• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney Security officer fired for bringing gun to work

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: Disney Security officer fired for bringing gun to work

Disney is exempt from the new gun law. A last minute change was made to the bill before it was passed... any company holding a valid explosives license would be exempt.

The company followed past and current protocol and did no wrong.

Universal also bars its employees from keeping a firearm in their vehicle while at work. However, it is exempt from the law because it operates an education program on property.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Attention whore!

I would feel bad for the guy if he didn't blab to his co-workers and the media that he was planning to sue all along. Now he's out of a job when the unemployment rate is ridiculous and he's pretty much branded himself as an undesirable employee.

Sigh... you pick and choose your battles, he chose poorly.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Disney is exempt from the new gun law. A last minute change was made to the bill before it was passed... any company holding a valid explosives license would be exempt.

The company followed past and current protocol and did no wrong.

Universal also bars its employees from keeping a firearm in their vehicle while at work. However, it is exempt from the law because it operates an education program on property.

Thats it exactly. Before this turns into a super flame fest, there are some facts.

1) Guns were never allowed in the parks, before or after this law

2) Nobody wanted to bring a gun INTO the parks

3) A law was recently passed in FL that said employeers cannot pervent an employee from bringing a gun to work and leaving it in their car.

4) In the eleventh hour, a lobbying group, partly supported by WDW, added some changes that exempted companies that hold a federal explosives license from this law.

I have a few personal feeling about this whole thing.

The guy who brought his gun to WDW must enjoy tilting at windmills. There are much better ways to voice ones displeasure then to blatantly violate the law. This law is also currently under review, so his actions are a little too late.

I believe that there are indeed valid reasons for a person to want to travel to and from work with a gun in their car.

I personaly do not, not only for the reason that my work forbids it, but because I would not be comfortable leaving a firearm in my car unattended.

I also believe that while citizens have second amendment rights, businesses as private property owners have the right to dictate what can and cannot be on their property. If a company wants to dictate that guns are not allowed on it's property - even in the parking lot, then I believe that is their right, and it's not the governemnts place to force them to allow it. An individual has the choice to work there or not. I also happen to know of a jewelery manufacturing location that requires their employees to be armed when on the permises. That too is their right, if you want to work there they train you, issue you a weapon, and expect you to carry it when in the building. They do not expect you to fight off a threat, but their security planner wants everyone in the location armed.

Lastly, while I agree with the ends (so far) - WDW maintaining its rights as a company to choose what it wants on its property, I do not like the means it used to get to these ends. I do not like loopholes. Our laws are full of enough of them allready.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 07-08-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Silly castmember, Guns are for police officers!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^