• Armchair Imagineer

Old Boss is Now a Cast Member!

If you pay a visit to Disney's Animal Kingdom and ride the Kilimanjaro Safari, be sure to look out for "Bob" from Sacramento, California. Bob is my old (and best) Boss! He was always a Disney Fan (of great intensity) who dreamed of retiring and moving out to Orlando and working for Disney. He achieved his dream and is loving it -- Bob's fun personality makes him a perfect fit for the Disney Parks. Look for Bob and say hello from Doctor Q!
    Last edited by DoctorQ9; 07-13-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Addition of Photograph of Bob

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Old Boss is Now a Cast Member!

That is awesome!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Well done Bob..lol

• Disappearing/Reappearing

that's wonderful! That's me and my husband's dream too. So, it's great to see someone accomplish it

I believe I worked with Bob shortly before ending my College Program stint. It's a big crew over at the safari, but somehow we all seemed like family.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Hmph! I sure wish MY old boss would git a job at a Dizzy theme park, hisself!! That way I wouldn't be havin' ta see that ol' Horny King so much!

ORDDU: Would you like to re-think that, dear? We spend more time at the Disney theme parks than we do in Morva. If the Horned King managed to find employment at any one of them, we'd end up seeing TWICE as much of him as we do, now!

ORGOCH: Oh, yeah, I fergot. Must a had myself a Orwen moment there.

ORWEN: Shut up old biddy--unless you can learn to say something more positive like DoctorQ9 does. If he says his boss was a nice person then we should look forward to meeting him some day, too!

ORGOCH: Yeah, sure! End up scarin' the poor guy so much he goes an' turns in his walkin' papers ta the folks at Animal Cracker Kingdom an' ends up in some nut house 'cause he saw YER ugly mug once too much!

ORDDU: (Sigh) Sorry for this little 'family dispute', DoctorQ9, dear. Unfortunately, some sister witches never change. However, we DO hope that your former boss has a long and worthwhile stay at Animal Kingdom.

That was my dream too, and now I am living it as well. A job I had in South Florida was outsourced to India, and I moved up to Orlando and am now working at Disney.

• Mostly Harmless.

Why won't they hire me??? I know they have use for a helicopter mechanic there somewhere. Even if they don't they have my resume...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Why won't they hire me??? I know they have use for a helicopter mechanic there somewhere. Even if they don't they have my resume...
    you'd be surprised the kind of credentials some of the folks working in the parks have.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Mostly Harmless.

I know that theme parks like having Aircraft Mechanics on staff. We can be a bit meticulous about our work. From day one safety of others is pounded into our heads. Basically the theory is this: if a car stops working it coast to the side of the road, if an aircraft stops working it falls out of the air. It seems a bit off subject, and it may be (seeing as how its just before 5 am and I just woke up), but I think working on amusement park attractions one would have to have the same safety views for the general public. It comes down to would I let my family on this after I fixed it?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    I think working on amusement park attractions one would have to have the same safety views for the general public. It comes down to would I let my family on this after I fixed it?
    You are spot on. That's what makes the "stupid little safety procedures" that we as Cast Members like to complain about so enormously important. The rules are there for a reason, and if everyone follows them then everything runs smoothly and some great things happen. But when safety become lax, that is when trouble begins to mount. And its not just the onstage Cast Members that are crucial in this scenario. The backstage Crew is just as important if not more important, especially as the complexity of these attractions keeps expanding. Some of these ride systems are dangerously complex, but thanks to the dedication of a bunch of people who (hopefully) take safety and security to heart as much as you do, things still seem to work out.

Sounds to me like you'd be a fantastic Cast Member, onstage or off.