, there was just no way I was going to wait in that line. My only option to ride without a long wait was to get there first thing in the morning. Now, while I can still do that, I can also get a FP within the first few hours of the morning and then come back and enjoy the ride later on. It gives me much more flexibility in how I enjoy the big attractions with the long lines.

• When Will It Return?

I love someone who complains about how unfair something is, and then proposes a solution that's far more unfair than what's being complained about.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    It's pretty clear what TDLFAN's stance on the FP system is since he likes to remind people with every other post of his, but I think it's pretty much common knowledge by now that the above quote is true. It doesn't take very long at all to educate anyone about the FP system, and much faster/easier to do that than to work another week to pay off paid FP's for the family.

What the anti-FP people never seem to understand is that if FP's run out for a ride you wanted to get them for, and you still don't want to wait in the stand-by line, no one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to ride the ride! Go ride something else, and come back another day for the attraction you wanted to get the FP for.

I keep hearing stories about all these oppressed people 'forced' to stand in slower lines because of FP...exactly who/what forced them into that line? It's not like they didn't know how long the wait was. They saw the number at the entrance, they went into that line, and they waited the duration of the posted time. There's no bait & switch here - you see the wait time, and you choose to wait in it or you choose to do something else. Call me crazy here, but if I waited in a stand-by line and didn't really enjoy the wait, I'd try to avoid them whereever I could, which would include learning about FastPass and NOT making wild assumptions about it! Amazing concept isn't it?

As far as fighting the FastPass sales goes, it's so simple to enforce a date on the bottom of the ticket that if Disney can't do even that, then whatever consequence of their unenforcement is their own fault. You guys all freak out about how long it would take? It would take about 3 nanoseconds longer to check the opening window time, AND the date at the bottom. There's no reason at all why this can't happen. Even someone making minimum wage standing at the gate, and I know they make more than that, is capable of checking 2 things on every ticket.

Read your park map, read your FP ticket, and understand the CMs won't hold it against you if you miss the closing time of your window, but only FP's issued that day will be accepted. They can't be so inhumane to say 'Whoops, ride broke down so you missed your time? Sorry, no exceptions, have a magical day!" That would be just ridiculous.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 07-19-2008 at 02:05 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Banned User

BS. Anyone who can afford a visit to WDW, CAN and would be willing to pay for Fastpass.
    Not BS at all. That's like saying "if you can afford a car, then you can afford to fill your tank, no matter how high the price of gas goes." Well, guess what? Attendance at DLR is well down this summer compared to most summers. Obviously, lots of people thought they could afford a car but found that they couldn't afford the gas much anymore, except maybe just enough to get to work every day.

It's the same with a Disney trip. Come on, you know very well that a lot of people have to skrimp and save, maybe for years, for a Disney trip. They can barely afford it, maybe they are stretching their budget as it is to make the kids happy, and you propose that they should pay even more for something that used to be free and available to everyone in the park? Good lord.

• Banned User

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I love someone who complains about how unfair something is, and then proposes a solution that's far more unfair than what's being complained about.
    Exactly. By all means, let's make fastpass an elitist thing. That's MUCH better.

It's pretty clear what TDLFAN's stance on the FP system is since he likes to remind people with every other post of his, but I think it's pretty much common knowledge by now that the above quote is true. It doesn't take very long at all to educate anyone about the FP system, and much faster/easier to do that than to work another week to pay off paid FP's for the family.

What the anti-FP people never seem to understand is that if FP's run out for a ride you wanted to get them for, and you still don't want to wait in the stand-by line, no one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to ride the ride! Go ride something else, and come back another day for the attraction you wanted to get the FP for.

I keep hearing stories about all these oppressed people 'forced' to stand in slower lines because of FP...exactly who/what forced them into that line? It's not like they didn't know how long the wait was. They saw the number at the entrance, they went into that line, and they waited the duration of the posted time. There's no bait & switch here - you see the wait time, and you choose to wait in it or you choose to do something else. Call me crazy here, but if I waited in a stand-by line and didn't really enjoy the wait, I'd try to avoid them whereever I could, which would include learning about FastPass and NOT making wild assumptions about it! Amazing concept isn't it?

As far as fighting the FastPass sales goes, it's so simple to enforce a date on the bottom of the ticket that if Disney can't do even that, then whatever consequence of their unenforcement is their own fault. You guys all freak out about how long it would take? It would take about 3 nanoseconds longer to check the opening window time, AND the date at the bottom. There's no reason at all why this can't happen. Even someone making minimum wage standing at the gate, and I know they make more than that, is capable of checking 2 things on every ticket.

