Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 144
  1. #91

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    TDLfan says we are forced to make a decision about fastpass. Well, boo hoo. By all means, let's not strain our brains too much, lest we get a migraine.
    Take a green benadryl. They do wonders for those migranes induced by stand-by lines.

    You have to make a decision because you have more options than before. Since when is having more options a bad thing?
    Don't you know that offering more options slow the process down? That is a basic of psychological behaviors. Example: try standing behind a person in fast food restaurant, and see how long it takes for them to ponder the choices and come to a decision... while you wait.

    Answer: it might be a bad thing if only the more affluent guests have access to it...
    I am not affluent and I would not pay for Fastpass. But, if you want to cut in front of me or have access to a benefit that puts you in a better position than most (especially after FPs are gone), then you need to pay cash for it. Besides... as I have said before.. IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO TO WDW, YOU MOST DEFINITELY CAN AFFORD TO THROW A FEW MORE PENNIES FOR FASTPASS. Universal has proven that quite well and are reaping the monetary benefits. Disney people are just idiots, because they invented the system and Universal did them one better. It's a business after all and no one at Disney cares if you enjoy yourself or not. It's a comapny going after your money, pure and simple...reason why the freebie FP won't last for ever and that I am willing to bet on. If you beleive it will, you are fooling yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I guess I should be flabbergasted by your penchant for being disagreeable while you're disagreeing, but it seems to be the way you communicate. Very childish, but let's continue anyway.
    That won't change my opinion about your opinion. I still disagree and I still believe you do not know what you are talking about, my old chum from the laughable place.

    And while I have yet to see evidence that you are correct in this, TDLFAN, I will give your statement some weight and continue to look for myself and make my own judgements.
    As long as Disney has fastpass in place, NO, I won't have a chance to present this evidence and prove it correctly, again. Also, let it be known, you brought the "weight" issue again.

    While I can't verify a 6 hour queue for Indy, I can tell you from personal expreience that the line not only went out to Main Street, it doubled back into Frontierland, where switchbacks took up all the free room there. My first ride I waited 2 1/2 hours in that line - simply intolerable!
    Yeah, say that to the folks that are waiting up to 3 hours (like TDLSIS did recently) in the stand by line for Toy Story mania at DHS now a days once the fastpasses are gone. However, I would not mind one bit the 3 hour wait if *everyone* was made to wait the same. The longest I waited for a ride (before fastpass came online) was 4 hours at TDL's Hunny Hunt and the reason for that is because the ride went down during my wait and that added an additional 1:45 to the wait. I also highly doubt that Indy ever had 6 hrs wait times, and while I have seen the lines at DL to be all over the place, we need to keep in mind this is a very compacted park, and what appears to be a long line, may not be horribly long but overflowing the smaller queue areas that DL seem to have.. PLus a long line is much more tolerable when it moves, which is exactly what the stand by lines do not do that well.. Indy of course was very popular when it opened as it should be, so imagine what a horrible mess it would have been to have FP on it from day 1. Also, may I ask.. if FP is so wonderful, then why the double standard with it from management? What makes Toy Story Mania at DHS so special as to have Fastpass, and Toy Story Mania at DCA open without it?? I personally would like to read management's decision for that duality. Why is FP good for one version of the ride and not the other? So those of you company spies reading and participating in this thread (you and I know who you are people!) please step up and tell us what management (especially at DLR) think of the Fastpass predicament in regards to Toy Story Mania...
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-20-2008 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #92

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Take a green benadryl. They do wonders for those migranes induced by stand-by lines.


    Don't you know that offering more options slow the process down? That is a basic of psychological behaviors. Example: try standing behind a person in fast food restaurant, and see how long it takes for them to ponder the choices and come to a decision... while you wait.
    Someone who's standing around wondering whether to take a Fastpass or get in the standby line...is not in front of me in the standby line.


    I am not affluent and I would not pay for Fastpass. But, if you want to cut in front of me or have access to a benefit that puts you in a better position than most (especially after FPs are gone), then you need to pay cash for it. Besides... as I have said before.. IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO TO WDW, YOU MOST DEFINITELY CAN AFFORD TO THROW A FEW MORE PENNIES FOR FASTPASS. Universal has proven that quite well and are reaping the monetary benefits. Disney people are just idiots, because they invented the system and Universal did them one better. It's a business after all and no one at Disney cares if you enjoy yourself or not. It's a comapny going after your money, pure and simple...reason why the freebie FP won't last for ever and that I am willing to bet on. If you beleive it will, you are fooling yourself.
    A few pennies? If they are going to start charging for it, I don't think it would be a few pennies. Why bother alienating that many people if you're going to charge only a nominal fee? Doesn't make sense. By the way, who cares if Universal is making money off it? There's no way Universal theme parks are more profitable than Disney's. And yes it's a business, but I think Disney is concerned with giving you a good time, so you will come back again. Repeat business is one of the keys to their profitability, and it's well known that Disney parks have a very loyal following. That's why you have sites like this one.

    Yeah, say that to the folks that are waiting up to 3 hours (like TDLSIS did recently) in the stand by line for Toy Story mania at DHS now a days once the fastpasses are gone. However, I would not mind one bit the 3 hour wait if *everyone* was made to wait the same. The longest I waited for a ride (before fastpass came online) was 4 hours at TDL's Hunny Hunt and the reason for that is because the ride went down during my wait and that added an additional 1:45 to the wait. I also highly doubt that Indy ever had 6 hrs wait times, and while I have seen the lines at DL to be all over the place, we need to keep in mind this is a very compacted park, and what appears to be a long line, may not be horribly long but overflowing the smaller queue areas that DL seem to have.. PLus a long line is much more tolerable when it moves, which is exactly what the stand by lines do not do that well.. Indy of course was very popular when it opened as it should be, so imagine what a horrible mess it would have been to have FP on it from day 1. Also, may I ask.. if FP is so wonderful, then why the double standard with it from management? What makes Toy Story Mania at DHS so special as to have Fastpass, and Toy Story Mania at DCA open without it?? I personally would like to read management's decision for that duality. Why is FP good for one version of the ride and not the other? So those of you company spies reading and participating in this thread (you and I know who you are people!) please step up and tell us what management (especially at DLR) think of the Fastpass predicament in regards to Toy Story Mania...
    Of course TSMM has long wait times; it's a brand new ride. Every new major attraction always has huge wait times. The six hour wait times for Indy was mentioned in that thread by more than one poster. I didn't make that up. You actually believe that Fastpass would make that worse?!? How on earth can six hour waits be any worse? If they had Fastpass back then, the overall wait time would have to go down, as lots of people snagged a Fastpass for later. The fact that they had standby lines that insanely long highlights a crying need for Fastpass on the most popular rides. Danyoung even mentioned that the line took up space in Fronteirland. So almost everybody was waiting for Indy, and the other rides were almost deserted. That's nuts. Fastpass would have distributed the crowds around the park to avoid that kind of bottleneck.

    You keep harping on how rides run out of Fastpasses late in the day. So what? If you have to do the ride that day and you don't want to wait in line, show up earlier in the day. Or show up tomorrow. Or just get in line. The standby lines are not always that bad late in the day.

    As I mentioned before, most of the people in line are not long suffering victims of the Fastpass system. They are people who hold a Fastpass for another ride, and are going on this one in the meantime.

    Some people just can't show up early enough to get a Fastpass? That can only apply to people with APs, because anybody on vacation can show up early. If that's your complaint, then don't come crying to us. You're lucky enough to live within driving distance of Disney and have all year to enjoy the parks, you can cherry pick the times and dates you want to go, you can go there during the quietest times of the year and do any ride you want all day long, you can show up for an hour or twelve, and there will always be tomorrow.

    Meanwhile, the rest of us have to pay mucho dollars for plane + hotel + park hoppers, and you resent the fact that we can show up earlier than you to get a Fastpass, because we are on vacation? LOL. I paid well over four grand to go on two Disney trips, for a grand total of 13 days in the parks. How much did you spend on your AP + gas during that time? How many days did you get in the park? Let's see.. you paid a lot less than me, and you have access all year round. Yes, it's so unfair that I snagged some Fastpasses -- cry me a river.

    As for WDW having more Fastpass attractions than DLR...it's well known that comes down to a philosophical difference. Management at WDW embrace the Fastpass system a little more. Maybe it's because more tourists go to WDW, and tourists only have a limited number of days in the parks. They are often dependent on Fastpasses if they want to go see a very popular attraction during their stay. Someone with an AP can always come back next week, next month, during the off -season...but a tourist might not get to experience the most popular attractions at all if his family is there for a short while, and don't want to waste two hours in line.

    If you're going to be at WDW for a few days, two hours is a big chunk of your precious, expensive time in the parks. If you have an AP, your time in the parks is theoretically limitless, so what's a couple hours? Or come back at a better time, when the line isn't that bad. A tourist doesn't have that option, you see. They have a plane to catch on Sunday...then it's bye bye Disney.

    I'll tell you something else about APs (and this is particularly true at DLR of course)...if it wasn't for all the AP holders accounting for multiple visits each, the parks would not be so crowded...and the standby lines would not be so bad. On top of that, the AP holders also have access to fastpasses. They got nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-20-2008 at 07:22 PM.

  3. #93

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    I was going to respond to TDLFAN, but disneyfann put things very nicely.

  4. #94

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    I'm going to use TDLFAN's wacky reasoning and prove that no Disney attraction should be allowed to have any wait times at all. Ready? Check it out:

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Disney should NEVER put any guest in the position of having to make a decision about riding any ride based on Fastpass availability or not.
    Well, as everyone except TDLFAN knows, no guest makes a decision to ride strictly based on FastPass availability. FP availability is only one component. It usually goes this way: walk to attraction, groan at posted stand-by wait time, decide not to be stuck in line for that long, check FP return time & make decision. If no FP available, confirm stand-by wait is undesirable, then move on to the next attraction. There were 3 choices made there: Stand-by wait is not desireable, FP is preferred alternative, FP not available - stand-by still not desired, leave attraction. What was the last choice centered around before deciding to walk away? The posted wait time.

    People don't make decision based on FP availability, the choice always centers around the choice of being stuck in line, or not being stuck in line. For FP attractions, FP becomes an alternative to standing in line. It's a fair alternative because 98% of the time, the return time opens long after the duration of the posted stand-by wait would end, so FP-holders end up waiting much longer than Stand-by'ers, but just weren't stuck in the ride's queue. For attractions w/o FP, the choice reverts back to either wait or leave & maybe come back later hoping the wait's gone down.

    Now let's go back to this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Disney should NEVER put any guest in the position of having to make a decision about riding any ride based on Fastpass availability or not.
    Disney should never put any guest in the position of making a decision to ride based on FP availability.

    FP not-available reverts the decision back to being based strictly on wait times. (Before you jump up & down & say FP inflates wait times, remember all those FP'ers that would have been in line w/o FP. Regardless, when there are no FP's, it's either wait, or walk. Same choice as before.)

    Disney should never put any guest in the position of making a decision to ride based on wait times. (Law of Syllogisms - look it up)

    Very few guests voluntarily choose to wait in long posted wait times, prefer to use FP to eliminate stagnant waiting periods.

    Disney should never put any guest in the position of having to wait in a long posted wait time.

    Any guest would choose no wait time over having to wait.

    No Disney attraction should ever have a wait time.

    -----------------------

    What that really was was a proof that FP is indeed fair. It's as fair as any other means to deal with the fact that 3,000 guests cannot ride the same attraction at the same time, must wait their turn one way or the other, and how to, without creating a monetary class system of guests, provide an alternative to being stuck in line.

    Obviously, this alternative is greatly desired, because FP tickets can and do sell out over the course of a day. On busy days, they go faster than on non-busy days because of the incredible phenomenon of more people being in the park trying to acquire to the same number of available tickets as there are available on less busy days. If people wanted to be stuck in line, no one would really care about FP tickets & they'd never sell out. They must not be aware of how unfair FP is.

    And the fact people are willing to buy FP's on Ebay is even more illustration of how people really don't want to be stuck in line. Yes, some would pay extra for Universal-style line-cutting passes, but knows it would fall under extremely harsh criticism from people who say Disney is punishing those who can't afford to pay, and those people would have a legit complaint. THAT is unfair. Giving people a free, fair & open choice to stand in line or not stand in line, but still be able to ride the attraction sometime later without being stuck in line is indeed fair.

    -- PMM

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  5. #95

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,761
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Folks,

    Please reread our FAQ and do NOT attack each other. Stick to the topic. EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. However, NO ONE is permitted to use a thread as the justification to attack another member of this site. If you feel someone has broken the rules of MiceChat, please report the post and/or give them neg rep.

    Users who insist on being mean, nasty, and rude will be suspended from the thread and members are encouraged to neg rep those who refuse to post within the simple rules of this site.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  6. #96

    • Why can't you tune a fish
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE New Jersey - Yeah thats the place
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Typical.. you just illustrated why the system is unfair to the core. Disney should NEVER put any guest in the position of having to make a decision about riding any ride based on Fastpass availability or not. That is why your point of view will never fly with me, no matter how hard you try. I find that to be quite unfair, especially since the FP priviledge is free of charge. If Disney wants the guests to make such decisions as to ride or not to ride, they should make the guest make the decision at the ticket window: Choose to pay for the benefit or choose NOT to pay. If I choose NOT to pay for line cutting priviledge, then I will forfeit any
    right to rant about this and stand by like all other victims do.

    Just to play devils advocate here.

    Lets say it cost 5 cents a day for a person to use fast pass. How would that make things better?

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

  7. #97

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    What that really was was a proof that FP is indeed fair. It's as fair as any other means to deal with the fact that 3,000 guests cannot ride the same attraction at the same time, must wait their turn one way or the other, and how to, without creating a monetary class system of guests, provide an alternative to being stuck in line.
    Well said, Peoplemover. TDLFan was implying that before Fastpass, you didn't have to make difficult choices. Well, back then, you got to an attraction and you saw the posted wait sign. You had a choice: get in line, or go somewhere else and maybe forgo that attraction today. See, you still had the make the decision to ride or not to ride. Except now, you have a third choice -- and TDLfan wants us to think that this somehow makes things more difficult. I still don't get it.

  8. #98

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I was going to respond to TDLFAN, but disneyfann put things very nicely.
    And didn't sway me in the least because again... his/her argument is based on the "me, me, me" and not the big picture. All that space and nothing new was said that has not been mentioned by the same Fastpass Pressler/anit-TDLFAN advocates. Same for peoplemover's opinion.
    Personally, my rant is not going to change the way things are, so... you have won for the longest time and have nothing to loose right now. Me? I prefer to think I am not selfish about this issue.
    I still don't get it
    Neither does Disney so you are not alone... and mark my words.. the time will come for disney to charge a fee for Fastpass.. It may not be this decade, but it will happen... especially since some surveys being sent back to corporate are telling management that some guests are willing to do that for a chance to Fastpass at least once on all attractions that offer this service, and that is the beauty of the universal system... you get to do ALL of the express rides once.

    Like I have said before.. and I will say it again. I have NO problems with fastpass as long as guests who want to use it PAY FOR IT.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-20-2008 at 08:03 PM.

  9. #99

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    I don't expect to convince you, TDLFan. You seem very set in your opinion and impossible to convince, no matter how much we happen to make sense. I know others read these threads, and that is really who I'm addressing. I want to make sure people aren't swayed by irrational viewpoints, and turn against the Fastpass system.

    As for Disney eventually charging for Fastpasses...that's possible. But it would be a mistake. They've made mistakes before, haven't they?

  10. #100

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here.

    Lets say it cost 5 cents a day for a person to use fast pass. How would that make things better?
    Good question. Because by paying for it, it would open the fastpass system to ALL guests equally and not to just those who get to Fastpass machines before they run out for the day. Once a guest is blocked out from getting a Fp for any given attraction.. I can't hardly call that "fair treatment", and offering it free of charge does not make it any fairer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfann121
    Some people just can't show up early enough to get a Fastpass? That can only apply to people with APs, because anybody on vacation can show up early. If that's your complaint, then don't come crying to us. You're lucky enough to live within driving distance of Disney and have all year to enjoy the parks, you can cherry pick the times and dates you want to go, you can go there during the quietest times of the year and do any ride you want all day long, you can show up for an hour or twelve, and there will always be tomorrow.
    While I can see your point of view using the vacationer versus AP/local guest comparison... It does not mean that ALL vacating guests arrive at the parks early. Not everyone has the stamina for that type of commando style. Same for locals and APs as I know many who are just that and arrive at the park early while visiting there. So the percentage of vacationers/APs/locals who arrive early or late is not written in stone either. That is why I can not quite agree with you on this.

    Also, while the AP dilemma may seem unfair to the poor tourists, seems to me that Disney loves that segment of the guests' statistics because in the long term... there are a lot of APs who dump a lot of money in food/bev and souvenirs/hard ticket parties etc etc... which I would guess to be much more $$$ than what your avarage infrequent tourist would spend at WDW or any Disney resort.

    Memo to those of you Disney people: maybe some APs are willing to pay for access to FP services for a nominal fee... even after the machines have emptied out.. maybe something that management should consider offering... just a thought.

  11. #101

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I don't expect to convince you, TDLFan. You seem very set in your opinion and impossible to convince, no matter how much we happen to make sense.
    I can say the same for you and some others but that does not mean we have to kill each other over this.
    I know others read these threads, and that is really who I'm addressing. I want to make sure people aren't swayed by irrational viewpoints, and turn against the Fastpass system.
    I think your point of view can be seen as irrational as well to those who disagree with it... even if it makes sense to you and many others, like my point of view does based on my gazillion years of experience "in line' at those parks all over the World. Also, I know you are trying to address a certain demographic with your opinion, but these forums are read by just anyone... so I think it would be silly to believe those who have a strong opinion on the matter won't chime in...

    As for Disney eventually charging for Fastpasses...that's possible. But it would be a mistake. They've made mistakes before, haven't they?
    Well... I think Fastpass was one of them and so was that horrible DVC Tower at the Contemporary... to name a few more apart from those I brought up on another topic here not long ago... But I agree with you that Disney has made a lot of mistakes since it entered the theme park business... but, does that mean they will fix them mistakes? NO.
    You also argue that Disney would be making a mistake if they did charge for FP service. How so? I know there will always be people complaining about that, but honestly... I reckon that only those who are very familiar with this service will be inconvenienced by that. Bottom line is.. Disney is a "business", and they are not out there to make "our dreams come true". They are there to make the dough while offering entertainment that has a quality name attached to it. Does not mean Disney is quality in all they do as it is not, and the current state of some items at WDW is proof of that. The way Disney has found ways to increase their coffers with economy hotels, vacation clubs, frequent dinner cards, annual passes...etc etc, soon enough they will see that, regardless if what we think of Fastpass as disney fanatics... they will opt for the mighty dollar. For your sake, I hope that is not the case, but again... as Universal has proven... a line cutting system that costs money has increased customer satisfaction and revenue at their parks. You know why? Because with the majority of infrequent visitors to WDW, mostt of them will not know anything about Fastpass until they are presented with the choice to use it or buy it. I think charging for fastpass will be quite profitable for Disney because, unlike Universal... they at Disney have a bigger fan base and name recognition.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.

  12. #102

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Because by paying for it, it would open the fastpass system to ALL guests equally and not to just those who get to Fastpass machines before they run out for the day.
    But aren't you just shifting the perceived inequality from those to arrive late to those who don't have the extra money to buy a FP? And don't kid yourself - there are many many visiting families who have their budget down to the penny, will be eating grocery food in their rooms, have budgeted $20 for each of their kids to buy a souvenir, and simply don't have ANY extra money for a paid FP system.

    And what's to say that a paid FP system isn't going to sell out? Then aren't you prejudicing both those who don't have the cash AND those who arrive late?

  13. #103

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Moderator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    But aren't you just shifting the perceived inequality from those to arrive late to those who don't have the extra money to buy a FP?
    Yes, I think that is just the shift which would happen.

    But I'm not automatically opposed to what TDLfan proposes. Inequality does in fact exist at the parks now, based on wealth. Those with more money have better food (Victoria & Albert's), those without have to make do (Tony's). More money means the Bibbidi experience, all the expensive souvenirs, the prime seating for Fantasmic at Disneyland.

    FastPass at present is a bit of a leveler when it comes to income. As such, it's not entirely what Walt's park looked like (the one size fits all ticket did not arrive until after Walt's death; he collected actual cash at first and then A-E tickets later, both of which do discriminate based on wealth).

    Thus, the entire discussion necessarily does turn political. Do you want a park that levels the playing field, or one that responds to market forces?

    For me, this is the one part of the FastPass debate that is an open question, and on this one issue alone, I see the merits of both sides of the debate. Otherwise, I'm firmly in the "get rid of FP" camp.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

    I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

    “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

  14. #104

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Good question. Because by paying for it, it would open the fastpass system to ALL guests equally and not to just those who get to Fastpass machines before they run out for the day. Once a guest is blocked out from getting a Fp for any given attraction.. I can't hardly call that "fair treatment", and offering it free of charge does not make it any fairer.
    TDLFan, making people pay for Fastpass does not open the system to all guests equally. Not all guests have the same financial means.

    The argument that goes "if you can afford X, then you can afford X + Y" is not always valid. You made that kind of argument when you said "if you can afford a Disney vacation, you can afford to pay for Fastpass".

    Let's talk about reality for a second. The reality today is that plenty of people live paycheck to paycheck, are heavily leveraged, in debt up to their eyeballs, and have to save for a long time to "afford" a Disney vacation. They want to do something special for the kids, so they stretched their budget to the limit. They couldn't really afford a Disney vacation, but they made it happen because it meant so much to the kids. In an age of easy credit, you aren't seriously going to argue that people ONLY spend on things that they can afford, are you?

    Now say Disney starts charging for Fastpass. People who are straining to pay for their vacation (and probably getting even deeper in debt in the process) now face an unpalatable choice: add even more expense that they can't afford to pay, or get left out of the system and have to get in every standby line. Now they either spend more money that they don't have, or they spend too much of their precious time in line for the most popular attractions...and this might be their only Disney trip ever.

    While I can see your point of view using the vacationer versus AP/local guest comparison... It does not mean that ALL vacating guests arrive at the parks early. Not everyone has the stamina for that type of commando style. Same for locals and APs as I know many who are just that and arrive at the park early while visiting there. So the percentage of vacationers/APs/locals who arrive early or late is not written in stone either. That is why I can not quite agree with you on this.
    No one needs commando-style stamina to snag a Fastpass. It normally takes several hours for them to "sell out" -- usually they are still available by late afternoon or early evening, and sometimes they never sell out. I suppose they might disappear faster on the busiest days, but it's not as if you have to show up before the gates open first thing in the morning. That was the situation you faced before Fastpass, actually.

    Before Fastpass, that was your only choice to beat the crowds on the most popular rides. You got up at 6 or 7.m., inhaled your breakfast, rushed to the park, got in line, and then made a beeline for the most popular ride as soon as they opened. Now, you can show up long after the park opens and almost always still get a Fastpass.

    Also, while the AP dilemma may seem unfair to the poor tourists, seems to me that Disney loves that segment of the guests' statistics because in the long term... there are a lot of APs who dump a lot of money in food/bev and souvenirs/hard ticket parties etc etc... which I would guess to be much more $$$ than what your avarage infrequent tourist would spend at WDW or any Disney resort.
    The AP holders do swell the crowds at Disney parks year round. But I don't complain about them because I realize that there are other people in the world besides me, and those people have rights, too. My only point about AP holders is that sometimes they will get off work at 5, then go to the parks only to find that the Fastpasses are all gone. Obviously, someone on vacation can get there earlier. But all the other advantages of having an AP far outweigh this occasional inconvenience.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 07-21-2008 at 05:02 AM.

  15. #105

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Disney Fighting 'FastPass' Sales

    Well... I think Fastpass was one of them and so was that horrible DVC Tower at the Contemporary... to name a few more apart from those I brought up on another topic here not long ago... But I agree with you that Disney has made a lot of mistakes since it entered the theme park business... but, does that mean they will fix them mistakes? NO.
    You also argue that Disney would be making a mistake if they did charge for FP service. How so? I know there will always be people complaining about that, but honestly... I reckon that only those who are very familiar with this service will be inconvenienced by that. Bottom line is.. Disney is a "business", and they are not out there to make "our dreams come true". They are there to make the dough while offering entertainment that has a quality name attached to it. Does not mean Disney is quality in all they do as it is not, and the current state of some items at WDW is proof of that. The way Disney has found ways to increase their coffers with economy hotels, vacation clubs, frequent dinner cards, annual passes...etc etc, soon enough they will see that, regardless if what we think of Fastpass as disney fanatics... they will opt for the mighty dollar. For your sake, I hope that is not the case, but again... as Universal has proven... a line cutting system that costs money has increased customer satisfaction and revenue at their parks. You know why? Because with the majority of infrequent visitors to WDW, mostt of them will not know anything about Fastpass until they are presented with the choice to use it or buy it. I think charging for fastpass will be quite profitable for Disney because, unlike Universal... they at Disney have a bigger fan base and name recognition.
    It would be a mistake to start charging for Fastpass because the system has been free since it started 10 years ago. If they start charging for it after all this time, it will be seen as a shameless cash grab from a company that is already swimming in money, and patently unfair to the less affluent.

    The most loyal, repeat visitors are the ones who are most aware of Fastpass, and use it the most. Does Disney want to risk alienating these people? Occasional or one time visitors are important to the company, but a loyal fan base is their most valuable asset.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Retail To Post Record Sales
    By tjcjr in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 05:56 AM
  2. Disney kicks out youth teams for fighting - Florida Today, 12/10/07
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM
  3. EPCOT Fastpass Question - When to get Sorin' Fastpass
    By Doopey1 in forum Orlando Travel Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
  4. Disney Home video (DVD) sales down...
    By monorail_rider in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •