Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Functional & Decorative

Re: WDW Swan and Dolphin Awarded Best Resort

They give discounts to teachers in the off-seasons... that's how I got to stay there once, and I enjoyed it very much!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I love the Swan and Dolphin! I never get when someone says they are "not-Disney enough". The location is wonderful, they have the best beds and very nice rooms. The amenities - pools, etc. are great too.
    Yes, they are Starwood but guests get most Disney perks (like EMH.) They also have a large number of former Disney CMs working for them too.

• RESCUE RANGERS BIG FAN

MIAMI, FLORIDA ARE PLANNING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO, FLORIDA

I love the Dolphin! That's why this september we take the dolphin!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I think they both look ugly on the outside, but I'm sure they're beautiful inside.
    I wouldn't say they were ugly on the outside as much as I'd say that they look misplaced from some angles

they look fine as hotels and the look really tells me they must be expensive and nice inside. I just hate seeing them tower over the backside of MGM or appear in the distance around Epcot.

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    Ok then longtime 'Swan and Dolphin' fans, it's time to test your knowledge ... who remembers "Norman the Doorman" ?
    I thought it was Gordon Norman the Morman Doorman
    Janette

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    They also have a large number of former Disney CMs working for them too.
    You mean like Mr. Ouimet. With Former CM Matt around that company, no wonder they won the award!
    -Monorail Man

• 1st visit 1975

How can I put this? I don't like the Dolphin & Swan. They charge less because they are less. Expectations for really high class accommodations at these hotels is disappointing, the reality is they are upper moderate level.

The public areas lack the level of detail at a 1st class resort. Marble, brass, wood in furnishings and room detail details. No 1st class hotel puts a flat metal door on a hotel room. Everything is just painted on flat drywall. If there is any decorative trim, it's painted Styrofoam. The recreation facilities are nothing "special" - where is the flumes, theming etc.

This is not to say the hotel doesn't provide real quality service with a great staff but it is just doesn't compare to the hotels next door. The Yacht and Beach Resort and Boardwalk Resort blow the Swan & Dolphin out of the water.

Then there is the question of why were these hotels plopped in the middle of WDW? The answer is to avoid a nasty legal battle. Tishman Construction had a deal to build a hotel approximately where the Florida Team Disney Building is today, around 1982-3. Disney was going through various battles to remain independent and ended up free with two new leaders, Michael Eisner and Frank Wells. Somehow the contract was not honored and a battle ensued. The solution was to relocate the hotels to the current site. This was also the beginning of Michael Eisner infatuation with celebrity architects. Michael Graves designed the building in a post-modern style which explains the lack of real vs painted (cheap) details and despite the objections of WDI, Eisner allowed them to be built as is. So today we have to live with visual intrusions to the DHS and EPCOT and the EPCOT resort area.

I work in the convention business and see hundreds of facilities every year and the Swan & Dolphin are not the top of the heap. Check out the Marriott World Center, JW Marriott and the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort for comparison.

Lastly this whole vote was by travel agents, hmmm they will probably vote the hotel which pays the MOST commissions back consistently as the number one hotel.

I'd rather stay at Wilderness Lodge.

• Rear Window=Best Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    How can I put this? I don't like the Dolphin & Swan. They charge less because they are less. Expectations for really high class accommodations at these hotels is disappointing, the reality is they are upper moderate level.

The public areas lack the level of detail at a 1st class resort. Marble, brass, wood in furnishings and room detail details. No 1st class hotel puts a flat metal door on a hotel room. Everything is just painted on flat drywall. If there is any decorative trim, it's painted Styrofoam. The recreation facilities are nothing "special" - where is the flumes, theming etc.

This is not to say the hotel doesn't provide real quality service with a great staff but it is just doesn't compare to the hotels next door. The Yacht and Beach Resort and Boardwalk Resort blow the Swan & Dolphin out of the water.

Then there is the question of why were these hotels plopped in the middle of WDW? The answer is to avoid a nasty legal battle. Tishman Construction had a deal to build a hotel approximately where the Florida Team Disney Building is today, around 1982-3. Disney was going through various battles to remain independent and ended up free with two new leaders, Michael Eisner and Frank Wells. Somehow the contract was not honored and a battle ensued. The solution was to relocate the hotels to the current site. This was also the beginning of Michael Eisner infatuation with celebrity architects. Michael Graves designed the building in a post-modern style which explains the lack of real vs painted (cheap) details and despite the objections of WDI, Eisner allowed them to be built as is. So today we have to live with visual intrusions to the DHS and EPCOT and the EPCOT resort area.

I work in the convention business and see hundreds of facilities every year and the Swan & Dolphin are not the top of the heap. Check out the Marriott World Center, JW Marriott and the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort for comparison.

Lastly this whole vote was by travel agents, hmmm they will probably vote the hotel which pays the MOST commissions back consistently as the number one hotel.

I'd rather stay at Wilderness Lodge.
    At least they have a nice bed @ The dolphin. Unlike the Wilderness Lodge.

• back to WDW in January

They charge less because they are less
    That may be true but you get what you pay for and for the money, the Swan and Dolphin are fine accomodations. Not everyone can afford higher priced resorts so this one fits many folks on a limited budget quite nicely. And the location is absolutely prime.

As you say, they have wonderful service at the S&D which is something I definitely find most appealing at any hotel. And since the Yacht and Beach Club are considered such high end Disney hotels and cost quite a bit more than the S&D then they better live up to those standards and blow any lower priced hotel out of the water.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I like the Gaylord Palms there.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

They are beautiful on the inside. The outside is just way over the top in gawdy.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12