Read your park map, read your FP ticket, and understand the CMs won't hold it against you if you miss the closing time of your window, but only FP's issued that day will be accepted. They can't be so inhumane to say 'Whoops, ride broke down so you missed your time? Sorry, no exceptions, have a magical day!" That would be just ridiculous.
    People who got in line decided they didn't want to come back in an hour or two. Fine, that was their choice. And if all the fastpass holders had gotten in line instead, before they showed up...the line would be a lot longer. I've said this before, but some people refuse to accept a simple fact...it's impossible for the FP system to increase wait times on average. The only way to do that would be to increase the number of people in the park who are trying to get into the same number of attractions. Last time I looked, fastpass did not increase the number of warm bodies in the park.

In some cases, it may change your perception of your wait time, because you see people going ahead of you and you think it's so unfair. But how do you know how long the line would have been if all the fastpassers had just gotten in line instead -- before you got there? And as peoplemover pointed out, exactly what was preventing you from grabbing a fastpass yourself?

• Banned User

One more thing: TDLfan also claims that wait times baloon compared to the one posted. That's funny, more often I've waited less than the posted wait time, and that includes rides with fastpass. Yes, I often get in the standby line, usually when I'm holding a fastpass for something else. And no, I don't have a blinkered, selfish perspective -- I don't curse the fastpassers going ahead of me. Why not? Because I know that I'll get my turn later, when my fastpass becomes valid. See how that works? It's actually fair for everyone.

But if you had to pay for fastpass...then the richest guests get to go to the front of the line. This is fair?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Okay, I am still not understanding the difference here. How is waiting in a slower line different (or better) from waiting in a longer line? Wouldnt it be a bigger pain for people (kids especially) to have to stand in one place in line and only be able to move an inch foward every 10 minutes? Personally I would rather be in a line that it constantly moving than be stuck standing in the same spot in line for 20 minutes no matter how long it is. I dont think it's heathly for the body to even be standing in one place that long and do only minor scooching (heh).
    Danyoung does not know what he is talking about. Sadly, he spends much less time in line than some of us who practically live at the MK and see these FP problems day in and day out. I am simply flabbergasted by the innacuracies of the statement he posted above. Needless to say.. it's a proven fact, by many watch and many others.. that stand by lines are slower and much longer than before. I will always dispute the claims he makes because they are simply incorrect. Even on busy days... the pre-FP wait in the longest line I ever made at Space Mountain was 40 mins tops. I know this because I did this line often and with many out of town visiting friends who were afraid to stand in line because of the posted wait times. Now? With FP online.. I personally skip SM like a plague on busy days..

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I don't see how "sticking to the fastpass rules" is 'unfair'. Where in the FP manual does it say that.."guests are allowed to discard the return time and be allowed to ride using FP lines at all times"??? Personally, CMs and management alike do not have the guts to tell people like you who abuse this system a bg fat "NO! you are late and you lost your chance!" I do not find that to be unfair at all... especially when guests have no alternative after all FPs have been awarded for the day.

Knowing how to use the Fastpass system means NOTHING once all FPs have been awarded for the day.

Typical.. you just illustrated why the system is unfair to the core. Disney should NEVER put any guest in the position of having to make a decision about riding any ride based on Fastpass availability or not. That is why your point of view will never fly with me, no matter how hard you try. I find that to be quite unfair, especially since the FP priviledge is free of charge. If Disney wants the guests to make such decisions as to ride or not to ride, they should make the guest make the decision at the ticket window: Choose to pay for the benefit or choose NOT to pay. If I choose NOT to pay for line cutting priviledge, then I will forfeit any
    right to rant about this and stand by like all other victims do.

I keep hearing stories about all these oppressed people 'forced' to stand in slower lines because of FP...exactly who/what forced them into that line?
    Again, in case you missed my point of view... Disney's Fastpass (aka management) forces people to MAKE A DECISION in regards to do the line or not. If all guests were forced to wait the same wait, then yes, you are justified... but with FP, you are forced to decide to skip or do a ride.. and considering everyone paid the same admission fee, NO one should be forced to decide to ride or not, especially when the stand by lines' wait times can charge dramatically based on actual conditions caused by the FP guests or breakdowns. There are too many logistics that make Fastpass a bad idea. If I didn't see so many peoples' faces of dismay when they arrive at their favorite ride to find out how long the stand by line is and that Faspasses are gone for the day.. it's disheartening, and worst! to see them turn around and leave in disappointement is simply infuriating to me.

I will not deny that Disney sells this service based on "psychological satisfaction", meaning, you believe it's good for you because you know how to use it and abuse it... but in reality, it causes more headaches and anxious guests in long lines that do not move at the speed the imagineers intended for it to move.. It's almost barbaric and Disney should be horribly ashamed of this.

But FP is like a drug, as once you use it, you know you will do it again and again.. reason why it is still here... like a bad incurable virus... it's bad for you but doctors will go broke if they did. Same with Disney as FP junkies will always remind Disney of how innovative and helpful it really is. Reason why Fastpass won't go away for now.

• Banned User

This whole predicament with Fastpass reminds me of the early days at TDL.. when guests were required to make reservations to visit the park. As it became apparent that the park could be more succesful, the reservation system was lifted, and OLC saw TDR becoming the most visited, most sucessful disney resort on Earth. Same will be the fate of Fastpass in the future.. FP will become so popular that it will horribly exceed the demand versus the supply (which is obviously happening already) and Disney will realize the system will become obsolete about it's initial purpose. Or else, see the light and po$$ibilites with it. Hopefully that day will come, and we will be free of fastpass for good or forced to pay for it, as it should be.

• Banned User

TDLfan says we are forced to make a decision about fastpass. Well, boo hoo. By all means, let's not strain our brains too much, lest we get a migraine.

You have to make a decision because you have more options than before. Since when is having more options a bad thing?

Answer: it might be a bad thing if only the more affluent guests have access to it...

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Danyoung does not know what he is talking about. Sadly, he spends much less time in line than some of us who practically live at the MK and see these FP problems day in and day out. I am simply flabbergasted by the innacuracies of the statement he posted above.
    I guess I should be flabbergasted by your penchant for being disagreeable while you're disagreeing, but it seems to be the way you communicate. Very childish, but let's continue anyway.

Needless to say.. it's a proven fact, by many watch and many others.. that stand by lines are slower and much longer than before.
    Your perceptions are colored by your observations, same as me. Yes, you're there more, so your perceptions are different than mine. But what I see is the same thing as before FP, in that what used to be the only line at an attraction like Space Mountain would be running 60 minutes during a busy afternoon, and now with FP the standby line is still 60 minutes long. I've always said that the standby lines are slower by their very nature, which is the one drawback that I have with the FP system. But the length of the standby line is easily adjustable by Disney, as they can tweak the numbers of FP's allowed. My guess is that they have things right where they want them, and they are allowing the standby queue to be just as long (time wise) as it would have been without FP.

And while I have yet to see evidence that you are correct in this, TDLFAN, I will give your statement some weight and continue to look for myself and make my own judgements. And hopefully we can continue to discuss this without getting all rude and petty.

• Banned User

I remember plenty of horrific wait times before Fastpass. And if you didn't get to it early in the morning, it was sometimes impossible to ride the most popular attractions, unless you were a masochist who didn't mind waiting for 90 minutes or more.

Someone started a thread on the longest wait times ever experienced by Micechatters, and the horror stories would curl your hair. Several posters talked about when Indy first opened; there were six hour wait times, with the line starting on Main Street U.S.A. Sure, this is an extreme example, but there were plenty of others mentioned in that thread. If Fastpasses had been available then, this insanity could have been averted, as hundreds of people would have been diverted elsewhere instead of adding to that monstrous lineup.

I suppose it's possible that overall wait times are up today as opposed to 15, 20, or 25 years ago. If so, it's because overall attendance to theme parks has gone up and up. Fastpass isn't the culprit; it's a scapegoat.

Let's take Disneyland as the prime example. As we know, Disneyland is heavily dependent on locals. Well, the population of California has doubled since 1970. In addition, Disney introduced the AP system, then lifted all restrictions on the number they can sell...Is it any wonder that the crowds at Disneyland are worse than ever?
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-20-2008 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Several posters talked about when Indy first opened; there were six hour wait times, with the line starting on Main Street U.S.A.
    While I can't verify a 6 hour queue for Indy, I can tell you from personal expreience that the line not only went out to Main Street, it doubled back into Frontierland, where switchbacks took up all the free room there. My first ride I waited 2 1/2 hours in that line - simply intolerable!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast